• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halutza Olive Oil

Near kibbutz Revivim in the Negev desert, in the south of Israel, there is a slightly salted subterranean reservoir. This is thesource of the water for Halutza's olive trees . For the last 2 years many Israelis, some top chefs, and myself are using it . There are some verities I prefer "Suri", "Barnea", and just got my first shipment of "Pikual".

I can highly recommend it. I was told that it can be found in Zabar's, Balduchi's and Dean & Deluca. It will be shortly presented in Israfood, food expo in LA.

Haym Cohen of the late Keren restaurant in Tel Aviv is about to open his NYC place, Taboon, (kind of Middle Eastern), 52 St. & 10th Av. where he will use Halutza Olive Oil. The opening is expected every day.

http://www.halutza.co.il/english/index.html

Please report back.

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

Todah, Rabah,

I am soooo interested in Israeli olive oil and promoting it. when i lived in the galilee a million years ago we had wonderful olive trees and made beautiful oil. every so often i come upon excellent israeli olive oil but have a hard time finding it in england or usa.

as a food writer and broadcaster, i could like to at some point, organize a press trip to israel, to introduce food writers from abroad to the excellence of so many israeli products and ideas: the olive oil and fabulous cheeses, such as feta (which is sold and adored in california). if you know of anyone who can help out, let me know. otherwise, i'll just keep my eyes open and one of these days it will happen.

i'll definately check out Taboon in new york, as i go through there every couple of months. could you email me and let me know when they DO open?

do you know murray's felafel on 1st and about 16th? i think he makes super zchug, and his felafel is very good too, and his soup.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Yes, I'm familiar with Harisa, by that name. Thanks, boaziko.

Pan, you can find zhug at some of the kosher stores. I think Fairway also carries it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Zhug, in contrast to all the harisa I have tried, can be green as well as red. The green color and distinctive taste comes from the addition of coriander to the pepper, garlic, oil mixture. I don't have any red shug -- pronounced s-hug -- handy, but I think that has coriander as well, but not as much. One supplier is Sabra Salads: www.sabrasalads.com

I often see their products in kosher markets so it should be widely available in NYC.

I often add it to hummus and as a condiment with falafel.