• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best coffee and espresso - where?

phaelon56

Ithaca NY based coffee roasters and masters of the truly amazing espresso shot, Gimme! Coffee, have now opened thir first NYC location.

Gimme! Coffee Williamsburg Brooklyn info

If you've read discussions here or elswhere about the elusive "godshot" or wondered what the big deal is when people discuss legendary Seattle espresso cafes like Vivace, Vita or Hine Public Coffee..... make a trip to Wiliamsburg.

IMHO this is at the moment some of the best espresso on the east coast bar none. Their espresso roast is a bit dark for my taste but they have use "Schomer modified" and PID controlled La Marzocco machines and pay great attention to the imnportant details of process - worth a visit. They also make a great cup of plain old coffee.

I am a complete non-expert on coffee, but I still have to concur about Gimme. I was in Ithaca last month visiting, and stopped by Gimme, since it's 3 blocks from the friends I was staying with.

The espresso is really, really, really good. Conveniently, a friend bought me some beans for Xmas, but they're not nearly as amazing. (They're also expanding well in Tompkins County; they now have 3 locations in greater Ithaca. Nice to see quality being rewarded.)

I'd suggest the trip to Ithaca versus Brooklyn, but that's just me...

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about possibly making a trip over to this place, and wondering what sort of eatables they have--their website talks only about the coffee. I know I'll be more inclined to go if there's also a nice piece of cake to be had.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science