• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes on the web

Nick

Haven't checked out recipeGullet yet--and I will now--but of you've got a Mac, take a look at Watson. It's got a great search interface for Epicurious and its own recipe archive (I haven't tried the latter).

Here's a screenshot of the Epicurious functionality.

Adam

All of the above, plus www.allrecipes.com. Just curious, though: anybody remember that old recipe database that was based in Berkeley? The name is escaping me now, but when the web first came to us common folk, it was a tremendous resource. It seemed to collapse along the way, but I always wondered what the story was behind it. It had a lot of recipes from traveling academics, so it was a great source for obscure yak-milk dishes and thousands of ways to make dal.

What was that thing called? Now it's going to drive me nuts . . .

kpurvis,

I believe you're referring to SOAR: The Searchable Online Archive of Recipes which has been renamed to RecipeSource! at www.recipesource.com (as ludja posted above)

:smile:

Yes, SOAR, that was it. Thanks. I'm glad to know it's still around.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

All of the above, plus www.allrecipes.com. Just curious, though: anybody remember that old recipe database that was based in Berkeley? The name is escaping me now, but when the web first came to us common folk, it was a tremendous resource. It seemed to collapse along the way, but I always wondered what the story was behind it. It had a lot of recipes from traveling academics, so it was a great source for obscure yak-milk dishes and thousands of ways to make dal.

What was that thing called? Now it's going to drive me nuts . . .

kpurvis,

I believe you're referring to SOAR: The Searchable Online Archive of Recipes which has been renamed to RecipeSource! at www.recipesource.com (as ludja posted above)

:smile:

Yes, SOAR, that was it. Thanks. I'm glad to know it's still around.

Yep, one of the first great sources for non IT related stuff on the web (Along with IMDB). I love the extraterrestrial and Weird section!

I'd second the BBC food section, good thing is, do a search on an ingredient of recipe name, and you tend to get a decent cross section of authenticity and complexity, from a reader submitted home cooked convenience version, to something done by a dodgy TV chef, to the odd high end version.

The Sainsbury's website can be ok, particularly if you know you are going to be popping in anyway (They quite often specify their own stock - obviously, or do things by their pack sizes).

And failing that, of course, Google (How long until keyboards come with a 'Google' button do we think?)

I love animals.

They are delicious.