• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Tom Aikens

I have to say that I was truly scared by Mrs Aikens - Tom seemed almost to cower whenever she addressed something directly at him and her begging him to say something, when, quite frankly, he looked dead on his feet, was cringeworthingly embarrassing.

Although I am only a newbie in this whole food game, I was so impressed by the time, effort and love that Tom and his staff put into the whole experience. I have always been impressed by sheer determination to succeed and this programme (along with this thread!) have encouraged me to book a table ASAP.

Scared, she was terrifying!

To be fair, people always come across a bit over the top on those sort of programs (I'd imagine there was a fair amount of editing going on as well)

I thought that dish with the salad 'Tree' rising a foot high in the middle looked a bit over the top. Pigs head looked good though.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

They must have been so shocked when Matthew Fort turned up booked under somebody elses name and dragging a TV crew along with him from the same production company. :hmmm:

Noticeable how the kitchen was the only place that Tom dared speak. Give the guy a break, that chef obviously needed branding!! :rolleyes:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Incidentally I thought the food looked good and the restaurant looked nice during the day although I'm not so sure about those sorts of colour schemes in the evenings. I shall try and visit shortly, obviously using an assumed name in case they have read this thread :biggrin:

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I shall try and visit shortly, obviously using an assumed name in case they have read this thread :biggrin:

Apparently they have read this thread and are not thrilled skinny with all of its contents. I booked under my own name for Monday, but they'll never guess. I mean, there must be thousands of Lynes' spelt with a "Y" in the UK, aren't there?

The "mullet" sequence is surely up there with the "Can you cook an artichoke?" scene from Gordon Ramsay's Boiling Point as one of the all time great bits of foodie TV.

I liked the 'Place the F***ing onions' myself.

Seems odd that if they were struggling making money that they didn't decide to open weekends.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Did anyone see it? I was seriously impressed with the both of them. And the plates looked incredible.

Moby,

you're kidding right, by the end I would have paid to slap her!

Still might, wonder if they can fit me in. :wink:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

The "mullet" sequence is surely up there with the "Can you cook an artichoke?" scene from Gordon Ramsay's Boiling Point as one of the all time great bits of foodie TV.

Seems odd that if they were struggling making money that they didn't decide to open weekends.

shortage of mullet could have been a limiting factor

Ability to cook does not, alas, carry with it the ability to talk or to design. Not many chefs are, like Shaun Hill, Greek scholars with published textbooks to their credit; nor do they, like Adria, create miniature sculptures worthy of more durable materials.

Mirabel Osler, in A Spoon with Every Course, wisely advises the reader not to judge a French restaurant by its decor. And in his essay, Bullets and Smashed Homelettes, Simon Loftus observes:

Chefs mince their words, chopping and blending polyglot idioms into a mishmash of unappetizing jargon.
Except, of course, the chefs contributing to eGullet, who can turn a phrase as neatly as a pancake! :biggrin:

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

shortage of mullet could have been a limiting factor

:laugh:

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally made it into TA's for lunch on Monday after many attempts trying to get in in the evening. Not sure what all the fuss is about on this place, except to say that the food certainly has plenty of fuss.

I took the £70 tasing menu. For me, too much is going on with the food. The fundamental ingredient of each course is smothered with too many other taste sensations.

It's OK, but I don't know what everyone's raving about - I can easily see this place being a two or three year flash in the pan (excuse the pun). Just my opinion, you undertsand!

Cheers, Howard

I like the part where NO ONE ever complains, I think that's because Mrs Aikens bought her hearing aid from Brilliant Industries...

In my short experience, she is certainly not the sort of person you'd want to pick a fight with.

As an example, during the meal last Monday, I had to take a short call from the better half who I'd taken into hospital that morning for an op under general anaesthetic (hence why I was unusually had an opportunity for lunch). My phone was on vibrate, and when it rang I immediately walked outside as I usually do to take the call rather than subject the other diners to my phone call.

Missus Aikens was not overly amused and was rather blunt about telling me that my sea bass was ready and what should they do with it. I don't know what the fuss was about - it was a cold course anyway. I hate to say it but I ended up finding myself apologising to her.

I don't think she knows how to deal with things tactfully. Not the sort of lady I'd contemplate messing with at all.

Cheers, Howard

I like the part where NO ONE ever complains, I think that's because Mrs Aikens bought her hearing aid from Brilliant Industries...

In my short experience, she is certainly not the sort of person you'd want to pick a fight with.

As an example, during the meal last Monday, I had to take a short call from the better half who I'd taken into hospital that morning for an op under general anaesthetic (hence why I was unusually had an opportunity for lunch). My phone was on vibrate, and when it rang I immediately walked outside as I usually do to take the call rather than subject the other diners to my phone call.

Missus Aikens was not overly amused and was rather blunt about telling me that my sea bass was ready and what should they do with it. I don't know what the fuss was about - it was a cold course anyway. I hate to say it but I ended up finding myself apologising to her.

I don't think she knows how to deal with things tactfully. Not the sort of lady I'd contemplate messing with at all.

Cheers, Howard

if you saw the TV programme, just thank your lucky stars it wasn't the famous "slow cooked" mullet - that could have set the whole place off.

its great isn't it, when you spend hundreds of pounds and be made to feel they've done you a favour deigning to let you dine there.

is it me or does anyone else know of such a high profile haute cusine place that has engendered such mixed reviews?

i've certainly not felt the need to rush back but opinions seem to polarise, which i can understand if the cooking was un peu outre like the fact duck but there's nothing to be scared of at ta. why such difference of opinion i wonder?

cheers

gary

ps on my trip the best member of staff was gearoid devanny the sommelier, he knew and cared and we weren't going mad as we had a meeeting after. (although he did think we were in the wine trade when he overheard us talking about going on to corney and barrow, unfortunately it was the bar, not the wine merchants :biggrin:)

you don't win friends with salad

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3714.htm

caroline Timmins review is interesing (3rd entry down at present)

sarah x

I like Clare McIntosh's comment "Being greeted by a champagne trolley was a brilliant idea!". I agree, it's bound to do a better job of it than Mrs Aikens if my recent experience is anything to go by.

its great isn't it, when you spend hundreds of pounds and be made to feel they've done you a favour deigning to let you dine there.

is it me or does anyone else know of such a high profile haute cusine place that has engendered such mixed reviews?...

I'm planning a 1 week trip to London in May - and - after reading hundreds of pages of restaurant descriptions and reviews - I know this isn't the only place where the reading is "mixed". But - at some point - you simply have to "bite the bullet" and make reservations. So - I ask in all seriousness - is this a place worth dining at? I am not interested in putting another "notch" on my belt (at my age - I have plenty of notches on my belt). I'm interested in good food - pleasant inviting atmosphere - and not getting into a fight with anyone (I don't know about anyone else - but if someone is grumpy and tries to pick a fight with me - I fight back - I don't think one should ever have to do that at a restaurant). Robyn