• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts in DC

Tweaked

A question for you all. I'm looking for places that make good dessert destinations in DC.

As an example, romantic dinner at one restaurant but then off to another restaurant to linger over dessert and coffee.

What restaurants put the thought and effort into dessert to make them dessert destinations?

Do restaurants appreciate this business or do they look down upon people who show up at 10:00pm looking to spend an hour over dessert, perhaps some after dinner drinks, and a little coffee.

I really like the desserts at Palena (love the caramels on the cookie plate) and the desserts at Zaytinya are unique and very tasty. And I wouldn't imagine any problems in the bar area at either place.

Bill Russell

I don't know what the desserts offered at the bar look like, but I've been very pleased with the dessert menu at Ten Penh. So many restaurants seem to lose steam with the desserts, but I've been consistently impressed -- the trio of creme brulees, in particular, is very nice.

Desserts are served in the lounge at Citronelle on the late side. If you ask nicely :biggrin: you can get the "downstairs" dessert menu with 10 desserts, the full dessert wine offering, 6 different strengths of espresso and 8 fresh gourmet loose teas from Rishi Teas ( the Teaism people). Hope this helps.

Mark

emergency back-up:

after a bad meal, go to KramerBooks' cafe and ask to sit in Kenny's section. a couple years ago, he saved my birthday after a horrendous experience at a nearby 'good' restaurant.

from Tom's chat today: (HOW did people pass the time whilst staying home sick before egullet and online chats???)

Arlington, Va.: Hi Tom! I remember reading in the Post rave reviews about a DC restaurant that has a chocolate dessert buffet, but I can't find the article on the WP website. Can you remind me which restaurant that was or direct me to the archived article? I'm looking to take a chocoholic there on Friday to celebrate his birthday. Thanks!

Tom Sietsema: That would be the Capitol View Restaurant & Lounge atop the Hyatt Regency Hotel at 400 New Jersey Ave. NW. The buffet costs $12 if you order it with dinner, two dollars more by itself.