• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin

Hibiscus get a well deserved two Star- and about bloody time too.

Two new pubs get a One star as well - The Greyhound, Stockbridge and The Trouble House Tetbury.

McClements in Twickenham get a *star as does Tom Aikens.

Those losing their star - include Toby Hill at Lords of the Manor. I am not wholly surprised as the service was incredibly shoddy when we were there last September. A shame as the food, when it eventually arrived was good- if a little cold.

See here http://news.webmichelin.com/servlet/com.sq...lementCode=7369

Connaught got 1 (why?) but nothing for sketch

I've been to the Connaught about nine or ten times since Angela Hartnett took over, enough at any rate for them to know me by name when I go. In general I like it and I am not surprised that it gained a star. It's in my top five preferred restaurants in London.

I've had an indifferent course there about six weeks ago and it's still on the menu as of last Sunday. It's a starter with an enormous piece of pan fried foie gras, and three baby toms in a minimalist garnish. Garnish is yummy. The problem is that you can't properly pan fry such a large piece of foie gras, as it's not a slice (looks like it's a whole liver), so you end up with an inconsistent caramelisation over the surface - overdone in the middle, raw at the ends and sides. I love foie gras, but in moderation please!

I have also had two bad wines at the Connaught (and a wine has to be really obviously bad for me to send it back), including an Yquem.

In my opinion the Connaught also has the best Chef's table of the Ramsay restaurants, although I have yet to try the Savoy.

Other than that I particularly like the slightly less formal atmosphere and the service.

Regarding Sketch (library/lecture fine dining area), I am slightly surprised they didn't get anything, although I have only been there once - my wallet is not bottomless (£700 for two)! Very friendly service, fairly informal, an unforgettably historic dining experience, but an astronomical wine list (almost nothing in there much under £100), very limited cheeseboard.

Perhaps consistency isn't up to scratch at Sketch, or maybe they think they're too exclusive even for Michelin. I refer to Sketch as my Concorde dining experience - you indulge once, but after that it becomes increasingly passe.

Cheers, Howard

It's confirmed.

Petrus, Hartnett, and Aikens.

from the Standard (you have to subscribe).

Edit to add: Haven't found anything on Morgan M... and the Standard list omitted Hisbiscus.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Erm, there's no star for Petrus on the press release from the Michelin website, there is a star for the Savoy Grill though. Unless you mean it retains its old one from the former site?

At the bottom of this page is a pdf to download: Michelin

But here is the list anyhoo:

From 2 to 3 Stars: Fat Duck

From 1 to 2 stars: Hibiscus

1 star

Ballachulish House, Ballachulish, Scotland

Black Pig, Rock, Cornwall

Five North St, Winchcombe, Glos.

JSW, Petersfield, Hants

McClements, Twickenham, London

Menu & Grill at The Connaught, Mayfair, London

Ockenden Manor, Cuckfield, West Sussex

The Greyhound, Stockbridge, Hants

The Longridge Restaurant, Longridge, Lancs

The Oriel, Gilford, N. Ireland

The Savoy Grill, Strand, London

The Trouble House, Tetbury, Glos.

The West House, Bidddenden, Kent

Tom Aikens, Chelsea, London

Edited by Mrs Woman (log)

I'm stunned that Sketch didn't get anything at all as that was the best dining (actually lunch) experience I had last year....I would put at 1-2 stars.

Has Fat Duck improved in the last couple of years...otherwise I certainly wouldn't put it at 3 stars. Yes the food is interesting but not totally successful imho and not actually as interesting as Sketch..

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

I love the fat duck, but I would not have thought 3 stars.

I can't believe, given the praise heaped on the actual cooking, that sketch doesn't warrant a star.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Pleased to see Ockenden Manor on the list as it's about 20 minutes away from where I live. Executive chef is Martin Hadden, ex-Gidleigh Park (Shaun Hill era) and Chez Nico. I had a really outstanding meal at his Priory House restaurant near Taunton and the award of the star seems to indicate he is doing equally good things virtually on my doorstep. I heard rumours a while back that he was looking to open a restaurant in Brighton, but that hasn't happend so far.

Website

I can't believe, given the praise heaped on the actual cooking, that sketch doesn't warrant a star.

is it at all possible the price could be a factor?

Price isn't a factor in awarding Michelin stars. Robyn

is it at all possible the price could be a factor?

And as Scott pointed out, the prices aren't out of the league of its French cousins. Only its English ones.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP