• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Frog and the Peach

Rosie

Thanks Diva.. I am baffled myself..  I cant think of one good thing to say about the place.. This review is based on one meal, but I cant see it recovering with out a whole lot of changes..

After posting my reply Daniel I thought well maybe because of the Zagat's ratings that they, and most likely many other restaurants as well, just start looking out for the bottom line. Of course, with such slim profit margins all restaurants have to do that. What I mean is if management sees that their number of customers and profits remain the same and that they can get by with lousy ambience, indifferent/rude service, and mediocre food and charge the same prices, then why not? In this case perhaps (as well some others mentioned above) if they lose their faithful clientle, but those customers are rapidly replaced with those who dine based on Zagats and/or that if something costs a lot, then it's got to be good, well then why try to maintain past standards?

I know that people get criticized because they might base their poor opinion of a restaurant's performanced based on one meal, but in your case I think you did everything right from calling ahead because your party was running late to taking your complaints to management, and that they screwed up so badly at every level you are in no way obligated to give them a second bite at the apple.

BTW, a blessed and Happy New Year to you and yours. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I have always had memorable, outstanding dinners at The Frog and The Peach and was sorry to read about Daniel's experience. I must say that the pictures are gorgeous--beautifully plated food that looks delicious. I know the management/owners are very professional and concerned about any short comings that a patron may have and read the bb's for feedback on the restaurant.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I ate at the Frog & the Peach about a dozen years ago on my 30th birthday. It actually was quite good back then however I felt the price was more than it should have been for the quality and serving size. I've had better food at "The Manor" in west orange, "The Restaurant" - though a bit pricy... in Hackensack and nice atmosphere and very nice food at The Stony Hill Inn in Hackensack as well as The Old '76 house in Old Tappan, NY.

So if you are looking for upscale maybe try something different or new and just let friends know how good or bad it was (like you did!) however, my next place to try (and I hear it's good) is the Saddle River Inn? or something like that nearby, I'm hoping to get there for my birthday and back to the Silver Oak for our Anniversary or vice versa!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I have always had memorable, outstanding dinners at The Frog and The Peach and was sorry to read about Daniel's experience. I must say that the pictures are gorgeous--beautifully plated food that looks delicious. I know the management/owners are very professional and concerned about any short comings that a patron may have and read the bb's for feedback on the restaurant.

I know if there is someone who knows about a Jersey Restaurant its Rosie. Has there been any major changes lately there? When was the last time you were there? I can tell you that the Manager told me his line was down 2 or three people and that they werent his best... Also, whoever was working there Friday was not very professional at all.. The man allowed to have a double door open into the dining room. Was made aware of our complaints and did absolutely nothing.. He allowed people to track garbage bags passed us while we ate.. If they read this I would love a response.

One thing I should say was he gave us free dessert and free coffee to the two people who ordered it.. A free meal would have at least made me feel less cheated..

In terms of the plating.. I am not too impressed by the photos.. You have a thirty dollarish scallop main.. Does that look like a main course at New Jerseys top Restaurant? And the pork chop is facing the wrong way, the greens were thrown on the plate, and the wheat is sloppily spooned out.. The gnocci is way too big, to dense, and that style of throwing fried things on top is certainly creative for a Cheese Cake Factory, but stopped being popular a little over 10 years ago..

I would say the carpaccio is the only pretty dish.. And that too had its problems..

Edited by Daniel (log)

It's so disheartening to read your post, Daniel. While I haven't been to TF&TP in years, it comes as a shock that so much has gone downhill. It certainly has been touted as one of NJ's premier restaurants for a long time. I hope your experience was an anomaly and am curious to hear if others have had similar experiences recently.

Next time you're in the mood for a great meal, give Fortunato a try. Really. The tone/decor of the place isn't as fancy as TF&TP, but the food is far better than what you've described here, the wine list is terrific, and the staff will bend over backwards to take care of you. Oh, and I don't think they have even one entree that hits the $30 mark. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Sounds like a disaster. We find that when we have high expectations, we are disappointed. It's true with restaurants and high-priced wine; they rarely meet our expectations. We've been underwhelmed at Ryland Inn, Le Bernardin, Jean George, etc. Maybe F&P has hit its peak and is on its way down.

I just can't let Rosie's comment that the food "looks delicous" pass...Rosie, I know the places you frequent..those photos show a TERRIBLE presentation..hmm, scallops on a pile of rice, with same colored sauce..lets add some greens to the bullseye...that's not a presentation, that's a visual disaster!

To end the story on my latest experience at the Frog And The Peach, my entire meal plus gratuity has been refunded. I had been contacted by the Restaurant and it was handled perfectly.

It shows me a lot. As anyone in business knows, there are times when a mistake is made. The companies integrity is displayed by how it handles it. I am very impressed..

I felt the same way but I've been told in so many words to keep my mouth shut. :blink:

Wow--I certainly hope that's not the case! First, I would hope this board is above censorship of any kind. The honest discussion is one reason I think this board is better than most. And second, Lou, I think your frankness is what makes you who you are, and most of us wouldn't want to change that!

If we are now asking people to censor themselves, I'd have to think twice about trusting comments about restaurants being accurate or not, which is why I visit egullet in the first place....

Casey

I am also very pleased to see that this problem was dealt with professionally. My experience has been that the owners of the Frog and the Peach are extremely competent and run a first-class restaurant. Their concern for the customer is evident with how they handled Daniel’s unfortunate experience.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We are playing favorites, and it is simply not fair. Daniel can get all the refunds he wants, but will Rosie still say that F and P gets high points for presentations? I blasted Nicholas, but hell, the food was really, really pretty.

I am overdue for a visit, after three lunches this fall ( poor/acceptable/quite good) and a RAVE from well respected foodie friends, plus this thread...but I will visit, report, comment..not blindly advocate or criticize.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I felt the same way but I've been told in so many words to keep my mouth shut. :blink:

Let me say that it wasn't Rosie that prompted me to say I've been told to keep my mouth shut but egullet policy says I'm not allowed to comment on policy by management. Can anyone say censorship?

Please don't delete. I've been PM'd by many people and really want to comment but have been told not to. I hope I haven't broke the rules. A side note, if egullet would like to hear restaurant owners commenting, perhaps a little leverage should be allowed for those of us brave enough to comment on bad experiences had our places. Otherwise I'd say most of us will go underground and not respond. Henceforth, you'll all have a one-sided discussion without feedback from the people that run the place that you dine.

I think you all want to here why we do what we do and why. Also, it's gives us a chance to make up for our mistakes. Let me say I don't know the F&P and have never dined there.

Lou, you rock and of course it isn't Rosie, a blind man could see that. Talk about a quick bite.  :biggrin:

Enough of this , Pull up An American Grill to the postings.

Just messing with you. I just blew the under on the BCS game. :shock:

I have to comment I love Lreda's "tag" LOL it tickles me pink. Mine is a bit strange but some folks will get it...

P.S. I'm glad they remedied the situation... There are not many "great tasting" places in central jersey and my experience there years ago was nice, as I mentioned.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Monty Python, I'm a sick bastard.

Do you all want to lose me?........... I have a day off tomorrow. I'm off to NYC, or maybe Frog & Peach. Sorry Betsy, I will make it there in the next couple of weeks, not that my opinion counts for much. Egullet seems too serious sometimes.

Good night.

Edited by Lreda (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I don't get flamed as this is coming from a newbie. But, I didn't enjoy my last meal at F & P about a year ago. During the 90's I had lived in the New Brunswick area and had frequented F & P and Stage Left on countless occassions. Both were in top form at that time and probably two of the very best restaurants in the state. Having been unable to obtain a last minute reservation at Nicholas for a wedding anniversary dinner, my wife and I decided to try F & P having not been there in a number of years. While I can't recall specifics about the meal (except for a disappointing crab appetizer that sounded better than it was), I do recall not being impressed with it or the service. I also recall leaving the restaurant thinking that I would have been better suited dining at Nicholas for the money. Just my two cents.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

• 3 months later...

I had a wonderful lunch at Frog and the Peach recently. If the weather is nice sit on the patio, as it is so delightful there.

Started off with a roasted tomato soup. Be forewarned that this is a large bowl—not a cup of soup. I had half and my dining companion finished it.

I had an extremely tasty app for my entrée of tuna sashimi, with cucumber salad, lemongrass broth and tobiko. My friend had a “must try” of seared sea scallops, sesame peanut noodle sushi, and pickled vegetable salad with a miso vinaigrette. The scallops were huge, extremely fresh and this is what I will order the next time. The crispy rolls and herbed butter served with our lunch were addictive.

We shared a rhubarb/strawberry strudel for dessert. The restaurant also offers a three course prix fixe lunch with selections changing weekly for $19.95. If you are in the New Brunswick area I can highly recommend this restaurant for lunch or dinner. Phone: 732-846-3216.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

The restaurant also offers a three course prix fixe lunch with selections changing weekly for $19.95.

We have done many of the $19.95 lunches and have never had a loser. They are not posted on the restaurant's website, but if you are on their e-mail list, you will receive the menu each week. (Well, most weeks since they sometimes neglect to send them.) Here's this week's:

Baby Spinach Salad

with Red Currant Vinaigrette and Toasted Almonds

Pan Roasted Lamb Sirloin

with Artichokes, Roasted Bell Peppers, Zucchini, Israeli Cous Cous and Vincotto Lamb Jus

Frozen Lemon Soufflé

with Honey Tuile and Blackberry Sauce

Edited by rozrapp (log)