• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Baking With Julia" by Julia Child (2004)

SethG

Well, my Pebble Bread was a complete failure. I don't think we ever saw a report from Kirsten on hers-- how did they come out, Kirsten, if you're out there?

The Pebble Bread calls for a 24 hour sponge on the counter. It's supposed to get sour, but mine got way sour. I think my kitchen got pretty hot yesterday, what with the focaccia I baked plus a loaf of whole wheat bread. So I dunno, maybe my sponge got so acidic that it undermined the bread later, but for whatever reason it didn't really rise enough, and when I shaped it and cooked it anyway, it just kind of stuck to the pan and got saturated with oil. My first attempt was a complete throwaway. My second made it to the oven for a broiling, and then when I took it out I was actually able to dislodge it from the skillet in one piece, although it wasn't easy.

Then I tasted it, and it was soggy, oily, too sour. A mess. Maybe I'll try again some day.

(Here's the sick part: I ate it anyway! I kept tasting it, thinking about what went wrong, and then I noticed it was all gone. Yuck. I feel ill.)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

(Here's the sick part: I ate it anyway! I kept tasting it, thinking about what went wrong, and then I noticed it was all gone. Yuck. I feel ill.)

Been there, done that!!

Sorry your bread didn't turn out, Seth ----but thanks for the laugh!! :)

Hmmm, I was gonna give that bread a try because it sounded interesting. Kirsten & Seth, do you have any tips for me?

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Maybe Kirsten will, but I don't think I can help, as my pebble bread was such a failure.

Hearing no suggestions for this weekend, I just sort of let it go. But we should plan something for next weekend, right? I'll suggest something if I hear nothing from y'all in a day or two.

I've started a big list of recipes I want to try. I anyone interested in the cranberry walnut pumpkin bread? or alsatian onion tart?

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Just sneeking in and saying 'hi' to you all from the Netherlands.

I'm Heleen, 33 years old as of tomorrow, and a big baking fanatic. I love to try out niew recipes and do my share of cake decorating as well. I'm not a professional baker, but did follow pastry courses for 2 years, which contained a little bit of everything: fancy cakes, breads, chocolate, pulled sugar. I'm a native Dutch girl, so please bear with my at times ill-spelled English language ;o).

I just found your forum, have enjoyed reading through the messages thoroughly and was thrilled to find many people baking their way through BWJ, as I just received my copy!

I started this past weekend with the brioche, and must say it wasn't all that I hoped for. It did everything it was supposed to, but tasted a little too 'egg-y' for my likes, and I found it a tad dry. Maybe just my tastebuds ;o).

So if you all don't mind, I'd like to join in on occasion on your way through the book.

Hi all-

Sorry, but I feel off the baking wagon for a while - husband's law school graduation, work, inlaws visiting, more work, away for the the weekend, more work. Ya'll get the idea, I'm sure.

I'm afraid I never finished my pebble bread. I got it started and then got so busy I never finished. Will have to start over some time. I'm out of town Friday through Sunday AM, but I am off next Monday of course and hope to squeeze in some baking - that is, when I am not lounging in the pool. :raz:

I've started a big list of recipes I want to try. I anyone interested in the cranberry walnut pumpkin bread? or alsatian onion tart?

arbuclo, the cranberry walnut pumpkin bread sounds great. I'll look at the recipe later today. Was away this past weekend, and I did miss my "baking fix" and look forward to firing up the oven this week.

heleen1, welcome! See any recipes in BWJ you'd like to try?

Thanks for the welcome!

I have seen many recipes I want to try in BWJ, but what I remember right now, sitting at work, is the tourte milanese and the nectarine upside down cake. But I'm in for most baking recipes :o)

Just sneeking in and saying 'hi' to you all from the Netherlands.

I'm Heleen, 33 years old as of tomorrow, and a big baking fanatic.

Welcome and happy birthday! I love this baking thread and hope you do too. :-) There are a zillion things in BWJ that I want to make. I really need to quit my job. ;-)

That cranberry walnut bread is good-- I made some a couple months ago. I'm going to be out of town this weekend, so it's unlikely I'll join you (though not totally out of the question). But it's a good choice!

AAaaaggh! I feel rather bad. I don't have time to bake the bread I suggested but I will do so next weekend when I have more time (and three days in a row not at work!). Hope others try it this weekend so I can see what mine should look like!

Also, just wanted to say that there's been so much talk here about RLB The Bread Bible, I just had to impulse buy it the other day. So, are you guys being a good influence (because I get to buy something I'm sure I'll love) or a bad influence (for making me spend money)?

AAaaaggh!  I feel rather bad.  I don't have time to bake the bread I suggested but I will do so next weekend when I have more time (and three days in a row not at work!).  Hope others try it this weekend so I can see what mine should look like!

Also, just wanted to say that there's been so much talk here about RLB The Bread Bible, I just had to impulse buy it the other day.  So, are you guys being a good influence (because I get to buy something I'm sure I'll love) or a bad influence (for making me spend money)?

arbulco, this is a good thing! A year from now you won't miss (or maybe even remember) the $$ you spent on the book, and you will have made piles of incredible breads. Where's the bad?

Edited by Dahomechef (log)

! A year from now you won't miss (or maybe even remember) the $$ you spent on the book, and you will have made piles of incredible breads. Where's the bad?

A pile of breads that if you went to buy in a bakery would cost many times the price of the books and any ingredients. Even though cooking books seem to be overpriced compared to other books, if you use a couple of recipes on a regular basis from a book, it will not only pay for itself compared to buying the same thing in a bakery or restaurant but you can know exactly what goes into the mix. To me cooking books that I use are excellent value.

BTW...this is a great thread and it probably started a whole bunch of people going through a favorite book making as many recipes as possible instead of just one or two. Right now, I'm working through Peter Reinhardt's American Pie, 400 degree oven, cast iron pizza pan and all. Its a lot of challenging fun and something I probably wouldn't have thought about doing before.

slowday

I baked this not too long ago... a Lemon Merengue Pie for my grandfather, who loves them.

The Flour

02sixoz.JPG

The Fats

03buttandlard.JPG

Fridge bound! Chill the fat and let the flour absorb some moisture.

04mold.JPG

Rolled

09rolled.JPG

A thing of beauty, if I do say so myself.

10prebake.JPG

I didn't have any pie weights... but I have a ton of 6-penny common nails!

11weights.JPG

Stiff peaks.

13stiff.JPG

"GBD," as Alton would say.

14gbdcrust.JPG

Squozen.

15squozen.JPG

Do professional cooks use mise en place when they're baking at home? I'm just trying to cultivate good habits, but my wife teases me mercilessly.

16miseenplace.JPG

Pre-Boil

17preboil.JPG

Post-Boil

18boil.JPG

I've always had a temper problem. I'm allergic to alcohol - I break out in a case of handcuffs. ;) Naah, not really. I'm just reading "A Cook's Tour" and I must be channeling Anthony Bourdain. (Great read, by the way)

19temper.JPG

Fill'er up.

20filled.JPG

Top'er off.

21topped.JPG

Baked.

22gbd.JPG

Before the Missus kicks my ass. F@#$'in good habits are hard to form.

23cleaned.JPG

Fin. (gratuitous shot of new fridge)

24fin.JPG

I feel all improved already!

Edited by Enzian (log)

Enzian, thanks for the pictures. You and Yorkshire are tempting me to break out the camera again. Seeing the step-by-step picture is extremely motivating.

Did you all ever see "Cooking With Monkey"?

If not, here it is.

http://www.himonkey.net/cooking/

But back to the topic at hand. I read in The Food Lover's Tiptionary that adding a pinch of baking powder to meringue helps keep it from leaking. Has anyone ever tried this? If it's such a great tip, then why don't more cookbooks say to add baking powder to meringue?

Also, have you all tried making your wonderful tart crusts with Plugra or European style butter? It makes a huge difference in texture and flavor. And with the price of butter being so high anyway, you might as well buy Plugra.

Hey Guys,

I've decided to tackle the Danish Braid this weekend, probably Sunday morning for breakfast. What is everyone else doing?

I've already got the apricot filling ready (yum!). I recommend you make this ahead of time if you ever try it, if definately gets better and thickens up.

Adele

Adele

This weekend I'm doing those rustic potato breads again as well as the pumpkin cranberry. Did anyone else do the pumpkin cranberry bread? If so, any tips or pics?

By the way, thanks Dahomechef & slowday for helping justify my spending!

Do professional cooks use mise en place when they're baking at home? I'm just trying to cultivate good habits,

Only when I'm making stir fry. Otherwise, I'm bebopping and scatting all over the kitchen grabbing things.

Edited by McDuff (log)

I made the pumpkin cranberry bread which was gorgeous and delicious!

i7981.jpg

I still haven't been able to shape the potato breads so that they look like the picture in the book. This weekend was my third try. However, I love the taste and texture of the bread I don't care. Mine just looks extra rustic! I had to use up some basil so when I rolled up the loaves I put torn basil leaves on it. Pretty green swirl happening in the middle. (sorry, didn't take a picture!)

Anyone else do baking?