• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do apples ever make you cough?

Pan

My mother is allergic to raw celery. Has been all of her life, but she loves the stuff and finds way to build up her ability to eat it.

When I was eight or so, she went into anaphyactic shock from it - lips swollen, hands itchy and finally her throat swelled shut. Still, the crazy lady eats celery. She can't imagine having a bloody mary without it.

Most of the time, she eats a little and is fine. (I watch angrily, worrying) I wonder if this is why I have such an aversion to celery, cooked or otherwise. Ha!

You should always wash your mangoes and avoid any of the goop that sometimes forms around the stem. Mangoes can give most people a rash. Never start playing with mangoes off the tree. Most should be washed that are in the store, but it doesn't mean there isn't residue.

that's what iu've found helps.

actually i can't get in contact with the skin at all, so i kind of cut the flesh off the peel. then after eating it, i wash my mouth real well with soap and water. my lips still get a bit chapped, but not nearly as bad as it was the first time.

what's strange is that i've eaten mangoes since i was little, and didn't develop this reaction til i was about 17. totally random.

Yes. My friend once had a bowl that he made out of a Red Delicious apple. When I smokeed out of it, it made me cough.

So do carrot and potato bowls.

:wink:

Noise is music. All else is food.