• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salsa versus Chutney

jhlurie

Well, Suvir, I did say "usually" in at least one place, if you re-read my post again.  I didn't present the statement as etched in stone...

And I bow to your extensive knowledge.

I'm not worthy...

:shock:

SA

SA,

You are worthy of an invitation to my home for dinner.. when you and I are each free. I have found humility when I read your posts across the site. You bring to the site and discussions great insight and depth that make eGullet that wonderful place it is.

My intent was not to question your worth or your knowledge or statement. I was adding my two pennies worth. I am sorry it came across poorly.

I feel worthless in having hurt your feeling. Maybe you can find some way of forgiving me for what I said... and in doing so, take me up on my offer of cooking for you.. or even PM'ng me your address and I shall send you a bottle of some chutney.

And my knowledge is just as extensive as yours or anyone else I know. Nothing special, nothing different from what I have found in others that I know. You are kind to be so flattering. Not needed and certainly not true. :sad:

I am sorry for having hurt your feeling and doubted your worth. It really was never meant to be what I wanted to convey. :shock:

Suvir

I think they are really the same and although not all of them can be used interchangeably, some are able to and can even be slightly adapted to fit the flavor pairing you are looking for. I have used chutneys to compliment a fish grilled with "mexican" flavors and I even make a Korean tomato "salsa" with sesame oil and chilies that great with grilled or roated asparagus.

In today's world of fusion  cooking it is becoming harder and harder to make distinctions.

Both salsa and  chutneys use fruits and vegetables, both fresh and dried herbs/seeds, they are both cooked and fresh, they are both sauces used as condiments.

The only difference I can think of is their country of origin.

Wow! You said it perfectly and so easily.

Thanks for elevating this thread from its momentary low after my not so kind post above. :smile:

heh

Suvir, you overreacted.

I'm known for being facetious online and offline.....usually.

:smile:

SA

But I did mean what I wrote...and it is better in life to react as one feels...

I am sorry for my poor words... they were not meant to be as such.

You are kind to be so generous.

And thanks for the great chutney recipes... :smile: