• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starwich Salads & Sandwiches

rosie11211

Seriously, though - sandwiches are really just an efficient delivery system for whatever you put between the bread (the bread, of course, is also important), and can be incredibly delicious.  It's not formal, it's not fine dining, but that don't mean it ain't dang tasty.

Megan, you put that so well. I love sandwiches so much, and never thought of it that way before.

One of the reasons I love sandwiches so much might be that we don't make them often at home, and that is probably because whenever I buy bread, I use enough for a couple of sandwiches and the rest gets stale. Guess that's the price we pay for an empty nest household.

So anyway, I love to get sandwiches when I go out, and I am lusting after something from Starwich. I think I'm working up to an excuse to travel north, as soon as spring is really here. I hope you or somebody will be willing to show me around and lead me to a Starwich if I decide to fly to NY!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I think I'm working up to an excuse to travel north, as soon as spring is really here.  I hope you or somebody will be willing to show me around and lead me to a Starwich if I decide to fly to NY!

I'll be willing to show you around, just try to make it before they run out of truffles :raz: .

Megan, you put that so well.  I love sandwiches so much, and never thought of it that way before.

One of the reasons I love sandwiches so much might be that we don't make them often at home, and that is probably because whenever I buy bread, I use enough for a couple of sandwiches and the rest gets stale.  Guess that's the price we pay for an empty nest household.

So anyway, I love to get sandwiches when I go out, and I am lusting after something from Starwich.  I think I'm working up to an excuse to travel north, as soon as spring is really here.  I hope you or somebody will be willing to show me around and lead me to a Starwich if I decide to fly to NY!

Thanks, Susan!

I'm the same way...as a single gal, it's hard to go through a whole loaf of bread before it turns stale. I don't eat breakfast during the week, so toast is out - but if I do submit to the craving, I usually end up making either bread pudding or french toast before the week is out.

And you bet I'd be up for showing you around! Starwich is only the beginning! :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I wonder what Starwich does about the toast issue when it does deliveries. I've never thought to ask, and I've never had Starwich sandwiches delivered because I'm still waiting for the damn Upper East Side store to open.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I wonder what Starwich does about the toast issue when it does deliveries. I've never thought to ask, and I've never had Starwich sandwiches delivered because I'm still waiting for the damn Upper East Side store to open.

Steve by "toast issue" do you mean heat retention or sogginess. I will be sure to ask them next time I am in.

Toast just doesn't travel well. Within a few minutes of coming out of the toaster, it degenerates, and if you wrap it and schlep it outside and in then the situation is worse. I'm wondering if, for delivery, they just skip the toasting phase altogether.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Toast just doesn't travel well. Within a few minutes of coming out of the toaster, it degenerates, and if you wrap it and schlep it outside and in then the situation is worse. I'm wondering if, for delivery, they just skip the toasting phase altogether.

Yes toast is one of the fussiest items when it comes to travel. The steam/crisp factor always gets e'ffed up. Are you though saying that they possibly forego with toasting for delivery, if this is the case I feel that it is not the best way to go about things IMHO. If I ran a similar operation I think I might par-toast the bread before assembly to retain crispness, allow a sufficient cool down time to allow for steam/heat release. Otherwise just be like Mr. McFeeley and make it a "speedy delivery” :smile:

Since my office gets Starwich delivered at least twice a week, I feel qualified to respond. They do toast their bread (though lightly) for deliveries and I don't feel as if I've ever had any bread-texture issues -- they may, for all I know, be par-toasting it. What I have had issues with is their ludicrous delivery infrastructure, where you call the central office (1866wichtogo), then they submit the order to the store (electronically perhaps). This results in any special requests not in the computer (even mundane things like what type of potato chips they have) to (often) get miscommunicated and bars you from ordering any specials (like soups).

That said, it's one of the best options on Wall Street -- exactly what I hoped it would be way earlier upthread.

Edited by kurl (log)

I'll have to order a sandwich to double check this, but I've never enjoyed cold toast.

Interesting that special requests and phone orders in general aren't handled smoothly. The online ordering interface seems very sophisticated and allows for special requests ("Enter your special requests here") to be printed up right on the ticket printer in the kitchen -- one would think that would virtually eliminate the possibility of miscommunication.

I'm going to road test these systems thoroughly when the Upper East Side place opens.

P.S. Looking on the Starwich website this morning, there's still lots of talk about the smart card ("Starwich Profile Card").

Well, just got back from a brisk walk in the chilly weather (about time, too - it's the end of January, for Pete's sake!). My destination? Starwich, at 53rd and Lex (downstairs in the Citicorp Center). This outpost is pretty small, just the kitchen counter, one cashier, a high bar with stools, and a few ottomans and tables in the corner. It wasn't too busy, though, and my friend and I were one of only three groups who got their sandwiches to stay. There was even a group of (what looked like) businessmen having a meeting in the corner, true to Starwich's goal of providing a space that can serve as a professional meeting place.

I had the pomegranate and juniper glazed chicken sandwich, which was served on semolina and raisin bread and garnished with a shallot confit mousse and an endive and frisee salad. It was really, really good. There was a bit too much of the shallot mousse for my taste, but other than that, I can't fault it. The bread was sliced thick enough to hold up to the sandwich, but thin enough to get nice and crispy when toasted. The overall taste of the sandwich was sort of sweet and oniony, no surprise what with the raisins, caramelized shallots and fruit-glazed chicken, I guess!

My favorite part was that the sandwich was not overstuffed. I hate having to pull meat or veggies off of a sandwich because the thing is just too big to fit into my mouth. This sandwich managed to be really filling without being overwhelming - definitely worth the $8.95 I paid for it.

Can't wait to see what their UES outpost looks like - I sense many a Saturday afternoon visit in my future! :smile:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

The Citicorp location barely cuts it as a place to hang out and do business. I've done it -- recently had a meeting with three people there -- but it was awkward compared to the spacious, comfortable 42nd Street location. I imagine that place does something like 99% of its business as takeout and delivery, and the real estate there is probably quite expensive, so the decision to build it that way makes sense to me. But I much prefer the 42nd Street location and hope the Upper East Side and Upper West Side ones will be more like that.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really funny - every time I decide to go to Starwich for lunch, it's suddenly cold out. Anyhoo...

Headed down there today with the idea of creating my own sandwich from the list of ingredients, which turned out to be an overwhelming task. Should have prepped before I left the office. :laugh: I ended up going for an old-fashioned BLT, made with the slab bacon, baby romaine, heirloom tomatoes and mayo on the five-grain bread. And, since for make-your-own you get five ingredients, I decided to go all crazy and slap some roasted corn on there as well.

It was delicious. The bread was (once again) toasted to perfection, and the balance of ingredients was perfect. The bacon was tender and juicy without being greasy, and all my qualms about the over-dressed chicken sandwich were quieted by the just-right amount of mayo on this sandwich.

Next time, I may have to do their filet mignon sandwich. Yum.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan

We actually do toast the sandwiches for delivery. We wrap them and convey them in a way that keeps them warm for a period of time.

I'm looking forward to being here next week to answer questions.

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

• 2 weeks later...

As you all know, we are lucky enough this week to have Spiro Baltas join us for an eG Spotlight Conversation about Starwich and about sandwich-making in general!

For those of you eager for tidbits about our guest this week, we've gathered together a bit of information - some from Starwich's business plan, some from my personal experiences at their shops, and filled to bursting with some gorgeous pictures provided by the generous Starwich staff.

You've probably already listened to Fat Guy's interview with Spiro Baltas and his Starwich colleagues, and now it's time to get down to business and learn more about the burgeoning chain and its take on the sandwich shop.

Environment

Each location follows the Starwich brand’s sense of style, substance, energy and fun. This sense is echoed by design elements of pastels, earth tones, luscious plants, glass tiles,simple textures, durable surfaces, natural wood floors, clean lines and balanced lighting.

gallery_1_2470_97299.jpg

Starwich's E. 53rd Street location

They have termed their seating areas “Living Rooms” and filled them with overstuffed leather couches and cubic ottomans. Low coffee tables attract groups that are interested in socializing or working on a project, and private tables offer the perfect setting for the single businessperson working quietly or the pair of friends engaging in intimate conversation. The conference tables in select locations accommodate large groups.

gallery_1_2470_538804.jpg

gallery_1_2470_59985.jpg

Starwich's Wall Street location

Hospitality

Starwich’s staff is uniquely trained under the guidelines of The Starwich Service System, a training program that consists in part of standardized 5-day training rubrics and regular testing of all employees to ensure thorough knowledge of product and service standards.

The staff is welcoming, warm and inviting. Trained to remember names, faces and specific orders, their kindness is conveyed through casual conversations that never contain the word “no.”

gallery_1_2470_444249.jpg

The staff in action at the Wall Street location.

Although hospitality is a mere detail to some competitors, it is their primary focus. In today’s fast-paced world, the guest is often ignored and taken for granted. Starwich not only encourages but requires their staff to go above and beyond for the guest.

Amenities

Amenities at each Starwich location include:

• Free Wi-Fi Wireless Internet Access

• Cell Phone Chargers

• Fax Machines

• Photocopiers

Menu

Starwich offers 18 signature salads and sandwiches in addition to a Create Your Own option, where guests may invent their own meal from the selection of over 120 ingredients such as soft shell crab, Kobe beef, filet mignon, and seasonal exotic vegetables.

gallery_1_2470_337741.jpg

Young vegetable gratin sandwich

Starwich embraces the opportunity to introduce to the general consumer ingredients formerly reserved for more exclusive, formal restaurants, and to translate the ingredients’ eclectic flavors to the portable and convenient formats of salads and sandwiches. Starwich hopes to change sandwich-ordering the way Starbucks revolutionized the ordering of coffee.

In addition to the signature menu items created by their executive chef, Starwich patrons can create their own salads or sandwiches, using the in-line ordering card below as a guide:

gallery_1_2470_133624.jpg

Starwich is dedicated to using only the freshest ingredients and only works with local farmers and purveyors who pride themselves in maintaining the highest standards of quality. The ingredients are the foundation of the product.

gallery_1_2470_12581.jpg

Black olive crusted seared tuna salad

gallery_1_2470_283674.jpg

Lobster salad

All food is made from scratch, with items like dressing and soups prepared at the area commissary, and every sandwich or salad made to order. Nothing is pre-processed or preserved. Starwich uses only open flame stoves, ovens, and toasters. Nothing is ever microwaved or put under heat lamps. All sandwiches are toasted, to slightly crisp the bread and elevate the flavors.

gallery_1_2470_537820.jpg

Pomegranate-juniper glazed chicken sandwich

Breakfast and dessert are also served – pastries are made from scratch at the local commissary, and include tarts, croissants, cookies, and bread pudding. Additionally, Starwich currently offers an array of coffee drinks brewed from Illy Café, and are pursuing a co-branding opportunity for their own private-label coffee. Also served are homemade hot chocolate, spiced apple cider, and a selection of teas.

gallery_1_2470_174368.jpg

Drinks at the 42nd Street location

So, if any of that has pulled you in (and with pictures like that, how could it not?), please join us in our eG Conversation with Spiro Baltas, already in progress!

gallery_1_2470_38930.jpg

Starwich co-founder Spiro Baltas

Queenie Takes Manhattan

First visit to Starwich (38th & 6th location).

1. When I was reading the Q&A with Starwich progenitor Spiro Baltas, I was inclined to agree in theory with the poster who said that $9 was not a high but rather a low price for the type of sandwich Starwich appeared to offer, and that perhaps $12 would be a fair price. Now that I've seen the size of ths sandwiches, I don't agree. When you first look (before you taste), you think $9 is pretty pricey for a sandwich that would best be described as "mid-size". After you eat it, you think it's so good that it's worth the $9. But I think anything above that would be too expensive, and I also think it would drive away business.

2. The sandwich was delicious! Not having taken the time to peruse their website and consider a custom order, I had one of their pre-configured "singature" sandwiches: braised short rib with balsamic poached red onion and cabrales on toasted challah ("toasted" is in a sense unnecessary to say as their breads are always toasted -- a preference with which I strongly concur). The meat was tender and full-flavored: unbelievably good for what is essentially a storefront sandwich place. The onions (and the challah, for that matter) were very tasty -- but the vinegar in the onions seemed to me to overwhelm the cabrales, which I could hardly taste at all. To the extent that's a criticism, it's hardly fatal: this was a really good sandwich.

3. Spiro seems to be following the same approach as Will Goldfarb and his people at Room 4 Dessert: extreme solicitousness to the customer. The counterpeople and buspeople were so nice and welcoming that I wondered whether Spiro was holding their families hostage somewhere to insure their good conduct. They have various kinds of jacks out on a table for customer cell-phone recharging. Although this particular location is tiny, they have made a significant effort to have comfortable seating.

4. This branch is only a few blocks away from the 'wichcraft kiosks in Bryant Park. I would be interested in people's comparisons. My initial thought, on the basis of this one sandwich at Starwich, is that as good as 'wichcraft is, Starwich might be a little better -- for the somewhat paradoxical reason that Starwich is less daring and sophisticated culinarily. Sometimes I admire 'wichcraft's sandwiches more than I like them: they aren't that easy to eat (I don't mean physically; I mean the way they taste). At lunch during the workday, you might not want to be challenged as much as comforted. My initial thought is that Starwich does this at a very high level -- higher, perhaps, than you'd ever have expected at a place like this.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I prefer Starwich to wichcraft both for the variety, the custom sandwich option, and the quality. You make a good point on the staff, I have never been to a "storefront" shop where they have remembered my name after the first visit.

So, earlier this week, I had a very disappointing Starwich experience, as related on my blog. The sandwich (I had the pulled duck confit signature sandwich) was great. The delivery service was awful.

However, I do love those sandwiches, and when my friend Danielle asked me to walk down to Lex with her for lunch today, I decided to pick up something to go from Starwich.

Predictably, it was delicious. I did the create-your-own option, and got roast beef, arugula, heirloom tomatoes and garlic-horseradish aioli on sourdough. I also got some dill pickle potato chips, which I really enjoyed. All in all, another positive in-store experience, which confirms my theory that they just need to work out some kinks in the delivery service.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

• 4 weeks later...

I walked over to Starwich today and got take-out...sadly, I couldn't eat there, since I had a 1:00 meeting. Which no one else has yet shown up for, hence the post. :wink:

Did the make-your-own and decided on baby greens, pomegranate chicken, cucumbers, pickles, and dijon, all on five-grain bread.

It was really good...except that when I unwrapped it back at the office, the pickles were missing. Can't decide if someone left them off by accident, or thought I was weird for wanting cukes and pickles. Either way, :hmmm:.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I had a cobb salad from Starwich, which was delicious. Don't know why I got a salad - meant to get a sandwhich, but I looked at the menu and it just called out my name. Next time I go, I design my own sandwich. And the service was great, BTW. I was a walk-in and took out, and they were very fast and very nice.

I do think they're a little pricey - wonderful, but pricey. That might be just me, though - I'm on a tight budget.

• 4 weeks later...

Ate one of their "fish and chips" sandwiches today - a standard, not a make your own. Delicious! Did a make your own a week or two ago, but I think I should have chosen arugula instead of artichokes with my roast beef. Live and learn (but it was fun trying!).