• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Crisp

alacarte

I caved and ordered some Coffee Crisp online from Vermont Country Store. I also ordered Chocolate Digestive cookies from the UK and Stroopwaffels from the Netherlands. I will be having an international sugar fest in about a week!

I didn't see any ketchup chips. Good thing, I probably would have ordered those too.

I'm still waiting for my order to arrive.

Every day, I check the mailbox for a package slip....waiting is driving me crazy! :huh:

Would you like me to bring you some on Thursday :biggrin:

When I first moved from Thunder Bay to TO in the early 90s I was devasted to find that Old Dutch weren't available....but you learn to make do, right? I thought I'd moved on and was content with the Hostess, etc.

My hubby is from Saskatchewan, where Old Dutch rules. He gets his mom to send care packages of Old Dutch BBQ to us. For a while the major grocery stores in and around TO carried Old Dutch, until they became more popular than Lays and Hostess, and the big guys put the squeeze on the supermarkets. Then you could find them for a while in corner stores. Now they've just disappeared from sight for the most part :sad:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

. Balderson's eight -year-old cheddar.

Balderson's aged cheddars are really some of the best :smile::wub:

Marlene

Smarties

:wub:

I used to lay in the Smarties to give out as little thank you/affiramtive message gifties for the very young American kids who worked for me.

"Duuuuude! Way better than M&Ms! Cooler colors, too."

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The package has arrived!!! :biggrin:

(Thanks much for the offer, Marlene. Very kind of you to offer to put me out of my misery.)

I tried my first Coffee Crisp yesterday. It reminded me a bit of a the "Whatchamacallit" candy bars they have here (perhaps in Canada too?). Oddly enough, I found it not coffee-flavored enough for my taste.

I'm going to wrap up a bunch and present it to my brother-in-law, who is originally from Toronto but has been living in NY for the past few years.

The package has arrived!!! :biggrin:

(Thanks much for the offer, Marlene. Very kind of you to offer to put me out of my misery.)

I tried my first Coffee Crisp yesterday. It reminded me a bit of a the "Whatchamacallit" candy bars they have here (perhaps in Canada too?). Oddly enough, I found it not coffee-flavored enough for my taste.

I'm going to wrap up a bunch and present it to my brother-in-law, who is originally from Toronto but has been living in NY for the past few years.

You need the triple mocha version. :biggrin:

One chocolate bar that I like very much but haven't seen in Canada for many years is Bar 6(I think that's the name). Is it still around?

-Steve

Bar 6 like in kit-kat? We still do. On the other hand I saw a white kit-kat the other day. :hmmm:

Edited by BettyK (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Growing up in Boston, Crunchies were a rare treat for us, usually brought by relatives visiting from Ireland. I sent them home regularly for a while after moving to Montreal, until my family politely informed me that they were able to get them at any of the local Irish stores.

I grew up all over Canada - 10 years in Calgary, 14 in New Brunswick (Saint John and Fredericton), I've been here in Regina for 2 years - and in September I'm moving to PEI...and I'm basically trying to figure out how I can make room for a case of Old Dutch Rip-L chips in a VW Golf that will contain me, two complete sets of golf clubs, clothes, cookbooks, other books and CD's.

The upshot, however: REAL KEITH'S, not Oland Export with a Keith's label :biggrin:

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

If you're passing through Ontario, would you mind dropping off a case of Old Dutch BBQ? :biggrin:

Marlene

If my path takes me near the GTA, I'd be more than happy to...but I'm probably gonna try to skip the southern penninsula all together. I won't have much time to get going out there so I kinda need to make the drive in four days...which means the Sault - North Bay - Ottawa route, I think.

That said - I've got a layover at Pearson on March 24 on my way out to Halifax, and I'm only planning on bringing one bag...you want me to chuck a case on the plane for you? :smile:

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

If my path takes me near the GTA, I'd be more than happy to...but I'm probably gonna try to skip the southern penninsula all together. I won't have much time to get going out there so I kinda need to make the drive in four days...which means the Sault - North Bay - Ottawa route, I think.

That said - I've got a layover at Pearson on March 24 on my way out to Halifax, and I'm only planning on bringing one bag...you want me to chuck a case on the plane for you? :smile:

Yeah that would be great! :biggrin: Or you could just mail me a case :biggrin:

Marlene

Have you tried the Caramel Aero, the Chunky Caramel KitKat or the Dark KitKat?

They're all fairly new variations and good. Oh and the Smartie bars. Kids love them.

I've tried the Smartie Bars but wasn't too impressed. Yeah I know kids love them. We sold a box

of these in a week. I want to try the Caramel KitKat next.

This is a wonderful thread! I didn't see it until tonight, but I can attest that all of these things run in the blood!

I am a former Canadian who currently lives in Texas, and this weekend I brought my oldest son to Sault Ste. Marie, MI, to visit his selected college (Lake Superior State University). As soon as we finished the campus tour, we hopped across the bridge to "Soo," Ontario, and I just thought I would pass along what we had to do:

First, lunch at Harvey's. Both of us ordered poutine to accompany our double burgers with mustard.

Then, a stop at the A&P to load up on Coffee Crisps, Aero Bars and Smarties. A quick stop next door for a pack of duMauriers. Even though I gave up smoking years ago, I had to smoke some. (I am happy, in a perverse way, to report that the duMauriers made me sick to my stomach.)

Penultimate stop before heading back to the bridge: the LCBO. There was a dearth of decent beers, though, so we chanced upon the Northern Breweries store up the street, and were able to pick up a 12-pack of their Red Maple premium lager. It's quite good.

I also got to serve as an object lesson for my son. Coming back across the bridge, the U.S. customs agent asked whether we had bought anything. I said, "Just some candy." "Pop the trunk, please," he said. "And some beer!" I yelled, remembering that I had put the 12-pack in the trunk. A minute later, he returned and said, "You know, you didn't tell me about the beer. I can take it away from you and put your name on The List." My redfaced fear no doubt convinced him to let us go without being sanctioned, but my son said, "I won't ever try that, Dad! God, you can be an idiot!!"

The candy was worth the risk.

:unsure:

• 2 months later...
I've been a Coffee Crisp lover all of my life. I notice that that they now make them in several flavors as well as the original. They also make Coffee Crisp ice cream.  .... . Glossettes, Aero bars(now in numerous flavors), O'Henry bars(also several flavors) and MacIntosh Toffee......... 

:sad: I've just been reading the Ottawa and Kingston thread and I want to go back to Canada!! I did my Grade 13 in Kingston before going on to Carleton. I miss everything Ottawa/Kingston especially the winter and the chocolates. I even love the greasy fries from the trucks - I especially remember Lou Patatos. :biggrin: I used to buy the huge bars of Coffee Crisps and Aero at 7-11 for only 99cents then.

And the ice-cream at Laura Secords. Almost everyday after school I'd buy a double scoop of Baskin Robbins at the outlet opposite Canada Trust @ downtown Kingston (my classmate's mom worked there). And there's another place one block west that sells freshly made onion rings - they were the best! And this reminds me of Hickory Sticks. Bwah waaaaaa!!!!! And I always thought Jiffy Grill besides Sears @Kingston Mall serves the best Fish & Chips. Heck! I even miss chowing down donuts at Princess Donut at 2, 3am and wasting quarters playing the Galaga (video game) after doing some grocery shopping at the A&P.

Can you tell I really miss living there? :raz:

Ok, back to Coffeee Crisps .... oh yes! And Harvey's - I used to go to the one near Loblaw's@ Baseline&Woodroffe (in Ottawa) and talk about poutine!!!! I love that stuff. :laugh: