• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Romantic Dining

Stone

I always thought Cellar In The Sky was very romantic, but alas....

Terrace in the Sky, right? Did it go out of business?

Cellar In The Sky was part of Windows on the World.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Isn't Terrace in the Sky in Flushing Meadows Park, on top of one of those faux-rocket ships (if you saw Men in Black, you'll know what I mean)? I thought that's basically a catering hall.

Ooops, no; Terrace in the Sky is indeed up near Columbia University. Zagat says it is "a great place for kissing" -- one's dining partner, presumably.

I'd definitely agree with One If By Land, Two if By Sea. The degustation menu I had there in December '02 was just excellent and the accompanying wines showed great insight. The service was not to snooty and, in fact, the sommelier & waiter were quite happy to engage us in any discussion about the food & wine, however ignorant our comments were (oh, and they were). The building that the restaurant is in is supposedly one of, if not the, longest standing building that has been used as a restaurant - dates from the 1750's or so I believe. It's very warm and homely also. Tell them it's a special occasion and I'm sure they can seat you in a discreet table, although in general the tables are nicely spaced apart.

Have fun!

Sorry about my confusion re: Cellar in the Sky.

And for everyone's reference, courtesy of www.superpages.com:

Terrace In the Sky

400 W 119th St, New York, NY 10027

(212) 666-9490

(212) 666-3471 (fax)

I remember it being beautiful, rather expensive, and reasonably good, but that's a really old memory (probably 16-17 years ago!!!!)

Michael aka "Pan"

I have always found Le Bernardin to be very romantic...

That's an unexpected comment, only because almost everyone seems to find the decor at le Bernardin to be corporate and I assume most people don't find that romantic. I happen to like the way le Bernardin looks and always have. It's always seemed warm and comfortably luxurious in an understated manner. Table spacing, as I recall, is pretty good and that might be added value in terms of romance. Nothing like hearing the conversation at other tables, or worse yet, fearing they hear you to ruin the mood. I generally don't share others people's notion of romantic dining however. I like a well lit room with good food. When I'm eating I like the food to star and I like to be able to see my table companion as well as the food. Fortunately my wife shares my taste in restaurants, which is ultimately the major factor in a romantic dinner.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

If I remember correctly, the tables are so large at Le Bern that you can hardly see your companion, let alone speak to her. Maybe I'm just tiny.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

If I remember correctly, the tables are so large at Le Bern that you can hardly see your companion, let alone speak to her. Maybe I'm just tiny.

The lighting is good, and unless one equates romantic with a clandestine liason, that shouldn't be a problem. I have seen people treat a restaurant dining room as if it were a hotel room, but for someone who has a more private place to go after dinner, I find the temporary abstinance from unbridled passion actually works in a positive manner. Those with exhibitionist tendancies and those who like to explore love on the edge, might want enough cover to make it both possible and challenging, however.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 8 months later...
That's pretty broad, ladycaterina.  Help us narrow it down a bit:

Are there any geographic limitations?

What do you hope to spend, with alcohol, per person?

anywhere in Manhattan is fair game...we'd like to pay no more than $30 per person. (we are still students. :)) and we probably won't be drinking alcohol, so that shouldn't be a consideration. thanks!

I might suggest Monsoon, on 81st and Amsterdam for Vietnamese. The food is excellent, and it's pretty nice looking, although "romantic" would be an unlikely term to use.

Don't know if you like Turkish food, but Pasha, on 70th is pretty romantic and inexpensive.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I can think of two small, charming and romantic French bistros that would fit your budget if you are willing to dine at an early hour. Both have delicious food.

Chez Michallet, in the Village, is the smaller of the two (teensy, actually), and offers a 3-course prix-fixe for $22.95 between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m.

Gascogne, in Chelsea, offers what they call a "pre-theater dinner," 3 courses for $27 between 5:30 and 7:30 p.m. (If your $30 budget is supposed to include tax and tip, this would go a little over.) You don't say when you will be celebrating, but if it's soon and the weather happens to be warm, you can dine in Gascogne's lovely, romantic back garden. But as I said above, the interior is charming and romantic as well.

Happy Anniversary!

I would suggest a restaurant called Vatan, an Indian vegetarian place on 3rd Ave. I know, it's not exactly your typical, romantic French bistro, but I think you could have quite an intimate dinner here. First, the place is quiet and very calm. The tables are all little booths, so you have some separation from the rest of the restaurant. You can even sit at tables closer to floor level, so on cushions on the floor. The food is very fairly priced (meaning you can eat well and amply for $30 each) and it's served in 3 courses if I recall, with each course comprised of little tastes of a few different dishes. Very fresh chutneys and bread. A real different, and fun, way to spend a quiet night together.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I would suggest a restaurant called Vatan, an Indian vegetarian place on 3rd Ave. I know, it's not exactly your typical, romantic French bistro, but I think you could have quite an intimate dinner here. First, the place is quiet and very calm. The tables are all little booths, so you have some separation from the rest of the restaurant. You can even sit at tables closer to floor level, so on cushions on the floor. The food is very fairly priced (meaning you can eat well and amply for $30 each) and it's served in 3 courses if I recall, with each course comprised of little tastes of a few different dishes. Very fresh chutneys and bread. A real different, and fun, way to spend a quiet night together.

Vatan's decor, something like a village setting, is quite charming. The booths do make for privacy and, as I recall, they all require sitting on the floor on cushions. (You are asked to remove your shoes.) They do have a few regular tables for those, like my husband and me, who prefer not to sit on the floor. One caveat about the food. There is a set menu, so absolutely no choice. Appetizers come spiced as the chef prefers, and I would categorize them as very spicy. With main course items, however, the server does ask for the diner's spiciness preference.

One of by Land, in the village. It works for me.

This is a joke, right?

For the OP's benefit: One if by Land, Two if by Sea is not only out of the price range (around $70 for its prix fixe), but is mediocre food-wise and has the tackiest "romantic" decor this side of a tiki hut (think plastic flowers) and is pretty much patronized by tourists getting engaged.

When I was a "starving" student at the CIA, I used to love going to La Petit Auberge, on Lexington in the 20s somewhere. I don't even know if it's still there, but it had solid bistro food in a cozy atmosphere at student-friendly prices.

**I just checked Zagat online - it IS still there! On Lexington between 27th and 28th.

Edited by gmi3804 (log)

• 10 months later...

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any favorite romantic restaurants to add to the list. (or if certain recommendations, like Cafe des Artistes or River Cafe still stand.) Friends of mine are getting married and honeymooning in NYC--she asked me for recommendations, and I told her some of my favorites, but I'd love to add to the "most romantic places" list...

One place I definitely won't send them, based on a lot of posts, is One If By Land!

The lighting is good, and unless one equates romantic with a clandestine liason, that shouldn't be a problem. I have seen people treat a restaurant dining room as if it were a hotel room, but for someone who has a more private place to go after dinner, I find the temporary abstinance from unbridled passion actually works in a positive manner. Those with exhibitionist tendancies and those who like to explore love on the edge, might want enough cover to make it both possible and challenging, however.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: lol

I find this thread absolutely hilarious!

Edited by mascarpone (log)

Eff,

I dined at River Cafe not long ago...beautiful flowers, gorgeous views of the Manhattan skyline, ultra gracious service, and good food. The food is not the caliber of a 5* dining place, but it was quite good. Highly recommend for a wedding party. Check out therivercafe.com.

I would put in a nod for Bouley, particularly the Red Room (although I like the White Room as well).

Babbo can also be very romantic as it has that cosy, townhouse of feel.

Among smaller places, I would recommend La Ripaille in the West Village, which is where I proposed to my wife.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 3 months later...

I was just interested in getting an update on this topic, as it seems as though it has gathered a few cobwebs. After reviewing this as well as other related threads (New York City Marriage Proposals, etc.), it seems as though the following list has emerge as a canon:

March

River Cafe

Atelier

Gramercy Tavern

Chanterelle

Are these restaurants still the most intimate dining establishments (best non-corporate decor, low noise level, excellent wine selection/pairings, exceptional service, and excellent food)? Have any slipped?

Why would these retaurants prevail over Alain Ducasse, Jean-Georges, Daniel in romance factor.

How does Terrace in the Sky stack up against March, River

Cafe, Atelier, Gramercy Tavern, Chanterelle?

Edited by mascarpone (log)

I was just interested in getting an update on this topic, as it seems as though it has gathered a few cobwebs. After reviewing this as well as other related threads (New York City Marriage Proposals, etc.), it seems as though the following list has emerge as a canon:

March

River Cafe

Atelier

Gramercy Tavern

Chanterelle

Are these restaurants still the most intimate dining establishments (best non-corporate decor, low noise level, excellent wine selection/pairings, exceptional service, and excellent food)? Have any slipped?

Why would these retaurants prevail over Alain Ducasse, Jean-Georges, Daniel in romance factor.

How does Terrace in the Sky stack up against March, River

Cafe, Atelier, Gramercy Tavern, Chanterelle?

Bump. :biggrin:

Anyone have an opinion on this? Anniversary coming up!

-Mike & Andrea