• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starwich Salads & Sandwiches

rosie11211

It was really good...except that when I unwrapped it back at the office, the pickles were missing.  Can't decide if someone left them off by accident, or thought I was weird for wanting cukes and pickles. Either way,  :hmmm:.

Geez, if Starwich had just read your eGullet bio, they would have KNOWN that you're the Cucumber Queen. :smile:

Is Starwich coming to Chicago anytime soon?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

The standard sandwiches have something going for them, as I'd have never chosen that particular combination of ingredients on my own.

Agree wholeheartedly. It may be the "make your own" deal that pulls them in, but the standards are something special.

It was really good...except that when I unwrapped it back at the office, the pickles were missing.  Can't decide if someone left them off by accident, or thought I was weird for wanting cukes and pickles. Either way,  :hmmm:.

Geez, if Starwich had just read your eGullet bio, they would have KNOWN that you're the Cucumber Queen. :smile:

Is Starwich coming to Chicago anytime soon?

I know it! :wink:

Actually, I forgot to add the postscript to the whole pickles and cucumber experience...I went back a few days later and ordered the same sandwich. The SAME THING happened. My friend Danielle went back in for me and asked for pickles...they said they were out, and that's why they were left off my sandwich.

Well, ok, but why didn't someone tell me? Humph. I still love Starwich (had the short rib signature sandwich the other day, and it was to die for), but I'm not overly impressed with the attention to detail. The service is really friendly, though.

Oh, man. This post makes me sound so crotchety! :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I tried Starwich for the first time last week. Had the Soft Shell Crab BLT and felt incredibly cheated and unexpectedly disappointed. The soft shell crab itself was miniscule (although I understand that may have something to do with the seasonality of soft shell crab, which is something I know very little about). If the main ingredient of a sandwich does not cover more than half of the sandwich (i.e. I could have taken the crab and put it between one half of the sandwich once the sandwich has been cut in half), then we have a problem. The coating on the crab somehow managed to be both gritty and soggy at the same time. The bacon was overcooked and very tough. The bread was clearly stale although some of the staleness had been covered up by the fact that it was toasted. The tomato was ridiculously bland (again, a seasonal thing, I understand, but c'mon!). Just one bad thing after another. The only reasonably tasty part of the whole thing was the aioli, but good aioli does not a good sandwich make, I'm afraid. Was this bad experience a stroke of bad luck or did I just make a bad menu choice? What am I missing here people? I found myself intrigued by all the ingredients they offer in the build-your-own category, but I think it would take a miracle to get me back there after that atrocity of a sandwich.

I tried Starwich for the first time last week.  Had the Soft Shell Crab BLT and felt incredibly cheated and unexpectedly disappointed.  The soft shell crab itself was miniscule (although I understand that may have something to do with the seasonality of soft shell crab, which is something I know very little about).  If the main ingredient of a sandwich does not cover more than half of the sandwich (i.e. I could have taken the crab and put it between one half of the sandwich once the sandwich has been cut in half), then we have a problem.  The coating on the crab somehow managed to be both gritty and soggy at the same time.  The bacon was overcooked and very tough.  The bread was clearly stale although some of the staleness had been covered up by the fact that it was toasted.  The tomato was ridiculously bland (again, a seasonal thing, I understand, but c'mon!).  Just one bad thing after another.  The only reasonably tasty part of the whole thing was the aioli, but good aioli does not a good sandwich make, I'm afraid.  Was this bad experience a stroke of bad luck or did I just make a bad menu choice?  What am I missing here people?  I found myself intrigued by all the ingredients they offer in the build-your-own category, but I think it would take a miracle to get me back there after that atrocity of a sandwich.

That's interesting, Tupac...I haven't tried the soft-shell crab BLT, so I can't comment directly. However, I do know that when my friend Madhurima got it, she really liked it, but also made the comment about its size...

Can I ask which branch you visited?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I've had the soft-shell crab BLT four times. The first three times, it was one of the best sandwiches I'd ever had -- I couldn't stop thinking about it. The fourth time, I think I had the same sandwich as Tupac. I didn't record the dates, so I'm not sure if it has to do with seasonality (if so, they should only sell it in season), or with Starwich's expansion (I'd expect some, hopefully temporary, quality dips from expansion), or with something else (a change in supplier, etc.). I'll try another one soon.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've had the soft-shell crab BLT four times. The first three times, it was one of the best sandwiches I'd ever had -- I couldn't stop thinking about it. The fourth time, I think I had the same sandwich as Tupac. I didn't record the dates, so I'm not sure if it has to do with seasonality (if so, they should only sell it in season), or with Starwich's expansion (I'd expect some, hopefully temporary, quality dips from expansion), or with something else (a change in supplier, etc.). I'll try another one soon.

Can you say what, exactly, was off about the fourth S.S.C. BLT? Too mushy? Or was the shell too shell-y (ie. already hardening?). I find that towards the end of the season, either cookos are getting lazy and using not-so-fresh crabs, or their really forcing it by sneaking in slightly hardened "soft shells."

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Can I ask which branch you visited?

It was the Wall Street branch. I'd walked into the branch kind of near Macy's one time when I was waaaay to full to eat another ounce, but I picked up a menu and had been meaning to give the place a try sometime. Found myself in the Wall Street area last week, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Too bad the sandwich was such a dud, but, hey, guess I should look on the bright side. There was, of course, Financier Patisserie for consolation. :wub:

• 1 month later...

Starwich is reviewed in the "$25 and Under" column in today's Times. Here's a sampling:

The menu at all of the Starwiches I visited features a short list of "signature" salads and sandwiches. Among them were successes, like a braised short rib sandwich ($8.95) served on baguette-shaped challah from Amy's Bread, dressed with red onions cooked to peak sweetness. Another was the skirt steak salad ($9.95) with peppery arugula, piquant Peppadew peppers and sliced skirt steak that made up for its key shortcoming — it was cooked long before it made its way on to my salad — by being pleasantly spicy. The Starwich Cobb salad ($11.95), classically composed, hit the spot, even if I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I agree about that short rib sandwich. Mmm-mmm good.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

As you all know, we are lucky enough this week to have Spiro Baltas join us for an eG Spotlight Conversation about Starwich and about sandwich-making in general!

For those of you eager for tidbits about our guest this week, we've gathered together a bit of information - some from Starwich's business plan, some from my personal experiences at their shops, and filled to bursting with some gorgeous pictures provided by the generous Starwich staff.

You've probably already listened to Fat Guy's interview with Spiro Baltas and his Starwich colleagues, and now it's time to get down to business and learn more about the burgeoning chain and its take on the sandwich shop.

Environment

Each location follows the Starwich brand’s sense of style, substance, energy and fun.  This sense is echoed by design elements of pastels, earth tones, luscious plants, glass tiles,simple textures, durable surfaces, natural wood floors, clean lines and balanced lighting.

gallery_1_2470_97299.jpg

Starwich's E. 53rd Street location

They have termed their seating areas “Living Rooms” and filled them with overstuffed leather couches and cubic ottomans. Low coffee tables attract groups that are interested in socializing or working on a project, and private tables offer the perfect setting for the single businessperson working quietly or the pair of friends engaging in intimate conversation.  The conference tables in select locations accommodate large groups.

gallery_1_2470_538804.jpg

gallery_1_2470_59985.jpg

Starwich's Wall Street location

Hospitality

Starwich’s staff is uniquely trained under the guidelines of The Starwich Service System, a training program that consists in part of standardized 5-day training rubrics and regular testing of all employees to ensure thorough knowledge of product and service standards.

The staff is welcoming, warm and inviting. Trained to remember names, faces and specific orders, their kindness is conveyed through casual conversations that never contain the word “no.”

gallery_1_2470_444249.jpg

The staff in action at the Wall Street location.

Although hospitality is a mere detail to some competitors, it is their primary focus. In today’s fast-paced world, the guest is often ignored and taken for granted. Starwich not only encourages but requires their staff to go above and beyond for the guest.

Amenities

Amenities at each Starwich location include:

•      Free Wi-Fi Wireless Internet Access

•      Cell Phone Chargers

•      Fax Machines

•      Photocopiers

Menu

Starwich offers 18 signature salads and sandwiches in addition to a Create Your Own option, where guests may invent their own meal from the selection of over 120 ingredients such as soft shell crab, Kobe beef, filet mignon, and seasonal exotic vegetables.

gallery_1_2470_337741.jpg

Young vegetable gratin sandwich

Starwich embraces the opportunity to introduce to the general consumer ingredients formerly reserved for more exclusive, formal restaurants, and to translate the ingredients’ eclectic flavors to the portable and convenient formats of salads and sandwiches.  Starwich hopes to change sandwich-ordering the way Starbucks revolutionized the ordering of coffee.

In addition to the signature menu items created by their executive chef, Starwich patrons can create their own salads or sandwiches, using the in-line ordering card below as a guide:

gallery_1_2470_133624.jpg

Starwich is dedicated to using only the freshest ingredients and only works with local farmers and purveyors who pride themselves in maintaining the highest standards of quality.  The ingredients are the foundation of the product.

gallery_1_2470_12581.jpg

Black olive crusted seared tuna salad

gallery_1_2470_283674.jpg

Lobster salad

All food is made from scratch, with items like dressing and soups prepared at the area commissary, and every sandwich or salad made to order.  Nothing is pre-processed or preserved.  Starwich uses only open flame stoves, ovens, and toasters.  Nothing is ever microwaved or put under heat lamps.  All sandwiches are toasted, to slightly crisp the bread and elevate the flavors.

gallery_1_2470_537820.jpg

Pomegranate-juniper glazed chicken sandwich

Breakfast and dessert are also served – pastries are made from scratch at the local commissary, and include tarts, croissants, cookies, and bread pudding.  Additionally, Starwich currently offers an array of coffee drinks brewed from Illy Café, and are pursuing a co-branding opportunity for their own private-label coffee.  Also served are homemade hot chocolate, spiced apple cider, and a selection of teas.

gallery_1_2470_174368.jpg

Drinks at the 42nd Street location

So, if any of that has pulled you in (and with pictures like that, how could it not?), please join us in our eG Conversation with Spiro Baltas, already in progress!

gallery_1_2470_38930.jpg

Starwich co-founder Spiro Baltas

42nd Street location???? Where??

• 2 years later...

Given the state of the economy, seems unlikely.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!