• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutrition needs in space

Do nutrition requirements differ in space compared to on earth?

I'm curious about calorie needs, given weightlessness, and if there are any peculiarities with respect to protein, fats, vitamins and minerals. Is extra calcium needed for long-duration missions?

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Vickie,

I picture your job as a much, much more complicated version of what I had to go through planning for backpacking trips!

Is nutritional information (calories, fat, sodium, etc.) for food items consumed by the astronauts publicly available? And is there a place on the NASA web site devoted to information about space food and diet?

Mark

Menus for flights are posted to the web prior to/during each mission. We do not post specific nutritional analysis of the menus. Since many of the foods we use are commercially available, the info for those products is out there. The website for space food is http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/living/spacefood/index.html. You can link back from this website to Shuttle and ISS and find the crew menus. The menus for Expedition 8 are currently posted.