• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Romantic Dining

Stone

HI Tommy:

I think 11 Madison has very good food, but found the noice level way too much.

Grace

it's a big room. it can get loud. however, the room off to the back, with low ceilings, can be quiet, especially conserdering they seem to seat people there last. for a quiet dinner in NYC, your options are limited. most rooms are lively.

One if by land, Two if by sea; has an upstairs that is very quiet and romantic. It is on Barrow Street in G. Village. Piano Bar, great food, superb service, definently a anniversary spot. 2 bills would be close, depending on your wine

Annisa is a good idea. Dinner with wine will be well under two hundred, food is great, and its atmosphere is ideal for an anniversary (i.e. quiet, attractive interior, and lots of room between tables).

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

And depending on your idea of romance, :wub: Yasuda's :wub: corner at the bar in Sushi Yasuda is a wonderful spot.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

• 6 months later...

British guy new to NY is looking for reccommendations for an amazing romantic restaurant to take his wife to on Valentines. We're real foodies with a love of almost every genre of cuisine. A special emphasis on desserts would be a help in wooing my lady. All reccommendations welcomed.

Many thanks

Not sure if this still holds, but March used to be really nice, but that was many years ago when I actually got taken out on dates. Having said that I am hearing rave reviews on the atomosphere in Asiate.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

LIMPERO IN TUDOR CITY IS IN AN OUT OF THE WAY LOCATION. IT IS A BEAUTIFUL ROOM, AND THE DESSERTS ARE REALLY SUPER.

I agree with L'Impero. I went there last night for the first time, and it is very romantic. Dinner also was excellent. I had the prix-fixe ($52 for four courses, very reasonable) and dined well: A marinated yellowtail appetizer, followed by a mushroom fettucine pasta, followed by a branzino served atop carrots and a couscous-type grain; followed by dessert (chocolate soup)! I'm looking forward to going back to try their spring/summer menus.

The one catch to a "romantic" experience -- the tables for four or more are cozy, but the tables for two are right smack in the center of the room, where you are surrounded by waiters bustling by. (By the way, the service was among the best I've had in a restaurant in some time). When you make the reservation, ask for a more secluded table if you can.

....if you want to make your date swoon, follow up by walking over to Top of the Tower (1st ave and 40th st.?) for drinks. One of the most beautiful views in the city, piano music, the works. I guarantee that toes will curl.

LIMPERO IN TUDOR CITY IS IN AN OUT OF THE WAY LOCATION.  IT IS A BEAUTIFUL ROOM, AND THE DESSERTS ARE REALLY SUPER.

I agree with L'Impero. I went there last night for the first time, and it is very romantic. Dinner also was excellent. I had the prix-fixe ($52 for four courses, very reasonable) and dined well: A marinated yellowtail appetizer, followed by a mushroom fettucine pasta, followed by a branzino served atop carrots and a couscous-type grain; followed by dessert (chocolate soup)!

Whoa! Chocolate soup!!!!

I second coughy's recommendation of the River Cafe. I've only been there once so far (best Restaurant Week lunch I've ever had, but I'll warn you that it was a couple or three years ago). The view is positively breathtaking. I remember liking the dessert I had there, and I had a scallop dish that was probably the best scallops I've ever had, but the place is at least as much for the view as the meal. The fact that I can say honestly that the meal was comparable to the view is really an extraordinary word of praise for the establishment.

Valentine's Day is a troublesome night to eat out, and I think that it would be as important to look for recommendations of impeccable service as anything else. I don't like to eat out on that night because it's a night when the service can be overwhelmed and really suck. And there's nothing that can put a damper on a special night out like being forgotten about for a half hour at a time.

Michael aka "Pan"

And there's nothing that can put a damper on a special night out like being forgotten about for a half hour at a time.

Of course if a romantic couple is is being romantic, they may not notice :wub::wub:

Ironically, my first time at one of my favorite local restaurants could have been a disaster. It was my birthday and my wife and I went to this restaurant that we had heard a lot of good things about. We were seated in a nice booth and were quickly served the house white bean spread and some bread. It was delicious. The waiter (who is now chef/owner) came and took our order. We sat there and ate the dip for a while and then we sat there just relaxing and conversing. Things were slow, but we were relaxed and in a good mood...and we sat there some more. Finally the waiter came by and glanced at our table and realized that there was nothing on it. He suddenly became extremely mortified as he realized that he had forgotten to place our order. He was extremely apologetic. We were unfazed. Needless to say our order was expedited and the food was wonderful. He was so apologetic that the meal was comped even though I said that wasn't necessary. We made reservations for our next visit that very night.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I have always found Le Bernardin to be very romantic...very French, lots of flowers, great service. Also, Cafe Des Artistes was always great, but I havent been in years. Depending on where you sit there, tables can be a bit close together. As for an earlier suggestion, I went to March once on Valentine's Day and was VERY disappointed. Everything was good, but just good. And for $300/couple I expect something more than good. I chalked it up to V-Day, but I honestly never went back. There are too many other great places for me to take 2 shots at a medium level place.

Jeff

Valentine's Day is a troublesome night to eat out, and I think that it would be as important to look for recommendations of impeccable service as anything else. I don't like to eat out on that night because it's a night when the service can be overwhelmed and really suck. And there's nothing that can put a damper on a special night out like being forgotten about for a half hour at a time.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this statement. It goes for Mother's Day and Father's Day as well. I positively avoid going out on those nights/days simply because everywhere is overbooked, overwhelmed and understaffed it seems. This year, going out Friday the 13th or Sunday the 15th might even be slightly better options. It appears that everyone that never goes out at all, simply HAS to go out on Valentine's Day proper (probably to save their relationships that are suffering under the ponderous weight of never taking their sweeties out any other day if the year :blink:) and it just turns into a circus. It's kind of like New Years Eve being "Amateur Night " for the drinkers. :wink:

That said, I'd second the votes for Danube (the Klimt walls! All gold and cinnabar red! Gorgeous!), Aureole or Cafe des Artistes for romantic spots. Any of these would make the proper impression, and hopefully garner the results you're after :biggrin: .

Yikes! Chocolate Soup?!? Be still, my lustful chocoholics beating heart... :laugh:

IMHO, any dessert that can be *shared* with your loved one is romantic, any time of the year. :wub: 

Alacarte is so dreamy... :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Erminia remains one of the most romantic spots in the city, as far as I'm concerned.

La Grenouille is also lovely.

One if by land, etc is a nice setting, but don't eat there. Go somehwhere else first, then head to OIBL to get an afterdinner drink by the fireplace as the piano player plays.

While I love L'Impero, I don't find it romantic. Too crowded and bustling.

Asiate is not remotely worth the cost. If you are so inclined to go there, however, I would highly encourage you to reserve a booth, as they are virtually private and are lovely. The food just pales in comparison to the setting.

Knowledge is good.

I always thought Cellar In The Sky was very romantic, but alas....

For me the most romantic place I've ever eaten in NYC was Cafe Des Artistes, althought the food was only good, not great by any means, but, given the company at the time, I couldn't have cared less.

I also second River Cafe. Damn, what a stunning place.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I think Bouley is very romantic. (My wife would agree.) :biggrin:

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Terrace in the Sky, right? Did it go out of business?

Is Terrace in the Sky the same as The Terrace (all the way uptown, Central Park North)?

I hope it's not out of business...that's where my husband proposed, right on the rooftop terrace! (Can't beat THAT for romance!) I nearly tossed the engagement ring right off the terrace, I was just that excited.

Terrace in the Sky, right? Did it go out of business?

Cellar in the Sky was a restaurant on top of the WTC.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer