• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Baking With Julia" by Julia Child (2004)

SethG

Did you mean to post a link ... ?  You mention 'check some pics of these tarts'.  I wasn't sure if you was referring to previous pics posted here.

No, don't know if there are any apple tart pics here, just thinking of the ones I've seen in cookbooks.

What did you get up to this weekend?

Baked biscotti Friday night, the 9 grain torpedo bread from The Bread Bible on Saturday, and since I couldn't make the mini rounds, my son and I baked up the popovers from BWJ on Sunday morning. Will post a pic of these tonight--they were yummy. Had to teach junior the proper way to eat a popover--hot from the oven, butter and honey (or whatever--we had a proper selection) dripping off, running down your fingers, gobbing big hunks of goodness and only breathing when necessary. Now, this is fun.

the 9 grain torpedo bread from The Bread Bible on Saturday,

I take it this is the Rose one? I have the other Bread Bible by Beth Hensperger. Regret it now (I think -- I'll give it's dues as the Buttermilk Honey Bread is fantastic). How do you find the Rose one? I think I want to get that one too.

Edited by yorkshirepud (log)
Adele

Yorkshire, yes it is the RLB Bread Bible. I believe there was some discussion of this book upthread. Although I have some issues (don't you hate that word?) with the author, every bread I've made from this book has come out marvelously well. This is no small thing. It is a big thing. And a good thing. Get the book, if you're interested in bread baking.

Yorkshire, yes it is the RLB Bread Bible. I believe there was some discussion of this book upthread. Although I have some issues (don't you hate that word?) with the author, every bread I've made from this book has come out marvelously well. This is no small thing. It is a big thing. And a good thing. Get the book, if you're interested in bread baking.

I have those same issues with my bread bible.

To be honest, I scanned both prior to buying, and the Rose one turned me off. Seemed very ... mmmm ... can't think of the word ... I think I will pick one up. I love to bake bread so the more books the better.

Btw, I did see McDuff's tart! Looks marvelous!

Adele

How do you find the Rose one? I think I want to get that one too.

Yorkshire...I just got the RLB Bread Bible --haven't made anything from it yet, no time! But I got a brand new one on Ebay for $15 (including postage)

Dahome!! You are absolutely correct about the proper Popover eating tehnique!! Popovers are one of my favorites and I made them for dinner Sunday night (although not the ones from BWJ) and served them with honey butter......an instant hit! I recently got the "mini" popover pan from the King Arthur catalog and just love it.........they're a little smaller, so it's OK to eat 3 or 4, right?? ;)

How do you find the Rose one?  I think I want to get that one too.

Yorkshire...I just got the RLB Bread Bible --haven't made anything from it yet, no time! But I got a brand new one on Ebay for $15 (including postage)

What a steal! I think I'll add this to my list of 'must gets'. My list is becoming huge! Do share any successes with me so I know where to start once I do get it.

Adele

Had to teach junior the proper way to eat a popover--hot from the oven, butter and honey (or whatever--we had a proper selection) dripping off, running down your fingers, gobbing big hunks of goodness and only breathing when necessary.

Oh, WOW, am I hungry for popovers! Is a popover pan really critical to making them? I should invest in one, but when it's just me and my husband, it's hard to justify making a whole batch because while I probably could gorge myself and eat half a batch, I probably shouldn't!

Amazon says my BWJ is on it way to my door today, so I'll be able to play now!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I recently got the "mini" popover pan from the King Arthur catalog and just love it.........they're a little smaller, so it's OK to eat 3 or 4, right?? ;)

Jankk--exactly! Haven't tried a mini-popover pan myself, but if it's popovers, what's bad? Here's how mine came out (from BWJ):

i6708.jpg

... and here's the carnage:

i6709.jpg

... mmmm

Edited by Dahomechef (log)

Is a popover pan really critical to making them? I should invest in one, but when it's just me and my husband, it's hard to justify making a whole batch because while I probably could gorge myself and eat half a batch, I probably shouldn't!

Amazon says my BWJ is on it way to my door today, so I'll be able to play now!

jgarner, you can make them in whatever you have--custard cups, a muffin or mini-muffin pan, whatever. The narrow cups in the popover pan just encourage the little devils to rise and puff.

Edited by Dahomechef (log)

York, I don't know about your pudding, but you should try these. It must be the easiest recipe in BWJ--5 ingredients tossed in the blender, poured into the pan, and tossed into the oven. This has a huge "bang-for-the-buck" ratio!

oooh, now I want to try popovers. I've never had them even though I grew up in the US! Wasn't something we made in MT.

I'll try to do the mini rounds today. I did the danishes which were yummmmmmmy! I'm gonna have to take a couple of weeks off from this thread b/c I'm travelling overseas (to Denmark, ironically, where I can taste real danishes!).

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

I finally finished the danishes! :smile: They taste great (I chose the almond and apricot fillings). The dough was nice and flakey. BUT, the majority of them came out butt ugly!! All the fold overs came apart. :angry: I'll be trying this recipe again. I will not accept defeat!

BUT, the majority of them came out butt ugly!! All the fold overs came apart. :angry: I'll be trying this recipe again. I will not accept defeat!

ROFL!!!!!! I have that same problem Brngckn - I've never been able to get the dought to stick together. Try the Danish Braid .....that one stays together very nicely :)

I finally finished the danishes! :smile: They taste great (I chose the almond and apricot fillings). The dough was nice and flakey. BUT, the majority of them came out butt ugly!! All the fold overs came apart. :angry: I'll be trying this recipe again. I will not accept defeat!

Kirsten, the ones you took a picture of were beautiful. :wub: Did you try all the shapes? I only did the one called the pocket. (I think that was the shape.) Decided on that shape because it looked like it might keep it's shape during baking and was more interesting to me than doing the triangle ones. I'll post a pic later when I have my USB cable!

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

arbuclo-

Not wanting to tarnish my baking reputation too severely, I, of course, took a picture of the only two that looked fairly decent. :wink:

I did attempt all the shapes. The pinwheels and turnovers came out best, but even most of those came apart. One of my problems, methinks, is using too much filling. Can there be too much filling? :laugh:

I apologize, everyone. As the originator of this thread, I feel a moral responsibility to bake every proposed dish, but I've now flaked out two weeks in a row. It's not that I haven't been baking, I have. I've actually been sort of insanely baking, several different loaves of bread a day, part of a sort of personal project I've undertaken to bake every bread under the sun before I return to work on June 1. But an unintended consequence has been my neglect of the thread which gave birth to my baking, the metaphorical apes who raised me in the baking jungle.

You have my pledge. I will catch up this weekend. Danish, genoise, even pebble bread (I stumbled across some barley flour the other day).

Meanwhile, no need for anyone else to wait for me. Anyone want to do anything in particular this weekend?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I've never had a popover. It must be a North American thing!? They look like yorkshirepuds though. Is it just a sweetened variation?

Btw, Dahomechef -- they look fabulous!

Not sweetened, also not cooked in beef dripping but more usually in muffin cups. Otherwise quite similar

:biggrin: Susan Fox-Davis, who cooks in English and American

Hi, all,

Well, the Glazed Mini Rounds are done. They taste wonderful. They ...umm.....could look a little better ;) I found the cakes cracked a lot when I cut it out. Maybe I just needed a sharper cutter, who knows? Wasn't really planning on doing a picture ....but then I decided what the hell....for better or for worse ;)

i6783.jpg

Happy baking!

Jan! Good work! What kind of wine did you use?

Well, the recipe said "fruity" ....I had some Tropical Fruit Zinfandel (I think it's Arbor Hill) so that's what I used ....tasted fine!

I'm finally able to post pics of my danishes. I used homemade berry jam with the almond filling and I did the pocket shape:

i6815.jpg

Sadly I'm a genoise failure! :sad: I obviously overworked the batter (plus I didn't have any cake flour which I'm sure didn't help any). Look how sad and flat my cake turned out! I've just put it in the fridge until I decide what to do with it. I'm sure it tastes pretty good but those would have been some very short mini rounds!

i6816.jpg

Nice danishes, Arbuclo!!! Enguiring minds want to know .....how did you get them to stay together ???? You haven't got my "flying points"!! ;)

As to the genoise ----welll........maybe some mini-mini rounds?? I mean ....today my best friend said "Gee...I thought petit fours were supposed to be smaller?"