• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes on the web

Nick

We've been having a lot of threads and posts on cookbooks and I got to wondering where people go on the net to find what they're looking for when the "right" recipe isn't in one of the cookbooks you have.

If it's not too much trouble, post a link(s) to your favortite site(s).

If I knew how to post a link, I would, but the site I go to regularly is "epicurious.com"

most people who post here are not from around my part of the world, so I don't know if this site is common there as well.

Ahem. You could try RecipeGullet, our own compilation of member-generated recipes. If that fails I usually go to Epicurious.com. Between the two I can usually find what I'm looking for. I have to say, I've had great success with stuff from RecipeGullet.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

If I knew how to post a link, I would, but the site I go to regularly is "epicurious.com"

most people who post here are not from around my part of the world, so I don't know if this site is common there as well.

To post a link, click on the button just above this writing box with the http:// on it. It will bring up a script blanc for the URL. Once you have hit "okay" another box will come up so you can give it a name.

Easy, peasy, Japanesey (to quote the character, Brooks, from Shawshank Redemption).

Edited to add that I use Epicurious as a start as well... After that, I start to surf, depending on the recipe.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Epicurious is a pretty common site - it is the joint site for Gourmet, Bon Appetit and other Conde Nast publications.

I use Epicurious and Food TV. Food TV especially if I have been watching one of the few shows I like (Molto Mario, Good Eats, Boy Meets Grill (I know, I know)) and want to make something they have shown.

In a similar vein I also recently went to Rick Bayless' website - fronterakitchens.com - and downloaded several recipes from there. (again - I know, I know - but I have started TIVOing his show on PBS).

I have also started using Recipe Gullet more and more.

And some restaurants have some nice recipies on their sites as well.

Bill Russell

I often just use google. It's amazing what it will turn up.

I agree. This is where I always start and quite often I find what I'm looking for this way, especially for the less common dishes. Another good source for starters is chef2chef. Also, the magazine sites - Epicurious (Gourmet/Bon Apetit), Food & Wine, and Saveur. Leite's Culinaria and egullet are good resources.

I do all of the above. I also still have my membership in Cooks Illustrated but I don't find I am using it much.

I particularly like google because I often end up with several different versions of a dish that I can compare. I am not above "cherry picking" the best parts of multiple recipes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Here's a few more sites: (besides egullet of course! :biggrin: )

recipe source

and

recipehound

and Lynne Rosetta Kasper's site (she has great cookbooks also and a great weekly radio show on Minnesota Public radio that one can access via the internet)

splendid table

and saveur magazine has a bunch of stuff online...

saveur

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

All of the above, plus www.allrecipes.com. Just curious, though: Does anybody remember that old recipe database that was based in Berkeley? The name is escaping me now, but when the web first came to us common folk, it was a tremendous resource. It seemed to collapse along the way, but I always wondered what the story was behind it. It had a lot of recipes from traveling academics, so it was a great source for obscure yak-milk dishes and thousands of ways to make dal.

What was that thing called? Now it's going to drive me nuts . . .

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

All of the above, plus www.allrecipes.com. Just curious, though: anybody remember that old recipe database that was based in Berkeley? The name is escaping me now, but when the web first came to us common folk, it was a tremendous resource. It seemed to collapse along the way, but I always wondered what the story was behind it. It had a lot of recipes from traveling academics, so it was a great source for obscure yak-milk dishes and thousands of ways to make dal.

What was that thing called? Now it's going to drive me nuts . . .

kpurvis,

I believe you're referring to SOAR: The Searchable Online Archive of Recipes which has been renamed to RecipeSource! at www.recipesource.com (as ludja posted above)

:smile:

Edited by mudbug (log)

We've been having a lot of threads and posts on cookbooks and I got to wondering where people go on the net to find what they're looking for when the "right" recipe isn't in one of the cookbooks you have.

If it's not too much trouble, post a link(s) to your favortite site(s).

Google.com: Web

Hands down the best method to finding specific recipes when advanced search options are used.

Google.com: Groups

To see if it's been discussed before.

Epicurious.com: Gail's Recipe Swap

If I can't find it thru Google quickly, I'll go here and post an ISO: (In Search Of), then I'll go back to Google with different search parameters. There is a consistent group of people there who love to cook who have developed a community and have lots of tried and true experience even if they don't make their living as a chef. They are eager to help others find recipes, and some of them have very serious cookbook, periodical, and database collections.

AllRecipes.com at allrecipes.com

It has grown significantly in a short amount of time and the reviews of the recipes rival those of Epicurious.com. (Better interface too.)

There are a handful of others I might use if their interfaces were user friendly but Google is truly the best place to search, again, stressing the advanced search options used in combination.

:cool:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

This is an option that raises copyright issues, but you can access many recipes by using Amazon's book search function and clicking on the links to the excerpts. For example, I did a search for "spanakopita" and came up with eight full recipes in the first six pages of results, from cookbooks such as The Greek Vegetarian, 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes, The American Century Cookbook (which is out of print), The Junior League Celebration Cookbook, and others.

You can't print out the pages (unless you have some kind of screen capture program) but there's nothing to stop you from typing them into a text document or just leaving the recipe up on your monitor.

If the practice isn't abused it seems no different from taking the books out of your local library.

This is an option that raises copyright issues, but you can access many recipes by using Amazon's book search function and clicking on the links to the excerpts.

I can't see any copyright issues here, unless you took the recipes, claimed them as your own, and profited from them, or otherwise damaged the copyright holder.

Just making a recipe that the copyright holder himself or herself made available online doesn't qualify. Fair use: no harm, no foul.

Although there is definite satire potential in the image of a cookbook author suing someone for copyright infringment for <gasp!> actually making one of his or her recipes! :biggrin:

I can't see any copyright issues here, unless you took the recipes, claimed them as your own, and profited from them, or otherwise damaged the copyright holder.

It wasn't copyright infringement I was thinking about but the right of authors to profit from their work. When Amazon started making the contents of books accessible there was a real concern that people would help themselves to discrete passages -- like recipes -- without buying the books (I think there was a previous thread on this). They later restricted the amount of text you can view from a single search and disabled the print feature, which really would have made cookbooks (or at least recipes) just about free. But, as I said, if the searches are not abused it's not much different from borrowing the book from your library.

You can't print out the pages (unless you have some kind of screen capture program) but there's nothing to stop you from typing them into a text document or just leaving the recipe up on your monitor.

Make it easy on yourself. Just "Copy" + "Paste" to new Word document.

Apart from epicurious

For Karmic cooking - i.e. not necessarily finding what your looking for, but always what you need - I love browsing through La Belle Cuisine. It's a real mish-mash, but I always find something wonderful.

For endless but seriously classic Italian recipes, Le Ricette (in English).

For cookable (Baked potato stuffed with pigs trotter and foie gras) and completely uncookable masterpieces, based on the Discover channel series (and again, great for ideas) The Great Chefs Recipe Index.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

The bbc food webpage

This is definitely my favourite. The BBC makes me feel safe!

Delia Smith

Delia is great for the basics. Hers was my first cookbook and the one I turn to still for simple classics.

Edit: Sorry, I just read back and saw that both of these have already been mentioned..... but I second the recommendations!

Edited by Naomi (log)