• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BC Wine

paul mitchell

Always good wines coming out of SR.  ...

I particularly like their latest release - Yma Sumac.

"Like the ridge of a record - this delicate white spins on and on and on...

recalling the lost Indian love call of harvest-time." :biggrin:

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Memo

is this what they put on their label?!

if so, i'm boycotting. i don't care how good the wine may be.

jamie, did you write that?

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Yma Sumac (possibly born September 10, 1922), also earlier spelled Ymma Sumak or Imma Sumack is a noted vocalist of Peruvian origin. In the 1950s she was one of the most famous proponents of exotica music. She is remembered chiefly for her amazing voice, which at the time, covered a range of four octaves. She is (with some controversy) credited with singing the highest note recorded by the female voice (surpassing Erna Sack) in the track "Chuncho" in one of her LPs (Inca Taqui 1953).

From Wikipedia

Cheers,

Anne

Yma Sumac (possibly born September 10, 1922), also earlier spelled Ymma Sumak or Imma Sumack is a noted vocalist of Peruvian origin. In the 1950s she was one of the most famous proponents of exotica music. She is remembered chiefly for her amazing voice, which at the time, covered a range of four octaves. She is (with some controversy) credited with singing the highest note recorded by the female voice (surpassing Erna Sack) in the track "Chuncho" in one of her LPs (Inca Taqui 1953).

From Wikipedia

once again i look stupid.

a message to all you smartypants egulleters out there: sarcasm is the lowest form of humour, and i don't appreciate it.

boycotts are exhausting though, so i'm happy 'bout that.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Always good wines coming out of SR.  ...

I particularly like their latest release - Yma Sumac.

Memo

The Port, I mean Pipe is always very good. Not something one wants to have more than a glass or two though at the end of the evening.

officially left egullet....

• 1 month later...

It looks like the Wine Spectator reviewed the 2003 Osoyoos Larose - I have one bottle on the advice of another. The 86 points appears to be a very respectable score. I was stunned to see the production on this wine at close to 10,000 cases since I always had the impression it was a small production wine, although after coming back from my vacation down in the south I did see the wine at a retail store in St. Augustine FL which I now can understand. Would be curious as to others views on where the Osoyoos Larose would fit in with other 2003 BC reds?

I second the Joie Noble Blend - Alsace at half the price. I was somewhat less impressed with Rose, but the Noble Blend is a treasure.

Just wondering if you could point me to an Alsace producer that you can purchase at the BCLDB that makes a wine that is of the similar blended style of the Joie Noble Blend so that I can compare the two as a few seem to really like this wine?

I am not aware of any Alsace producers that come through the LCBO here making such a blend of Gewürztraminer, Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Kerner, Muscat, Pinot Auxerrois and Ehernfelser as most Alsace producers I am aware of tend to stick with single varieties. The only wine that I can think of that is blended and that I can get is the "Zind" named wine from Domaine Zind-Humbrecht which currently is 50% Auxerrois and 15% Pinot Blanc with the remainder being Chardonnay - reasons for the name are due to the fact that it contains Chardonnay which is a no no in Alsace unless it is bubbly (so technically I recall it is table wine with no classification - can not recall the specific legal details from my visit at the winery a few years back).

I do not think drinking the Joie against the "Zind" would be fair. Advice that you can provide is much appreciated as it appears that you have tried one such wine to make the comparison of the Joie to a similar one in Alsace only lower in price? I could be wrong though.

Edited by mkjr (log)

Just wondering if you could point me to an Alsace producer that you can purchase at the BCLDB that makes a wine that is of the similar blended style of the Joie Noble Blend so that I can compare the two as a few seem to really like this wine?

Hugel Gentil, CSPC#367284 $16.95, not the exact same cuvee but similar style and philosophy.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Hugel Gentil, CSPC#367284 $16.95, not the exact same cuvee but similar style and philosophy.

Thanks. I shall pick up a bottle and try it next time I am back in Vancouver to compare. The LCBO had the Hugel (a little cheaper at $14.95) but the 2003 seems to be out of stock right now.

yes, this is the only one the BCLDB carries that I'm familiar with - If you get the chance to shop outside reaches of the BCLDB other look for (albethem not identical in blend - they're of the same style) Boxler and Dirler. I had the Boxler last week on a trip to San Francisco and it was awesome.

yes, this is the only one the BCLDB carries that I'm familiar with - If you get the chance to shop outside reaches of the BCLDB other look for (albethem not identical in blend - they're of the same style) Boxler and Dirler. I had the Boxler last week on a trip to San Francisco and it was awesome.

Thanks. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I buy pretty much all my wine in Vancouver from Marquis in Vancouver. I think I only said BCLDB since I know what Marquis gets. This is very good to know also. I know they just got a whack load of Albert Mann wines and they may get some of the traditional blends they make so that I can compare with the Joie.

(Note: Never seen Boxler in Ontario or Quebec and did not get to Niedermorschwihr when I was in Alsace - and to think I was soo close when in Colmar).

Thanks. I shall pick up a bottle and try it next time I am back in Vancouver to compare. The LCBO had the Hugel (a little cheaper at $14.95) but the 2003 seems to be out of stock right now.

Or try this one:

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/products/604413

ALSACE ONE - PIERRE SPARR 03

SKU #604413 / UPC #03263530020017

Price: $18.99

Volume: 750 mL

Alcohol: 12.5 %

Sweetness: 00

Locality: Alsace

It's made from Riesling, Gewurztraminer, pinot blanc, pinot gris and muscat.

Can anyone recommend a white Moscato?

I guess there's no taker on my question.

Is there a low alcohol white wine from the LDB that anyone can suggest? I thought there may be one within a 6% alcohol content.

Suggestions for both inquiries would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

The BCLDB lists five different Moscatos (and one grappa di Moscato); AFAIK they're all white...I have tried the frizzante one, it's pleasant enough, and the Batasiolo I know I've had in restaurants as well.

I'm no big moscato maven, so I can't recommend one per se.

The liquor content seems to range from 5.5% to 7%.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

"Is there a low alcohol white wine from the LDB that anyone can suggest? I thought there may be one within a 6% alcohol content. "

Maybe not as low as 6, but there are some bloody lovely Rieslings out there for under 17CDN that ROCK at 10percent or under.

Balthazaar Ress Reingau Riesling

Dr. L

Selbach's 2003 offering and even Lindeman's Riesling is good drink.

• 4 months later...
Ding, Ding, Ding.. Houston we have a winner

Loving:

La Frenz Viognier

Joie Noble Blend

Laughing Stock Portfolio

:biggrin:

I second the Joie Noble Blend - Alsace at half the price. I was somewhat less impressed with Rose, but the Noble Blend is a treasure.

I came across this thread on the most current release of the Joie Noble Blend tasted blind with a group of other Alsacian wines. I had not yet got back to Vancouver to try some although I think given this note I may pass on the Joie despite reviews - the Joie seems very diluted - oh well I guess tastes are subjective but having some of the others that were tasted I can calibrate my taste with the other notes. http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?t=103732 Its worth noting that the 2004 Alsace wines are coming into Ontario at very good prices and for $25.95 one can get a bottle of the 2004 Zind Humbrecht Gewurtztraminer which was outstanding with my Turkey over the weekend. For that price, I suspect I would pass on most similar types of BC (and for that matter Ontario) whites. Just my 2 cents. I do not think that 04s from Zind Humbrecht have made their way to the BCLDB or Marquis as of yet.

Ding, Ding, Ding.. Houston we have a winner

Loving:

La Frenz Viognier

Joie Noble Blend

Laughing Stock Portfolio

:biggrin:

I liked the Joie Rose. They had it at Saveur, if I recall correctly, a very pleasant little French place that took over the old Piccolo Mondo site.

I  came across this thread on the most current release of the Joie Noble Blend tasted blind with a group of other Alsacian wines.  I had not yet got back to Vancouver to try some although I think given this note I may pass on the Joie despite reviews - the Joie seems very diluted - oh well I guess tastes are subjective but having some of the others that were tasted I can calibrate my taste with the other notes.  http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?t=103732  Its worth noting that the 2004 Alsace wines are coming into Ontario at very good prices and for $25.95 one can get a bottle of the 2004 Zind Humbrecht Gewurtztraminer which was outstanding with my Turkey over the weekend.  For that price, I suspect I would pass on most similar types of BC (and for that matter Ontario) whites.  Just my 2 cents.  I do not think that 04s from Zind Humbrecht have made their way to the BCLDB or Marquis as of yet.

As far as I know, Alsatian blends, or Edelzwickers, are all relatively light, simple wines that are not in the same league as the Reislings and Gewurtztraminers. Like this:

While its name literally means noble blend, most Edelzwickers are dry, light, simple wines that are best drunk young.

Taken from here World Wide Wine

The only Alsatian blend available locally that I can think of offhand is the Hugel Gentil which retails for about $17 or $18. That would probably be a better comparison with the Joie Noble Blend.

I was at that dinner by the way, and to be fair the Joie was served too cold and it should have been served at the beginning of the meal not the end. It is a light fruity floral wine, it didn't have a chance next to the Zind Riesling.

Cheers,

Anne

I  came across this thread on the most current release of the Joie Noble Blend tasted blind with a group of other Alsacian wines.  I had not yet got back to Vancouver to try some although I think given this note I may pass on the Joie despite reviews - the Joie seems very diluted - oh well I guess tastes are subjective but having some of the others that were tasted I can calibrate my taste with the other notes.  http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?t=103732  Its worth noting that the 2004 Alsace wines are coming into Ontario at very good prices and for $25.95 one can get a bottle of the 2004 Zind Humbrecht Gewurtztraminer which was outstanding with my Turkey over the weekend.  For that price, I suspect I would pass on most similar types of BC (and for that matter Ontario) whites.  Just my 2 cents.  I do not think that 04s from Zind Humbrecht have made their way to the BCLDB or Marquis as of yet.

As far as I know, Alsatian blends, or Edelzwickers, are all relatively light, simple wines that are not in the same league as the Reislings and Gewurtztraminers. Like this:

While its name literally means noble blend, most Edelzwickers are dry, light, simple wines that are best drunk young.

Taken from here World Wide Wine

The only Alsatian blend available locally that I can think of offhand is the Hugel Gentil which retails for about $17 or $18. That would probably be a better comparison with the Joie Noble Blend.

I was at that dinner by the way, and to be fair the Joie was served too cold and it should have been served at the beginning of the meal not the end. It is a light fruity floral wine, it didn't have a chance next to the Zind Riesling.

I think that if you look up the thread one noted the Hugel wine already. But thanks again. I think I will pass on both if that is the style since its not one that I am looking for.

• 3 months later...

Did anyone read Jancis Robinson on Canadian wine in the Financial Times: Canadian Wine? Accept with curiosity

She's been widely quoted in the Canadian press, here's a few gems:

In my experience no nation is more defensive about their wines than the Canadians, perhaps because they have so little vineyard, less than, say, Slovenia or Japan.

……

... this is partly because Canadians tend to be fed stories which rather overstate Canadian wine's place in the world of wine. Every time a Canadian wine achieves anything outside Canada, this is made the subject of a major news story, and the Canadian wine industry seems to delight in perpetuating similarly flattering propositions.

B.C. wines that she thought were superior are: Sumac Ridge White Meritage 2003, Wild Goose Mystic River Vineyard Gewurztraminer 2005, Mission Hill Oculus 2004, Osoyoos Larose 2004 and Tantalus Vineyards Riesling 2005.

Cheers,

Anne

I have not seen the JR interview as of yet, nor will I seek it out, although I do not think JR's views come as a surprise given the year after year wine award comments made with respect to Canadian wines in Decanter by several of her colleques although JR's comments are more possitive than her collegues.

Edited by mkjr (log)

Thank you for the link Barolo.

I do not disagree with her in some respects. There is no question that the Canadian wine industry have some good PR flaks. If for example Mission Hill wins a Chardonnay competition it certainly does get reported. No question the Canadian wine industry does "trumpet" these successes.

But does anyone take the vast majority of these competitions seriously? I sure do not. It is like being impressed by yet another bottle from OZ which is has more medals from winning competitions that a Soviet war veteran.

Mind you competitions may be like the way recommendations from Wine Spectator are dealt with. Many reps and merchants "slag" the "Wine Dictator" but if one of their wines is mentioned in WS they let you know.

I am not sure that she is correct is using such broad brush strokes in describing purported Canadian defensiveness. I think in large part Canadians are reticent to shill Cdn products and are reticent..understandably...to pay the increasingly higher prices being sought and apparently paid for the better bottles when there is so much competition from offshore.

There may be persons in the industry who overstate Canada's importance in the world of wine but I have not met many members of the general public who do.

I do agree about the complaint relating to Product of Canada, Bottled in Canada. There should be better labels to make it clear that this is foreign plonk. Mind you I don't buy that wine and do not know many, if any people who try to buy Canadian who do.