• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Herbfarm

Well, we had another incredible dinner at The Herbfarm last night and fortunately they provide a copy of the menu, wines pours, even coffees/tears offered.

I'd be happy to share all the the above if anyone is interested...just not sure if it's been done already. Just let me know.

We had a pretty thorough throw-down about the Herbfarm on this thread a while back. Much of the criticism revolved around their draconian cacellation policy and whether or not it was really an exceptional enough restaurant to justify it.

I've eaten there twice and really enjoy the food, but could do without much of the rest of it.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The evening's theme was Truffle Treasure

Tastes of Truffles:

Alaska Spot Prawns with Oregon White Truffle & Celery Salad

Oregon White Truffle and Potato Tart

Oregon White Truffle and Salify Soup

1998 Domaine Meriwether Brut, Civee Wm Clark

Celery Root Ravioli

With White Truffle and Chervil Buter ***FANTASTIC !!

2001 L'Ecole No 41 Semillon, Fries Vineyard

Dungeness Crab Cake

with Braised Leeks, Pea Sprouts

and Frothy Sea Urchin0Saffron Sauce ****Again FANTASTIC !!

2002 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling, Cold Creek Vineyard

Seared Artisan Duck Foie Gras

with Parsley-Bloomsdale Spinach Saute'

Lentil Strudel and Black Truffle Sauce

2001 L'Herbe Sauvage pinot Noir, Balcombe-Shea Cuvee

Douglas Fir Sorbet ( I swear it smelled like a Christmas tree but was SO good)

Grilled Truffled Squab ***Even MORE FANTASTIC

with Golden Beets, Savoy Cabbage, and Potato Tart

2000 Andrew Will Merlot, Seven Hills Vineyard

Asian Pear & Hazelnut Salad

with Point Reyes Blue Cheese

Festival of Chocolate Desserts

Chocolate Chip & Cognac Souffle'

with Bay Custard Sauce

Tart Cherry, Port and Sage Ice Cream on Warm Chocolate Cake

Chocolate Sorbet and Hazelnut Orange-Thyme Mousse

in a Brandy Snap

Brewed Coffees, Teas & Infusions

A Selection of Small Treats (if you could possible want more!)

Vintage 1916 Barbeito Malvazia Madeira (what a treat!)

OK, so I love this place. Yeah, the dog and pony show would get old very fast if we ate there on a regular basis basis, but given the cost of the meal and overnight at the Willows Lodge it's more of a special occassion restaurant for us.

Since i've been to the Herb Farm several times, the only thing i'd say is i'd feel sorry for anyone who made a reservation months ago that wasn't fond of truffeles.

Personally I was impressed with the way that the White Truffles were utilized as it wasn't the most effective way of applying their nuances.

Were the Truffles American or imported from Europe. Did they charge a Premium for this Special Menu ?

Since you made it a overnight special occasion did you consider that it would have been about the same cost if you'd decided to spend the night in Napa and have dinner at the French Laundry or any Bay Area, Las Vegas or Vancover, LA Restaurant including the air fare.

Glad you enjoyed the experience and hope it made your special occassion extra special.

Irwin :biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

The flavors throughout the meal were so subtle and well-balanced that I don't think you'd have to be a truffle lover to enjoy the evening.

As I recall all the truffles were local as well as the herbs, wines...as you been there before I'm sure you're aware that they emphasize local products.

I put the evening in the category of "expensive but worth it"...same as I would say about French Laundry, Le Cirque (Las Vegas, not NY) Jean George or Charlie Trotters.

It's obviously not for everyone but I think it's a very special place.

No there was not a premium charge for this menu..and anyone who made their reservations months in advance would have seen the Truffle Treasure theme listed online or in their brochure.

Given their cancellation policy I try NOT to reserve too far in advance anyway.

The French Laundry is closed right now anyway.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Since you made it a overnight special occasion did you consider that it would have been about the same cost if you'd decided to spend the night in Napa and have dinner at the French Laundry or any Bay Area, Las Vegas or Vancover, LA Restaurant including the air fare.

Irwin: Not according to my math...LOL

Dinner with tax, tip came to $461 and the hotel room just under $200 with tax.

Unless I had a very lucky night at the blackjack table an flight to LV, room at Bellagio (hey what can I say, that's my favorite) and dinner for two at Le Cirque, Bradley Ogden, etc. would bring the tab well over $1000.

An evening in Woodinville is a great treat...special occassion or not. But, for us it was a splendid way to celebrate our anniversary.

Ms Ramsey...Yes I also know about French Laundry being closed at present. Wow, that was the place for some exquisite meals.

I understand it is temporary.

Hence the wording "right now."

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Does the herbfarm still have no option for non-drinkers?

At over $150 per person, I just can't bring myself to pay the premium for wine that I won't drink. That'd be the most expensive meal I'd ever purchased, and I've eaten at Charlie Trotter's, The Inn at Little Washington, and French Laundry.

Do they nail you with a service charge, too?

As my husband and I enjoy wine with dinner I've never asked about their policy for non-drinkers.

I wouldn't say they "nail on a service charge" as we would leave an 18% gratuity anyway...the service being excellent.

On Saturday night the dinner was $179 per person + tax & gratuity. I think the total came to $461.00.

The website states that there are "non-alcoholic" options available as well.

edit: I just called them and was informed that they have "herbally infused beverages" that are matched to each course with the same care in selection as the wines and progress nicely with each course. It was also mentioned that some customers actually prefer the taste of these to the wine.

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

I really don't like service charges. I think it's always "nailing you" because it's contrary to the point of gratuities, that they should encourage good service by being optional. (And mind you, my mom was a waitress for 20+ years and would probably say the same thing.)

I really don't like to drink anything but water with a meal except in very rare circumstances, like cookies and milk.

I really can't imagine going to the Herbfarm anytime soon. There are just too many other seemingly better values in the same or higher league. Gary Danko in SF, eg, is only $75 for their Chef's menu. Masa's had, I think, a 16 course menu for $125. Trio's Tour de Force menu with something like 22 extremely unique courses is about the same price, I think.

Seems fair if you're a wine drinker, but it won't make my priority list any time soon.

EDIT: And the "dog and pony" show would certainly detract from my experience.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

Well, we had another incredible dinner at The Herbfarm last night and fortunately they provide a copy of the menu, wines pours, even coffees/tears offered.

I'd be happy to share all the the above if anyone is interested...just not sure if it's been done already.  Just let me know.

I'll be darned. My wife and I were there the night before you to celebrate my birthday. We were at the European table, and the night was also noteworthy for about half the restaurant being empty. Excellent menu, and we were both particularly fond of the duck foie gras and the squab. I wish I could get the recipe for the black truffle sauce served with both the foie gras and the squab.

We also stayed at Willows Lodge on Friday and Saturday night, and ate Saturday night at the Barking Frog. I had the duck while my wife had the scallops; very good but certainly not to the level of the Herbfarm. This was the second time we had been to the Herbfarm in six months.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Masa's had, I think, a 16 course menu for $125.  Trio's Tour de Force menu with something like 22 extremely unique courses is about the same price, I think.

The TdF is $175. Wine pairings $95.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I feel sorry for anyone who lets the dog & pony show at the Herbfarm keep them away.

When/if I go back to Herbfarm, my plan is to sneak out during the D&P show and go for a walk. I've seen others do it.

I think its generally a mistake to compare the 'farm with any urban dining destination. It's simply a different kettle of fish, so to speak. Their whole aesethetic is affected by their self-image, which is definitively not urban. A more apt comparison might be a place like The Inn at Little Washington, although I've never been.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

The D&P Show (introductions of chef/staff/history of the restaurant) is brief and something I enjoyed on my first visit. Do I want to hear it every time?...no, but we're talking about a very short interlude between courses.....also time enough to use the ladies/men's room or just stretch your legs.

I've been to the Inn at Little Washington and (in my opinion) and it's a bit more formal and restrained. Dinner was excellent and the dining room is beautiful.

One similarity is the fact that both restaurants are in out-of-the-way locations and make for great overnight excursions.

I realize Herbfarm is fairly close to Seattle but after eating and drinking for 4 1/2 hours it's nice to just walk across the parkway to a lovely hotel room.

The D&P Show (introductions of chef/staff/history of the restaurant) is brief...

Approximately how long was it on the night you were there? When I've gone, it's taken as much as 30 or 40 minutes. If they've pared it down significantly, that would be a positive step.