• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco: wine shops

sput

California is not one of those states that limits when a person can purchase alchol (except between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.). There are no Day restrictions.

You didn't mention if there was any particular kind of wine you wanted to purchase. Not knowing exactly where Union Square is relation to my favorite places to purchase, I frequent the following:

The Jug Shop · 1567 Pacific Avenue · San Francisco · CA · 94109 (great selection of Italian and French)

Dee Vine Wines · Pier 19 · The Embarcadero · San Francisco · CA · 94111 (for German).

For California wine, I buy in Napa and Sonoma.

Also, can anyone recommend a good wine shop in Union Square?

John Walker & Co. is an excellent wine shop at 175 Sutter @ Kearny just off Union Square. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be open on Sundays.

K&L Wine Merchants is a bit of a hike in SoMa on 4th between Brannan and Townsend. They are one of my favorite places to shop for wine with an extremely helpful and knowledgeable staff, and are open Sundays from 11 am to 6 pm.

Squeat

Can you buy wine at retail in San Francisco on Sundays?

Wow. Just had a major NYC flashback. Can't tell you how ticked I was when I found out I couldn't shop for booze on a Sunday...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.