• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO advice on Burgundies

fredbram

I have been trying to upgrade the wines that I drink at home on a regular basis. Lately, I have been buying some wines from a group called Wine Spectrum--because my knowledge is limited and I seem to not have a large capacity for fitting new wine knowledge into the memory part of my brain. So... the guy that I work with there emails me every once and a while with info about a wine or wines that he thinks I would like, and that fit in my price range ($20-30 a bottle), and I buy 3 or 6 or so bottles and I've liked most of his rec's.

Right now he has a couple of 2002 red burgundies that he recommends, they would not be in until the late spring.

These are them:

2002 Burgundy, Michele Magnien, Corvee de l"Eglise Passetoutgrains $19btl

2002 Burgundy, Michele Magnien, Borgougne Rouge, Village Wine $35btl

2002 Burgundy, Jean Raphet, Chambole Musigny "Les Bussieres" Cuvee Unique $50btl

I guess my questions are several. Is this a good way to buy wine in general, both in terms of getting good advice on wines (because I need it) and in terms of price (I pay shipping on top as well)? There are some local wine stores, both boutique and large mart types, but I often wonder whether I am getting good selection in these, and I tend to wander around and get confused, so I guess I like having someone say I have tasted this, its great, buy some. I also am never quite sure how to locate a specific wine--for instance, I might read tasting notes on a wine here in egullet, but not have much luck locating it in Denver.

Is 2002 a good year in Burgundy (my guy says it is going to be very good)? Any one familiar with these wines?

Edited by fredbram (log)

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

I think 2002 has a good rep going in, but those prices seem steep to me. Michel Magnien and Raphet are , I think, ell-regarded but not real top-rank producers; but that is the most I've EVER seen a bottle of Passetoutgrains go for. And $35 is extremely expensive for a basic Bourgogne (and since when is BR a village?). Lastly $50 for a 1er Cru Chambolle might be reasonable, but is Bussieres a 1er? Anyone know? "CuveeUnique"makes me wonder if its a non-1er monopole.

Denver is a big city, and I'm sure there are some good wine stores. I'd solicit opinions, and give a couple a try. Developing a relationship with a quality local retailer is the best way to start learning in my opinion.

PS I've had a couple of Magniens and Raphets at tastings, but never bought any. I'm certainly no Burgundy expert. So maybe I'm wrong and they are cult producers. But still think those prices are high (Michel Lafarge, one of my favorite producers, has a very good basic bourgogne wine for $17-18, and his passetoutgrains is $12).

Edited by DaleW (log)

I agree with Dale -- those prices look high and the producers are well-regarded but not of the very first rank. I suspect 2002 burgundy across the board will be quite a sticker shock, so I expect that those prices will not look out of line in six months or so. That said, I expect you will be better off looking for older vintages. IMO, these wines are a clear pass.

A word about North Berkeley and their unique cuvees. Their unique cuvees are often heavily extracted and heavily oaked. If you like that sort of thing go ahead, but many Burgundy fans believe it removes the soul of Burgundy.

--- Lee

Seattle

I am sure that these are North Berkeley wines. I think that Michel is the negociant label and Frederic is the grower label. The prices on the Bourgogne rouge and passetoutgrains are a couple of dollars more expensive than they are here in Nashville. I agree with the comment about heavily extracted but not all are overoaked.

Is this a good way to buy wine in general, both in terms of getting good advice on wines (because I need it) and in terms of price (I pay shipping on top as well)?

It's certainly a tough way to go about starting to collect Burgundy. Completely sane people have been known to go off the deep end trying to understand, let alone find several good go-to, Burgundy wines. The best advice with wine in general, but particularly with Burgundy, is to taste it first. Then decide to purchase. Burgundy ain't cheap.

I agree that the prices you are seeing are on the high side, but probably not out of line for what we can expect with the hyped up 2002 vintage. Many wines will be hard to find, period -- even at inflated prices. If you can find a good deal, though, it's certainly a good vintage to start with.

Burgundy has historically been about terroir. You will have trouble finding that with North Berkeley wines.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero