• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roy Guste, Jr., formerly of Antoine's

skchai

This is in the what-are-they-doing-now category.

20 years ago (!), as I'm sure many of you know, he was the chosen one who was supposed to take the Alciatore / Guste family of Antoine's fame into the next century. This is before he crashed out with his hugely ambitious but ultimately doomed nouvelle-Creole-before-its-time Guste's Restaraunt, which closed after only several months.

Since then, it doesn't seems like he's been directly involved with Antoine's, though I've noticed that he's written a number of cookbooks. Always seemed like a fascinating character. Has he had any involvement in the restaurant business any more? And what is going on with Antoine's nowadays, anyway?

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I think he is pretty much out of the restaurant biz and into publishing full time. You still see him in the society pages occasionally and he has published a number of books in the last ten years. I have the Bean Book and the Secret Gardens of the Vieux Carre. (the courtyard of my wife's apt is in it, although we have nothing to do with the garden).

The second link will lead you to his many other books, as well.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 3 months later...

Recently picked up really cheap copies of The 100 Greatest New Orleans Creole Recipes and Antoine's Cookbook by Roy Guste at my local used bookstore. Both were a joy to read. The Antoine's Cookbook has got to be one of the best-organized and most complete restaurant cookbooks ever written, with well over a hundred of their dishes spelled out in detail and context, a long history of the restaurant, ancient photographs, reprints of old menus, etc. The Creole Recipe book is equally detailed and even contains a recipe for Oysters Rockefeller. Guste's encyclopedic knowledge and love for Creole cuisine really comes through.

Made me wonder why the Alcatoire / Guste family doesn't hand a management role in the restaurant back to him before it slowly slides away into irrelevance. . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host