• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ice box cakes

alacarte

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos, but you can view an image of the Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake on the Epicurious site. The cake is beautiful, but the picture doesn't do it justice. Also, I don't pipe the topping, I do a smooth one with lots of grated chocolate on top. Here's a link to the photo (it's the cake in the front with the ladyfingers):Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Merstar, welcome and thanks for the recipes. I was looking for new ideas for my Super Bowl Party (see thread under the Special Occasions category) and I am definitely now going to make the Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake.

Thank you!

Trish

Here's my update: I'm happy to report that the Chocolate Eclair ice box cake went over well -- I noticed lots of empty plates!

Here's a link to the recipe I used. It's not lost on me that the banner ad at the top of the screen is for Weight Watchers -- this is a pretty calorific cake!

Thanks again for everyone's ideas and support. :smile:

TrishCT,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad you can use the Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake for your Super Bowl Party - it's delicious. Let me know how it turns out!

Edited by merstar (log)

Here's my update:  I'm happy to report that the Chocolate Eclair ice box cake went over well -- I noticed lots of empty plates!

Here's a link to the recipe I used. It's not lost on me that the banner ad at the top of the screen is for Weight Watchers -- this is a pretty calorific cake!

Thanks again for everyone's ideas and support.  :smile:

Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...
TrishCT,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad you can use the Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake for your Super Bowl Party - it's delicious. Let me know how it turns out!

Merstar,

The Mexican Chocolate Ice Box Dessert was wonderful! To....pardon the very bad pun..."kick it up a notch," using a pastry bag of ganache I drew football designs on the lady fingers.

They guys at the party thought it looked cool and after some of the women started eating it and swooning... they dug right in too...I had just a sliver left for myself.

This one is definitely a keeper, thank you again! :wub:

Trish

• 3 months later...

Matthew and I were inspired by the latest issue of Everyday Food to make the Chocolate-Mint Icebox Cake. It is, as Aussie describes above, the classic Nabisco roll with mint extract added to the whipped cream. Somehow neither of us had ever tried this dessert before. It was fun to make and turned out really delicious. I thought it might be all soft and pudding-y, but it sliced nicely and had good texture. Last night I fell asleep dreaming about variations: coffee-flavored whipped cream, vanilla with fresh raspberries or sliced strawberries tucked in, almond-flavored cream garnished with toasted sliced almonds and cherries... I see experiments in the future. I like the idea of ginger cookies. There's a cookie, I think the brand name is Anna, called Ginger Thins that is basically the ginger equivalent of Nabisco chocolate wafers. Must find some.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

In the November 2001 issue of the Chocolatier, Chef Claudia Fleming (according to the magazine, she's one of 10 Best Pastry Chef in America 2001) of Gramercy Tavern, NY shares her childhood favorite - Individual Chocolate Refrigerator Cakes with Chocolate Sauce. The recipe also uses mascarpone cream. My scanner isn't working but the picture looks very neat and yummy. I don't know if I can post the recipe here, but if you want I can PM it to you (to try for some other time).