• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Università di Scienze Gastronomiche

Revallo

I have been reading about the University of Gastronomic Sciences for the past couple of months. It seems to be in incredible idea. The only information I have gone over is thier website University of Gastronomic Science. It seems very expensive at 19,000E annually (The base degree is 3 Years). What do you think?

"Only the tougne tells the truth..."-F.A.

revallo@gmail.com

Hello, I noticed this posting and wanted to reply. I have just finished the Italian Master's culinary program at the ICIF, International Culinary Intstitue for Foreigners and will be completing my externship at a restaurant that is in the compound of the University of Gastronomic Science. The compound is still in restoration, I believe it was a monastary in it's previous life. Pollenza, the town it is in, is a small town outside of Bra, the birthplace of the Slowfood movement. I requested an externship with a Slowfoods affiliated restaurant and was very pleasantly surprised when I found it would be located here.

The University appears to be incredibly comprehensive in concept as you can tell from their website. First classes are to begin in Sept 2004 but the hotel in the compound is to open in February. There is another hotel in the town that appears to be very nice, if you wanted to visit to check it out.

I am scheduled to return to Italy and Pollenza in March. I'd be happy to keep you updated on what I find out about the school while working their. I agree, the tuition is high, and the three year program is a committment. I'm not sure if it's necessary for a successful career in the culinary or wine worlds but if you are an academic, I think it is a wonderful opportunity if you can afford it.

• 3 months later...

The university of gastronomic science recently provided a "motivational exam". It was on March 19. It was a four hour test online, the first five questions were multiple choice, while the remaining fifty-five were all essay questions. The test had to be taken within the 48 hours provided. Thre result were to be posted on the 15th of April but the informed me that the process is going to take a couple of weeks longer as the essays are graded around a table by the new profesors. (the test took me the entire 4 hour time limit and a bottle of wine). The questions that were asked had to do with you family life, what favorite foods to eat, cook, smell, order in a restaurant. etc, your profestional experiance.

The Grand opening of the University is on April 30. Here is the news letter they just sent me. (check out the borolo tasting with bruno on the 2nd) I can't wait!

April Newsletter

We invite you all to have a look at the program for the inauguration of the Agenzia di Pollenzo, and to join us if possible! We are looking forward to the ten-day event with great anticipation. The festivities will include concerts, wine tastings and dinners and lectures by authors, winemakers, musicians and gastronomes. We hope to see you there.

April 30th marks the commencement of the ten day inauguration of the Agenzia di Pollenzo complex; the hotel, the restaurant Guido, the cellars of the Banca del Vino and one of the two campuses of the University of Gastronomic Sciences. It will be a day of commemoration for Slow Food, the ideological creator of the four projects, and all those who have supported the projects with hard work, financial resources, and faith.

Finally, after years of semi-abandonment and improper use, the Agenzia will be reborn. The grey walls and torn roofs have been fully restored to their original splendor, recalling the newly built structure´s original splendor of the1840´s. Until now, the construction site and scaffolding has concealed all that the Agenzia contains, but from April 30th to May 9th, the public will be invited to visit the courtyard, park, porticoes, cellars, the hotel and the classrooms of the University. The neo-gothic architecture immersed in green, the functioning hotel, restaurant and tasting rooms are all cause to celebrate this "rebirth". As the event at hand is a "rebirth," the realization of a dream, what better time than spring to celebrate with old and new friends. There will be several opportunities to participate in a variety of inaugural events, from tasting of food and wines which will be included as themes of study at the University and lectures on gastronomically related subjects to concerts and a traditional market under the portico.

The opening of the Agenzia is also the re-initiation of a cycle. One could say that the first years of the Agenzia were dedicated completely to agriculture, our goal today is to return dignity to gastronomy: a true science to be practiced with art, to learn with humility, and to master with passion.

Below is the program for the ten-day inauguration: you are welcome to come when you like!

Carlo Petrini

INAUGURATION PROGRAM FOR THE AGENZIA DI POLLENZO

Friday April 30th

4 pm

Inauguration Ceremony of the Agenzia di Pollenzo

Piazza Vittorio Emanuele - Pollenzo - Bra

9 pm

Dinner Date: La Noce di Volpiano at Pollenzo: The Mongelli family presents the famous seafood dishes of La Noce.

Ristorante Guido

Reservations required 75 Euro

Saturday May 1st

2:30 - 6:30 pm

Music and Song

The Agenzia celebrates with local musicians: l´Allegra Brigata Antignanese, I Calagiubella, Fiati Pesanti, Teatro delle Forme, Mishkalè, Raviole al Vin, I Lavoratori della Notte, Falafeal Project.

6:30 pm

A talk with Roberto Vecchioni

Conference room of the Agenzia

Free Admission

9:30 pm

In Concert: i Trelilu.

This irresistible band from Cuneo presents a mixed show of music and irreverent gags in Piemontese dialect.

Free Admission

Sunday May 2nd

10 am - 6 pm

At the Market in Pollenzo

The first Sunday market of Pollenzo will be held in the courtyard and under the portico of the Agenzia. Local farmers and artisan food producers will be selling their wares.

4 pm

Tasting. Barolo and Barbaresco by Bruno Giacosa

Tasting room of the Banca del Vino

Reservation required 20 Euro

5:00 pm

Conference. "Agronomy and Gastronomy, the future of Food"

An invitation to a reflect with soil microbiology expert agronomist Claude Bourguignon on the connections between good agricultural practice and the quality of production.

Free Admission

Conference. "The taste of Beauty" with Vittorio Sgarbi

Free Admission

Monday May 3rd

4 pm

Conference. "Nouvelle cuisine thirty years ago"

Two of the protagonists of what was a true revolution. Paul Bocuse and Gualtiero Marchesirecall that great decision along with two renowned wine-makers, Angelo Gaia and Alexander de Lur-Saluces.

Free Admission

6 pm

Tasting. Château d´Yquem presented by Comte Alexander de Lur-Saluces

9 pm

Conference. "Paolo Francesco Staglieno, enologist of Carlo Alberto at l´Agenzia di Pollenzo"

With journalist Giusi Mainardi and enologist Pier Stefano Berta

Free Admission

Tuesday May 4th

5 pm

Conference: "We are what we eat" with Enzo Bianchi Abbot of the Comunità di Bose

Free Admission

6 pm

Tasting. The great wines of maison Chapoutier

9 pm

Dinner Date: The Osteria Devetak proposes the traditional recipes of the hills of Friulli served with Barolo.

Ristorante Albergo dell´Agenzia

Reservation required 50 Euro

9 pm

Inauguration of the Politeama Theater of Bra with the Theater Regio orchestra of Turin

This event is by invitation only in care of the City of Bra and the Foundation Cassa di Risparmio di Bra

Wednesday May 5th

6 pm

Tasting. "The great Barbareschi from 1998 to 2001"

Osterie Fuori Porta - Cinzano -Santa Vittoria

6 pm

Book presentation "Pollenzo a Roman city for a Royal romantic village" and the acts of the congress "Romans and barbarians: encounters with civilization."

Free Admission in the care of the City of Bra

9 pm

Dinner Date. Osteria Belbo of Bardon: From Monferrato, the great Piemontese traditions served with Barbaresco

Reservation required 45 Euro

Concert of three voices: Paola Lombardo, Donata Pinti & Bettu Zambruno with Armando Illario on harmonica

Traditional songs, from Piedmont and all of Italy, with multi-voice arrangements

Free Admission

Thursday May 6th

5 pm

Round Table: "Wine in the Roman era: history and documentation"

Speakers: Jean-Pierre Brun -Director of the Jean Berard Center of Napoli - Pier Giovanni Guzzo - Supervisor of Archeological heritage of Pompei - Claudia Cerchiai -Archelological Coordinator of the Ministry of Cultural Activity and Heritage - Anna Maria Ciarallo - Biologist, Lab Director- for research related to the supervision of Archeological heritage of Pompei, Modera: Marina Sapelli Ragni - Supervisor for Archeological heritage of Piedmont

Free Admission

9 pm

Meeting. "Meandering in musica d´autore, wine and gastronomy"

With Giorgio Conte, Francesco Guccini, Michele Serra and Gianmaria Testa

Free Admission

Friday May 7th

6 pm

Tasting. Siepi del Castello di Fonterupoli, a magnificent wine from Chianti

Conference room Banca del Vino

9 pm

Conference. "Kosher kitchen of Moshele e Yenchele". With Moni Ovadia

Free Admission

Saturday May 8th

11:30 am

Book Presentation "American Vineyards. The story of wine in the United States" of Maurice Bensoussan and a meeting with the author.

Followed by: a Dinner Date. Dishes from the Osteria del´Arco of Alba and the Boccondivino of Bra, served with renowned American wines

Reservation required 35 euro including a free copy of the book

5:30 pm

Tasting: The magnificent Barolos of the ‘90´s

Osterie Fuori Porta - Cinzano-Santa Vittoria

9 pm

Meeting with Banda Osiris and Alberto Barbera, Director of the National Cinema Museum of Turin

Free Admission

Sunday May 9th

1 pm

Dinner Date: The cooking of Lidia Alciati.

Ristorante Guido

Reservation required 75 Euro

5 pm

Meeting. "The New University: What is European wisdom?" with Umberto Eco and Jack Lang

Politeama Theater of Bra

Free Admission

9 pm

Presentation of South American Presidia, from Terra Madre in October and the project "Learning and Producing with Teofilo Otoni in Brazil" by Don Giovanni Lisa Presentazione dei Presìdi Slow Food in Sud America, dell´appuntamento "Terra Madre" ad ottobre e del progetto "Imparare e produrre insieme a Teofilo Otoni in Brasile" di Don Giovanni Lisa

Free Admission

revallo@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

I am so suprised not to see any aditional posts... was I the only one atteding? I mean I met Paul Bocuse and Angelo Gaia and tasted 10 different Barolos and Barberscos by Bruno Giacosa.... There will be an indepth report when I get back to the states...

revallo@gmail.com

Revallo,

I am looking forward to a more detailed posting. It sounds like it would have been a great time.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

Open House at the Agenzia di Pollenzo

Over 40,000 visitors celebrate at the inauguration of Slow Food´s latest project, the University of Gastronomic Sciences, Wine Bank, Ristorante Guido and Albergo dell´Agenzia

The inauguration of the Agenzia di Pollenzo concluded on Sunday May 9th after ten days of concerts, tastings, dinners and lectures. Throughout the inauguration period, 40,000 visitors toured the University of Gastronomic Sciences and the Wine bank while the Albergo dell´Agenzia and Ristorante Guido played host to a plethora of events - from debates with legendary chefs Paul Bocuse and Gualtiero Marchesi reflecting on the idea of nouvelle cuisine to tastings of great wines such as the Sauternes of Château d´Yquem and the Barolo of Piedmont.

Today the recently renovated structure is home to four projects, all linked by the Slow Food ideology and the desire to create a gastronomic center in the heart of Italy´s rich Langhe region. The University of Gastronomic Sciences, the Wine Bank, the Ristorante Guido, and the Albergo dell´Agenzia each have a different role in realizing this goal.

The University provides a place dedicated to the scholarly study of gastronomy, bringing a prestige to the field and offering the first university level degree in Gastronomic Sciences. The first 60 students will begin classes this Autumn, including enology, food history and sensory evaluation. After five years of study, they will embark on careers in food journalism, research, culinary anthropology and artisan food production management.

While the University is designed to education a new generation of culinary professionals, the Wine Bank will document the history of Italian wine and wine making practices and bring an even greater appreciate to Italian wines. The Wine Bank is located in the historic "cantina" of the Agenzia, where in the 1840´s Francesco Staglieno, the royal enologist, first created the now famous Barolo wine from the Nebbiolo grape. The cellars are currently filled with over 60,000 bottles of wines from more than 200 producers located in the various regions of Italy. The Wine Bank offers Italy´s best producers the opportunity to store 180 bottles of their wine, and after a three- year aging period, the wines are sold to members of the Wine Bank. In the coming year the project will realize the final stages of development, including a website, tastings, and seminars as well as public tours.

Located just a few steps from the Wine Bank is the Ristorante Guido which was born through the union of two renown Piemontese restaurants (Guido di Costigliole and La Noce di Volpiano ) and allows guests to experience Piedmont´s rich culinary heritage. Guido hosted several dinners during the inauguration, featuring the specialties of the two restaurants.

To make a trip to this culinary hothouse relaxing and comfortable, the Albergo dell´Agenzia is located within the Pollenzo complex: a 47 room, four-star hotel. Managed by the one of the historic founders of Slow Food, it will allow tourists to enjoy the pleasures of Piedmont.

revallo@gmail.com

• 1 year later...

I am seriously considering the one-year Master's in Food Culture that begins in November 2005. I am wondering if there are any participating members who have or ARE studying at the school for one of the degree programs. (Leggo italiano, dunque....) I would love to know more specific information about the program than the university's Web site provides, course of study, faculty, internships beyond its walls... Thanks!

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Pontorno...since you asked.....

I will try to explain my reaction to the University as best and as fairly as I can; bearing in mind that the school is brand new and the curriculum will undoubtably grow and change as time goes by.

As part of the Ital.cook/Slow Food program, our class was invited to tour the University this spring. The Ital.cook program is geared to chefs and the University has entirely different goals.

Now, here is where I get a bit fuzzy on the concept of the University. They are quite adamant and proud that there isn't a kitchen or pot or pan or bain marie in the entire facility. Alice Waters, who is on the board, was not permitted to plant a garden. The University is dedicated to the theories of gastronomy. My understanding, from speaking to a current student who was taking a course on the fundamentals of tasting was that after 2 or 3 months, they had worked up to their first tasting. What did they taste? Ketchup and Coca-Cola. Honestly, I'm not at all sure what to make of that.

It truly depends on what you want to take away from the course. If your entire focus is on food journalism, this might be the place for you. Beyond that, I'm not at all clear what you would take away from this exceedingly esotertic take on gastronomy. My overall impression of the student body was that they are all quite young and this is not an especially demanding school. Read into that what you will, I'm trying to be diplomatic. But, all of us from the Ital.cook program were exceedingly bewildered by the decision not to have any hands on experience with food. Why? To theorize about a garden is one thing....but to feel the dirt...brings an entirely different understanding. Secondo me.

Hopefully, someone who has actually participated in the school will come forward with more solid information than the impressions I came away with in one day.

Best of luck!

Warm regards.

Thanks for the notes Hathor... from what I have read, it seemed tob e very expensive and theory based, not what most people are looking for, but getting tons of money dumped into it.

I always suggest the program you and Ore did as I think food is what it is all about.

As this level of culinary program is new here.. I think they went overboard!

OR perhaps hope that people will send them tons of money and THEN figure out they don;t cook!

Divina: I was wondering if you had an opinion since you've written about Slow Food events on your personal Web site and have a lot of friends and colleagues in the food world in Italy. I am am glad to see your name here!

Hathor and I have been in communication outside of this forum, and as I explained to her, I find the IDEA of the Master's program very appealing. When I went to college, I would have loved to have had the option of studying the history, politics, economics, sociology & culture of food in addition to nutrition, chemistry and technique. Not everyone passionate about food or interested in food-related issues should train to be a chef, even though s/he ought to have fundamental skills and experience cooking.

The analogy is not exact, but English professors earn Ph.D's by reading literature, theory, and secondary sources in relevant academic disciplines before they teach courses on Chaucer's World or Gender & the Victorian novel and write studies of their own. Should aspiring poets or novelists choose to get advanced degrees in academia, they earn M.F.A.'s in programs where they learn by refining their work under the tutelage of established authors and with the help and criticism of their peers, and in the best of circumstances, make connections with editors and literary agents who accept their manuscripts.

It is still very difficult to gauge what the goals and curriculum of the Universita are. There is a long list of impressive, international affiliated faculty, but it is hard to identify who is core, residential faculty. The school's internationalism seems to be restricted to the field seminars that take students to various regions in France, Spain, etc once they learn more about regional specialties in Italy. Wine, cheese, meats...and maybe pasta seem to be emphasized. Produce? Farming? Hard to tell.

How pragmatic and practical the advanced programs are is hard to figure out because this upcoming year will be its first. There is no clear sense that someone with a new Master's from that program will have the expertise, experience and connections to move immediately into a food-related profession where the principles of the Slow Food movement will inform his or her career. It would be terrific if the program suited such an aim.

And if you're still reading, Divina, look under Resources in the C& Z forum. I posted a topic about the Master's in Food Culture program at the Universita di Scienze Gastronomiche there. Almost 100 people have read the topic; one person posted a reply. Just how successful has the school been in reaching potential students and their employers?

While working near Parma, I met a staff member of the school. He mentioned that he worked in the office in Parma but I tried to get more info out of him regarding the school and he didn't have much (or anything) to say. I would let time pass before making the jump...I am sure it is evelving in the right direction...not sure if you want to be one of the rubber dolls that get played with and bounced around the walls before the machine works well...

Ore: I have been enjoying your contributions to this region of egullet, thanks for writing! I hope you're enjoying your new job and the opportunities to use your knowledge of Italian regional cooking.

I took the Motivation Test of twenty-four questions, many I found rather inappropriate and bizarre. I was just informed that I passed and am invited to finish the application process in which letters of recommendation are optional. None of my requests for more specific information about the syllabus, the goals of the program, internships, pre-professional training or participating faculty has received a genuine answer. So........

Ore:  I have been enjoying your contributions to this region of egullet, thanks for writing!  I hope you're enjoying your new job and the opportunities to use your knowledge of Italian regional cooking.

I took the Motivation Test of twenty-four questions, many I found rather inappropriate and bizarre.  I was just informed that I passed and am invited to finish the application process in which letters of recommendation are optional.  None of my requests for more specific information about the syllabus, the goals of the program, internships, pre-professional training or participating faculty has received a genuine answer.  So........

...what will you do? The lack of specific answers belies a lack of specific knowledge. This is still such a new program. Based upon what I have read here, it would seem that it is obviously not for the aspiring chef, but more for a person interested in the academic or literary side of gastronomy. My experience with Slow Food is that they do things well. For what this is it probably is being done well, although it remains very early in its evolutionary process. Good luck!

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Do? See if my most recent query, forwarded to next year's director, receives a reply. (Deadline of September 23 approaches.) However, consult my original posting (earlier this summer) on the topic that Revallo [sp?] initiated. Practical and financial concerns abound. I can contact Slow Food members here in the United States, too, especially since at least one, I know, was involved in planning stages for the USIG.

Meanwhile, I need to talk to more people here in U.S. about credentials and means they've taken to move into the professional/advocacy roles that interest me. I have always loved marketing, cooking and eating in Italy. That experience may still prove useful and with ingenuity and luck, I suppose, it is something that will remain a perk in my professional life.

If you do wind up there, I for one would love to hear all about it. Good luck whichever way it turns out!

Twitter - @docsconz

You know, when I was responding to your first message here, email arrived from the school which supplied two attachments detailing the nature of the curriculum and names of participating faculty.

As a new program, the Masters in Food Culture unfortunately does not offer its students choices in classes. As I suspected, the location of the Universita, i.e., near Parma influences much. Not scuzzy, certainly. Who amongst Italiophilic egullets doesn't think Parmigiano-Reggiano is one of the supreme arguments against the virtues of an ascetic life? Also, corporate sponsorship has an influence. Again, not a bad thing for students wishing to work for De Cecco or as a wine importer.

What I would like to see in terms of produce, organic farming, etc. does seem to be lacking...though there are classes that might certainly address those matters. And for the skeptical cooks and chefs who are right to take issue with the utter lack of actual cooking on the academic menu, it looks as if the program also had second thoughts there. What I received was tentative...but Cooking Technique is on the academic menu and (here, probably one of the less certain factors) Alice Waters is listed as possible instructor. There are a number of food writers and journalists listed too and a section on food photography. In sum, I am finding more promise.

[Quibble: In the interest of championing GOOD food writing, I WISH USIG would change the name of the degree: Masters in Food Culture: Communicating Quality Products! The use of the noun "quality" as an adjective is up there with "impact" instead of "affect" as a verb, and the phrase "to grow the economy!"]

Once I learn whether or not the info may be shared, I'd be happy to post what the school sent me should it be of interest to anyone else who is reading this topic. Even if I do not choose to continue in the application process, I'd be more than happy to help the school develop a more prominent profile.

P.S. Off-topic, I know, but would you be willing to address your adventures in "chocolating" during your family's recent trip to Paris? I just discovered the postings this morning.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I just received a request from another member who wanted to hear more from me about the program. S/he is welcome to post any questions or comments here....or if discretion is desired by someone who does not wish to express thoughts on a public forum, I would be happy to accept a personal message.

In sum, I chose not to submit a formal application to the program despite all the time I invested in the preliminary test and exchanges with the school. Were I much younger and wealthy....or wealthier, I would have continued with the application process. I have already mentioned that the university's association with Slow Food is appealing and the participating faculty for the upcoming year is quite impressive. To someone who wishes to become an informed marketing specialist in Northern Italian imported foods (prosciutto, Parmigiano Reggiano) or wines, to travel to Spain, France and England in addition to various regions throughout Italy having a grand time learning from food experts at those places, I'd say, by all means proceed. There might be some great contacts to make...that was one reason I thought of risking the investment in such a new institution.

Ultimately, I was not reassured sufficiently by the adminstration of the program that the Master's Program served my professionial needs, that the internship (still undefined) would provide the knowledge, experience and professional value to serve my own goals. And as I have said, the turn-around between the application process and beginning of the program was terribly inconvenient...less so for a young college graduate who can pack up belongings and put them in her/his family's basement. For those who have never studied or used Italian and never lived in Italy, the program has greater value than for others.

The application deadline was September 23. Since the program is so new and today's email from an egullet administrator was the first news I have received that someone else is looking into the program, the university may be willing to overlook that date. (I emailed the host of a culinary Web site who has a Master's from the school, but that person never responded to my inquiry.) My advice is to email the place itself, see if there are firmer plans for the curriculum and schedule when I posted here the last time....and remember, the faculty and administration of any academic institution are very different entitites. See how you react to the exchanges you have the USIG and keep in mind that it will largely be the faculty, site visits and fellow students who will determine what kind of experience you will have.

I think that I would not be the only one here who would like to hear more from you in this open forum.

Auguri (good wishes!), Pontormo