• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Baking With Julia" by Julia Child (2004)

SethG

Thank you, rcaffelle and I82Much, for your replies...but unfortunately my computer died on me before I could read them! Arg, technology. It was a computerless weekend. I'm now at school/work, using the computers here...

At any rate, having not been able to read your replies to my query, I trudged on with my 8x8 pan...and it went just fine! Like I82Much, I was worried that the brownies would rise too much--there was a lot of batter in the bowl--but when I poured the batter into the pan, it really didn't come very far up the sides. The brownies did indeed rise, but they stayed well below the top of the pan. I baked them a little longer than the recipe called for, since they were thicker, and they turned out marvelously. We whipped up some cream with a bit of vanilla and a dash of powdered sugar, and then we moved in for the kill. :biggrin: Mmmmm.

She blogs: Orangette

Well, like 182Much, my croissant experience was, shall we say, less than ideal.

Everything went fine until I got to the second turn of the dough. At that point, the dough did not want to roll out to the specified dimensions, and I started getting butter coming out at the edges. I got it out as large as I could and folded it. The third turn went the same way. I froze the dough for several hours (as by this time it was midnight) and put it in the fridge in the middle of the night to thaw. (I was worried about the dough rising).

When rolling out the croissants, I again couldn't get the dough to the specified dimensions, no doubt due in no small part to the inadequate rolling earlier. I did the best I could and soldiered on, cutting and forming the croissants. Here I also had trouble, as many of them began to delaminate as I stretched them (too much pressure?) or broke.

I froze half and finished half. They did not visibly leak any butter while rising, but they did during baking, and flattened somewhat during baking.

The end results tasted good (so my husband says), but I could see that they are way too dense inside and not the light airy things they're supposed to be.

My first thought is on incorporating the butter. When I make puff pastry, I roll out the detrempe into a diamond shape, with a center space about 10x10 inches, and the butter is laid in there. The four sides of the diamond are folded over, and there's no need to pound the butter into the dough because it's already flat. I think this method seals the butter into the dough more effectively.

As to the toughness of rolling out the dough, it might be that I didn't let it rest long enough between turns (2 hours each, but it was in my beer fridge, which was turned very low, to keep the beer more at cellar temp than ice cold).

I don't understand what went wrong with shaping the croissants (the stretching).

A frustrating exercise, to be sure, though it does make me want to make puff pastry - perhaps to prove to myself that I CAN make a successful, non-tough laminated dough.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I noticed the first black mission figs at my produce market this afternoon. I've been champing at the bit on this one. Figs, raspberries, that can only mean one thing: Raspberry and fig crostata.

I probably won't make it until next weekend (the 26th), though, as I'll be in impossibly hot Sacramento this coming weekend, which is not an especially good place for rolling out finicky pastry dough.

Anyone with me?

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I must confess I had to make a less than ideal substitution - i substituted bread machine yeast for the cake yeast, not sure how much I used- I used a conversion somewhere online. If I were to make again, I'd be sure to have the correct yeast - I don't think I'm getting any of the yeast action, certainly not to the extent she describes in the video.

I didn't have problems with butter oozing out until proofing, but again that's because I proofed at too high a temperature.

I have half of the dough frozen in the freezer waiting for a good occasion to use it. I must must must roll out the dough thin enough this time though...

I fear I've overworked the dough with my little dinky rolling pin. I was interested in seeing how she managed to get it into such large shapes with so few strokes with that massive rolling pin of hers - perhaps this is also the secret to how hers are so light and airy

Hi everyone! I'm back after a week's holidays. I'm up for making the crostata, though I won't be doing the summer fruit thing! I love that they often give other suggestions regarding fillings in BWJ!

Oh, and I cooked the brownies, when I did them, in an 8x8 pan. I don't remember adjusting the time but probably did out of habit.

I managed to make the popovers this weekend to go with dinner. They turned out well and I'd make them again. I would, however, make sure that we got to them just as they came out of the oven because I'm sure they're even better than after they've cooled a smidge. I did forget to oil the pans, though! :wacko: Good thing the pan that had most of the popovers was a really good non stick one.

I also made the infamous pebble bread and I'm pleased to report that they turned out fabulously and delciously. Plus I had such a good time "pebbling" them and cooking them in a skillet. Sethg I think you said you had to throw out your starter because it went "off". I wonder if mine went well because it's winter here and room temp at night is not really proper room temp?! One thing I would make sure I did next time is be sure that I put in the full tablespoon of salt. I think that'd make them taste better on their own. I love the chewy texture of this bread. I also found that you can make them really shiny by spraying them with more water about 2 minutes before they're finished cooking under the broiler. I'm having problems with imagegullet so I'll post a pic of the the bread a bit later.

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

I made Croissants this weekend and I'm pleased to say they turned out pretty well (except maybe for the flying tails ;) ....practice, practice, practice! ;)

I started with the Baking with Julia recipe and watched the video. But as I looked around the forum for more tips and read everyone's croissant making stories, I found that Andiesenji had recommended the recipe from "How to Bake" by Nick Malgieri. So I got out both recipes and compared. They are quite similar, except Nick uses a less cumbersome, less time-consuming technigue and also less butter ---3 sticks instead of 4 1/2.

To me, 4 1/2 sticks of butter just seemed like too much (and I LIKE butter! ;) So I used the Malgieri recipe and a combination of the techniques. Mixed the flour and butter in the mixer and made it into a flat rectangle and wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated. Seemed to me to make more sense to try and make it approximately the shape and size I wanted it to be instead of trying to beat a block of butter down into the middle of the dough. And it worked quite well. MInimal butter oozing and they were very light and flaky.

Now, if I could just get my ice cream right, life would be good ;)

And that's this week's progress report from sunny Aurora ;)

Yeah, Imagegullet's back up! Here's what my pebble bread looked like:

i8748.jpg

The recipe says that the bread should be eaten the day it is made. I had some the second day and it was still as delicious. The third day not so much, though heating it helped. I froze some too so I hope they taste like day one or day two bread!

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

I made the crostata this weekend. My filling was pear (because they're in season at the moment) blueberry (because I had some frozen ones on hand) and almonds (because they'd suggested that somewhere in the other combinations listed).

I thought the dough was a bit thick using their instructions for dividing it and rolling it out but it turned out OK. I did have a bit of a panic that perhaps the bottom wouldn't be fully cooked but I think it was. I didn't have/couldn't find a decorative wheel cutter so I just used an knife. Once I got the hang of what they were suggesting for putting on the top strips, it was a breeze and I liked the pattern that method made.

I brought it into the office to exclamations of exhaltation and they all said it was good. Haven't tasted it yet (though I seemed to have problems not eating the raw dough because it was yum) but I've taken a piece of it to share with hubby.

Here's my pic:

i9027.jpg

I think I'll do the amaretti today or tomorrow. They sounded pretty easy yet interesting to play with.

Anyone else still around in this forum?

Anyone else still around in this forum?

::listening to the echoes in the hallway"

Yep ..still around. Just have been too busy to bake much lately. Last thing I did was the Croissants.

And that is one beautiful pastry you did there, Arbuclo!! :) Looking forward to pictures of the Amaretti :)

If you guys are still going with this idea, I would love to hop on board........that is if its okay. This sounds like my kind of thing. I do still need to buy the book, but would do so happily if you guys are still baking. I realise that I am several months late. Oh well.

~Ben

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

I'm definitely still interested! I baked the amaretti last night but they've turned into amaretti hit by a bus because I didn't follow the exceedingly easy recipe correctly! They still taste yum and I'll just tell my guests that they're a new kind of amaretti...flat amaretti! Bake on!

Oh, what a beautiful crostata! I have to admit, I haven't made it yet, but I think I will this weekend. We're going to a 'cue on Saturday.

I am definitely still interested in participating. I made the Persian Nan on Monday - VERY easy and fun! I used about 1/3 whole wheat flour just to give it a little more tooth.

i9123.jpg

Edited to fix wonky tag

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

If you guys are still going with this idea, I would love to hop on board........that is if its okay. This sounds like my kind of thing. I do still need to buy the book, but would do so happily if you guys are still baking. I realise that I am several months late. Oh well.

~Ben

Absolutely Ben !! We would love to have you join us!! Everyone kindof comes and goes as there schedule permits.

I would suggest looking on Ebay for the book.....I've seen quite a few good deals on the BWJ book!

--Jan

Alright, I'll hop right on. Hopefully I'll have the book by next week, but of course, I leave for a month the week after. I may have to pick up in am month or so....but I sure am excited!

~Ben

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

I made the Persian Nan on Monday - VERY easy and fun! I used about 1/3 whole wheat flour just to give it a little more tooth.

Those look great! Well done! I've got a great list of things in the book that I still want to try. Not sure where to begin. Between BWJ and the Bread Bible by RLB I just wanna stay home and bake! There are a couple of Bread Bible recipes I thought I'd try this weekend but I might try some new stuff from BWJ in the next week.

Last weekend I did a couple of recipes from BWJ that I forgot to mention. Did the potato bread AGAIN! This time I made it into mini loaves in a mini loaf tin I've been dying to use. They were bloody cute! I also made the semolina bread and shaped it into rolls. I think I'd like to try that one again because I didn't get a chance to try the rolls. (Took them to a Christmas party...Christmas in July with some other northern hemisphere people who are used to cold Christmases, so we have a winter Christmas too! (I'm in Oz, by the way.)) The rolls seemed to be really airy inside.

Yesterday I made the Raspberry-Fig Crostata, but since I couldn't find figs, I substituted peaches instead. Boy, that dough was tough to work with when it got warm! I considered putting the strips back in the fridge for a few minutes while I was putting them on top, but decided against it. It came out a little more in favor of the raspberry flavor, not quite enough peach flavor, but overall very good, and it was well-received at the party I took it to.

Anyone else have major butter leakage while it baked? I had a big puddle of melted butter/oil on the parchment when I took the crostata out of the oven.

i9313.jpg

Next up, the mixed starter bread (hoping to bake on Tuesday)

Edited to ask about the butter puddle.

Edited by jgarner53 (log)

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

foodie3, you're making me really want to try the brioche. Looks good and I bet it tasted excellent.

jgarner53, my crostata had a fair bit of butter leakage. You can sorta tell by the paper under it in the picture...greasy spots. Probably not that unusual since there's lots of butter. Raspberry peach sounds like a great flavour combo! With regard to your comment about dough being hard to work with when it warmed up...guess it's lucky it's winter here and my house is cold!

Made the focaccia dough this weekend because I've been wanting to do the leaf shape for quite a while. It turned out very pretty:

i9758.jpg

I don't think I shaped my dough as "fat" as they did in the book and might try that next time. The shape was incredibly easy to do and looked very impressive, I think. I'd do it again for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems to be summer hiatus, or at least I'm hoping it is since I was quite enjoying this thread. Of course it's perfect time for me to be baking since I live in the southern hemisphere and it's winter. I'm still amusing myself with baking from other books at the moment.

I did it initially to make the lamb pizza things that follow the pita recipe. I added spiced yogurt dollops on the top. It was very very tasty!

I wanted to add that the lamb topping for the "pizzas" works very well as a main dish with rice, pasta, or couscous, as well. (In fact, I normally make it and serve it with rice pilaf. :)

Hmm. I feel like making some tonight. Wonder if we have any lamb in the freezer...