• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Basil

Liza x

Doesn't pesto refer to a specific recipe that always consists of basil, garlic, pine nuts, cheese and olive oil? Wouldn't any other herb puree have to be called something else, like "tarragon puree"?

Well, first: "puree" is only appropriate usage when the food in question is cooked. Second: "pesto" (I believe) is Italian for "paste" (correct me if I'm wrong; I know you will).

if my extremely shaky italian serves me (and it may not), pesto comes from the verb "to pound", and pasta comes from the word for paste, as in a flour and water mixture. i think you can refer to an herb (other than basil) concoction as a pesto, but if you don't specify what herb is in there, to most of us, the "default" is basil.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I think the basils were Y250 each (big bags of the stuff.

I might try making basil oil if I can part with some of my leaves.

Not bad at all! I've paid about the same at local stores sometimes.

I would definitely recommend against drying, there goes all that fresh basil flavor. And I think that freezing would definitely diminish the flavor over time. If it were me, and knowing how precious a find it is, I would make basil pesto that is heavy on the oil, and dribble that on dishes at the end for maximum flavor.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 2 months later...

When I was in Thailand I took a cooking course and learned they are using a special variety of basil called lemon basil. It was so great I tried to get it here but no success. All I could get was a dried version that was totally useless. I use Cafir lime leaves instead but it in not quite the same thing

Avi Ben Shitrit

<a href='http://www.diaperbagchic.com' target='_blank'>Diaper Bags</a>

When I was in Thailand I took a cooking course and learned they are using a special variety of basil called lemon basil. It was so great I tried to get it here but no success.

You don't say where you're from, but basil is very easy to grow outdoors in summer, even in pots. Don't limit yourself to the reddish Thai basil or lemon basil, try the holy basil too. Maybe next spring you can order seeds. A nursery might be able to special-order plants for you--again, depending on where you live.

Basil is also excellent mixed with butter on grilled fresh corn on the cob. <p>The following idea came from Sunset Magazine:<p>Put 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan with 1 clove of garlic, minced and 2 tablespoons of minced fresh basil. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts and the garlic has lost its raw taste -- a couple of minutes is enough. <p>Place 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese in a bowl.<p>Offer grilled corn with butter mixture and cheese.

Basil is sensitive to heat as the flavor compounds are volatile. In your recipe I would add the basil at the last moment rather than cooking off the volatile coupounds tastys.

Tom Gengo