• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Want to make Tres Leches Cake (THREE MILKS CAKE)

cakedecorator1968

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever prepared or eaten Tres Leche Cake? (It's a popular Mexican cake soaked in 3 milks).

It's my first time with these and I want to make some individual portions as a dessert special. Apparently they are commonly topped with browned meringue or whipped cream.

I'm thinking things like caramel, coconut, rum, vanilla, chilies etc. could be used in the accompanying sauces or garnishes.

I'm thinking I could make them in small ring molds or in triangular terrine pans.

Any suggestions welcome.

Have a nice day!

BB

Tres leches is a nice base dessert, which can handle an assortment of flavors. One favor that you may want to do for your self is to ensure that the over all cake is not to sweet. This can distract the palate from the flavors that you are trying to give it. I really like the soft texture that tres leches has to offer and I personally like it with an orange flavor to it. Maybe a Panela-Grand Marnier sauce or some thing with caramel notes.

If you want to do cut outs of the cake you chill the cake very well be for cutting it out. Another thing to try is doing it in small muffin pans. When the cake comes from the oven you can cut of the portion of the cake that has risen above the pan. This gives you individual portions. Then pour on the soaking liquid and cool.

Well I hope that this has helped some.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

Even more fun for this dessert.

I have done a "Tres Leches" dessert before, but instead of using the traditional cake I did a variation. It was for a "Nuevo Latino" (no matter how cliché it sounds) dinner, six courses... I think. Anyhow, we made a very "milky" cake (from whole milk), sheep’s milk yogurt sorbet, and a goat’s milk caramel. So we used three different milks for the tres leches. No real revelation for the pastry world, but it was fun for the dinner.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

For the best appearance I'd bake them in individual molds rather them cut out of sheet pan. Although if you don't have suitable molds, you should cut out your cakes before soaking them because the soaked cakes will be too hard to handle. Myspanish friends have taught me to use whip cream to garnish and a splash of rum in the 3 milks. This is a pretty versatile cake and you could definately dress it up with garnishes, any of your ideas should work well!.........but chiles-....not for me please.

Also- other tips, I find it best to really dry out this cake so it acts like a sponge to the milks. I over bake my sponge cake for this (you don't want a moist cake here) and leave it uncovered overnight on the counter (NOT in a cooler, where it can pick up moisture). A dry cake is best..........breaking all the rules because the 3 milks will flavor and moisten this. If I was guessing, I think thats why they invented this cake, to use up a old dry cake.

I make this at home all the time and I never use whip cream for topping I much prefer the egg white meringue topping. The three milks I use are pretty trditional whole, condensed and evaporated.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I believe the tres leches are traditionally made with maringue, but I think I nice coconut cream can also go. The last time I made them was by using a recipe from Saveur and I made them in tall pastry rings, cutting back the sugar in the cake and topped them with some burnt sugar sauce instead.

edit: I thought about using tropical fruits in the sauce, so you may want to play with that.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Many Tres Leches cakes are garnished with fresh strawberries. They look pretty and taste great.

And whoever said to serve it well-chilled is right. And not too sweet. That wonderful whole milk flavor is just sublime (to lapse into cliche).

Rick Bayless has a recipe using cajeta for one of the milks. I've also made a delicious version with rompope (a kind of Mexican eggnog available in liquor stores), which gives it that boozy flavor someone mentioned.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever prepared or eaten Tres Leche Cake? (It's a popular Mexican cake soaked in 3 milks).

It's my first time with these and I want to make some individual portions as a dessert special. Apparently they are commonly topped with browned meringue or whipped cream.

I'm thinking things like caramel, coconut, rum, vanilla, chilies etc. could be used in the accompanying sauces or garnishes.

I'm thinking I could make them in small ring molds or in triangular terrine pans.

Any suggestions welcome.

Have a nice day!

BB

I have eaten traditional Cuban tres leches many times (if there's a Mexican version - I'm not familiar with it). Are you trying to make the traditional dish - or just doing a variation on a theme? Note that the traditional version is very very much too sweet in my opinion. Robyn

Pastel de Tres Leches is very traditional in Mexico. It is probably the number-one cake served at celebrations of all kinds, particularly weddings and birthdays. In fact, I have seen it called "Celebration Cake" at various places in Mexico.

It certainly doesn't HAVE to be "too sweet." I don't care for it so sweet, either. The best versions make the milk the star. And especially when strawberries are added, the tang of the fruit cuts the sweetness.

Rick Bayless' version in "Mexican Kitchen" has an orange and almond and caramel (cajeta) flavor.

Tres Leches is probably my favorite cake. I think it's wonderful when done correctly.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the Rick Bayless Tres Leches recipe.

I made RB's version last summer. Everyone loved it. I didn't have any oranges, so I used orange extract in the cake. Since I only had Cointreau, I used that in the whipped cream frosting, but I think Grand Marinier would have been better. I didn't have cajeta (this was a last-minute pull-together from the cupboards), so I used sweetened condensed milk. Make sure you use all of the milk syrup. It may seem like a lot but the cake can handle it.

I thought the cake came out yummy, but then again I had never had tres leches before so I had nothing to compare it to :biggrin:

IIRC, Tres Leches is Nicaraguan in origin (though between them and Mexico, it's kinda like the "fight" about Brunswick Stew's (GA/VA) origins) and the recipe was orginally from the back of an evaporated milk can as a way of using it. It has to be true 'cause I read it on the Internet. :raz:

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting this thread in the hopes someone out there has recently made a Tres Leches that they are particularly fond of.

I love tres leches, a while back I started a research for a good recipe and easy to make. I did it for my son's 1st BDay. I like mine with whip cream instead of the meringue. The recipe I use the most its really easy, uses self raise flour, wich I had and didn't know what to do with it. Found on the internet of course. But I think I am going to try the one posted here. Thank you for resuming this post!

Vanessa

I love tres leches, a while back I started a research for a good recipe and easy to make. I did it for my son's 1st BDay. I like mine with whip cream instead of the meringue. The recipe I use the most its really easy, uses self raise flour, wich I had and didn't know what to do with it. Found on the internet of course. But I think I am going to try the one posted here. Thank you for resuming this post!

Could you link to the one you use?

Resurrecting this thread in the hopes someone out there has recently made a Tres Leches that they are particularly fond of.

I just made Nick Malgieri's version (recipe HERE ) last weekend for an event featuring a tex-mex band. All the mexican guys in the band were asking me how a gringa learned to make such a good tres leches so I guess it was a hit! I thought it was really delicious too, but I did not strictly follow the recipe.

I made the cake in an 8" x 12" x 2" metal cake pan instead of the glass, lined the bottom with parchment for easy release, but did not grease the pan. Before I poured the milks over it to soak, I removed the cake from the pan and peeled off the parchment, then put the cake back in the pan. I also doubled the whipped cream for the topping. Oh, I also left out the lime zest in the milks and topping. And I made Kahlua raspberries to go with it.

Was that all too much information? :blush:

Hereis one I made a while back.  Its a recipe from the Houston Chronicle.  The link is dead now though, so I'm not sure how you'd go about finding it.  It was really good.

If it is the recipe from her blog - I found it there. Just search tres leche and the right area shows up.

I just made Nick Malgieri's version (recipe HERE ) last weekend for an event featuring a tex-mex band. All the mexican guys in the band were asking me how a gringa learned to make such a good tres leches so I guess it was a hit! I thought it was really delicious too, but I did not strictly follow the recipe.

I made the cake in an 8" x 12" x 2" metal cake pan instead of the glass, lined the bottom with parchment for easy release, but did not grease the pan. Before I poured the milks over it to soak, I removed the cake from the pan and peeled off the parchment, then put the cake back in the pan. I also doubled the whipped cream for the topping. Oh, I also left out the lime zest in the milks and topping. And I made Kahlua raspberries to go with it.

Was that all too much information? :blush:

Kahlua raspberries? What are Kahlua raspberries? Do you just marinate the raspberries in Kahlua?

Sounds wonderful.

Kahlua raspberries?  What are Kahlua raspberries?  Do you just marinate the raspberries in Kahlua?

Sounds wonderful.

I found the Kahlua raspberries in an old issue of Chocolatier ('98 maybe? ). Here it is- doubled:

Heat to boiling 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup Kahlua. Combine 1 T cornstarch and 1/4 c water and whisk into the Kahlua mixture. Keep whisking and boil for 1 minute or until thickened. Cool to room temp, then stir into 12 oz fresh raspberries and 1/2 c. sugar.

I made this a few hours before serving, and they are good for several days. The last of the leftover berries were just finished last night and were still delicious!

Could you link to the one you use?

I can post it when I get home for sure.

Vanessa

• 1 year later...

just a quick question about tres leches--i've eaten it all the time growing up, and now i finally ventured into making it

this is the recipe i use for the cake

5 eggs separated

3/4 cup sugar + 1/4 cup

1/3 cup milk (i think its around there)

1-1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

beat the yolks and sugar until light/fluffy, add the baking powder + milk + vanilla then whip the whites with 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tsp tartar i think it was until stiff and fold the whites into the yolk mixture

im at a loss for what kind of cake this is--a sponge doesn't use any chemical leavening other than the egg whites right?

in any case, i was just wondering after i bake it (i think 30 mins @ 350) it shrinks quite a bit from the pan...is this a cooling issue? or is that just the natural way the cake does its thing

Danny

So i read Nick Malgieri's recipe and wanted to do it tonight for mothers day. but my question is, what does he mean by inverting the cake? Does he literally want me to flip the pan over on to the cups and let it sit like that? Wont the center of the cake fall onto the table? Im confused, the rest looks simple.

So i read Nick Malgieri's recipe and wanted to do it tonight for mothers day. but my question is, what does he mean by inverting the cake? Does he literally want me to flip the pan over on to the cups and let it sit like that? Wont the center of the cake fall onto the table? Im confused, the rest looks simple.

So was my question so stupid that it didnt deserve a response? I guess i will just try to make it the normal way and see how it goes

so for those of you who care, not that there seems to be anyone, i figured it out. he doesnt grease the pan which allows you to flip the cake without disaster, then you have to pry the cake away before you pour the milk on. Well its done and i made whipped cream and caramel sauce. Its all in the fridge waiting for tomorrow

• 1 year later...

The piloncillo/panela topic got me thinking about my choice for this year's signature holiday dessert (last year was panettone bread pudding)....I'm leaning towards tres leches cake, always a crowd pleaser and not overly involved if I end up making three or four. I'm going to make ice cream to go along with it, and until the panela topic got my brain rattling I was going to do the Milkbar cereal milk ice cream recipe. Using the raw sugar for an ice cream base will be more in-line with the tres leches...but it's a pretty rich combo.

In short, I'm trying to think of a simple component to add to the cake and ice cream that will cut through the richness a bit and maybe play off of the spicier depth of the panela. Something with a little crunch, or herbal, or spicy, salty....a syrup or a crumble or a nut, etc. etc. Any ideas appreciated, I'm not wanting to over-complicate things but there has to be a good flavor/texture bridge between my 2 holiday dessert choices.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011