• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef industry: Think twice about the franks

Mudpuppie

Maybe this is not the place to ask, but considering that people are discussing these sorts of things: what IS it that makes hot dogs taste like hot dogs?

Well, if you're a fan of Kids in the Hall, you'll know that the secret ingredient is WIENER FLAVOUR! (If you're not a fan, you'll have no idea what the hell I'm talking about...)

I found an interesting link Focus On Hot Dogs - a USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service site. It has a full definition of a "hot dog", and applicable rules and regulations. For example:

-> they consist of not less than 15% of one or more kinds of raw skeletal muscle meat with raw meat byproducts

-> the byproducts (heart, kidney, or liver, for example) must be named with the derived species and be individually named in the ingredients statement

-> Turkey Franks or Chicken Franks can contain turkey or chicken and turkey or chicken skin and fat in proportion to a turkey or chicken carcass.

Also, did you know that "The definition of "meat" was amended in December 1994 to include any "meat" product that is produced by advanced meat/bone separation machinery"?

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Also, did you know that "The definition of "meat" was amended in December 1994 to include any "meat" product that is produced by advanced meat/bone separation machinery"?

ACK!

That sounds to me like that could get all kinds of nerve tissue off of spinal chords etc. I wonder if that will be changing given the BSE situation.

I think what we are looking for concerning the "essence of hot dog" is... what is the seasoning mix? I would think that is the defining characteristic. After that, "meat" is just the carrier for the seasoning.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I think what we are looking for concerning the "essence of hot dog" is... what is the seasoning mix? I would think that is the defining characteristic. After that, "meat" is just the carrier for the seasoning.

Ah yes... The ESSENCE of the hot dog!

Well, here's another good link A Hot Dog Primer for Inquiring Minds from our good friends at the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council.

Along with meat and water, other ingredients are "curing agents and spices, such as garlic, salt, sugar, ground mustard, nutmeg, coriander and white pepper"

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Interesting. That is an interesting combination of seasonings. The nutmeg is unexpected. I am sure every producer has their "special recipe". They all taste the same to me. Further, if they don't, they aren't a hot dog. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose