• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pancakes!

sherribabee

These oatmeal pancakes are my favorite, partly because they sit over night so there's no work to do in the morning. I'm not a fan of fluffy cakey pancakes (unless they have blueberries in them), and these have a satisfying chew from the oats. When I do have time (which hasn't been for at least 2 years now) I like to make my mom's cornmeal pancakes which have beaten egg whites. They are light and crispy and delicious. Man, I wish I was going to have a day off in the foreseeable future. :angry:

So many pancakes, so few mornings with enough time . . .

My favorite pancake has a stick of butter in the recipe. A thin, rich pancake for special occassions.

If I have buttermilk on hand, I like the Joy of Cooking buttermilk pancake.

If I plan ahead, I like a pancake that starts by soaking oatmeal in buttermilk overnight.

If I'm feeling rustic, I like a cornmeal pancake with pieces of corn in it.

Banana is my favorite fruit add in, especially good in the butter pancake. Sometimes banana walnut. I like blueberries, of course, but I think fruit takes away from the texture of the pancake, better stewed and placed on top.

I am in agreement that quality butter and real maple syrup (grade B, please) is essential, and no pancake tastes good without them.

Thanks for the tip on the Marion Cunningham. Her Breakfast Book is one of my favorite cookbooks. Everything in it is tops.

Growing up, my mother had a griddle in the stove. This is best. Second best is the electric griddle, you get wonderful results with that. Third best cast iron.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

this might be a place to tip my hat to the place that makes the best pancakes i've had: Maggie's Krooked Café, in Tannersville, New York.

It looks like a typical cutesy/touristy café in a typical catskills ski town. But the breakfast is out of this world. I haven't found a better brunch in Manhattan (I'm more of a pancake guy than an omelette/caviar guy) in the mornings.

If you're a New Yorker and an ice climber, this is the only place you need to know about.

Notes from the underbelly

• 8 months later...

That ricotta recipe is the one in the Gourmet Yellow Book. They credit that place in Australia you linked to.

They also give us Americans a recipe for the honeycomb candy used in the butter, but I discovered that in a pinch I can buy the honeycomb crunch, (it's called Violet Crumble or something like that) in World Market and Giant. I actually used the honeycomb butter in a batch of tart cherry scones and it was wonderful.

I recently made poppy-sunflower seed pancakes from the 101 Recipes blog but my family panned it, although the chunky orange syrup was delicious.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

DH and I like our pancakes more like crepes -- very thin, not fluffy at all -- so he uses the recipe in his old better homes and gardens cookbook but doubles the milk. I loooove them -- I usually just sprinkle them with granulated sugar, roll them up, and eat them with my hands. But homemade black raspberry syrup on them is pretty killer too...