• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacksonville recommendation

Kareen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kareen! Check out this thread: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=32857 We really got into some of the good possibilities. Amelia Island is probably about a half hour away from Jacksonville, just so you know! There are a ton of restaurants in Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach, though unfortunately, I can only recommend the Irish Pub in that area O'Kane's :biggrin:

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

You can no doubt get better advice from a local (try Bookstore Bill in the book store on Centre Street; he likes to talk about restaurants), but here's a start.

There are quite a few good restaurants in Fernandina (about a 15 min drive from the Plantation). Beech Street Grill (www.beechstreetgrill.com) has long been considered the best all around. Slightly more formal is Horizon's. Both are good choices for local seafood that is not simply breaded and fried (not that there's anything wrong with that). Both have a good wine list and professional wait staff. I would call Beech Street bistro food, while at Horizon's they fuss over the sauce. For the just plain seafood crowd, the Golden Grouper does a nice job.

If money is no object, the Ritz Carlton on Amelia has a great restaurant. It's even closer than Fernandina. Lots of game and, of course, seafood. Unless the policy has changed, coat and tie required, which is unusual for the coast.

If you're up for a drive, Myra Jean's is hidden on a river near Ponte Vedra. It'll probably take 45 min to get there (you take A1A South, using the ferry to cross over at Mayport). The drive is interesting and goes fast. Myra Jean's has some of the best crab cakes ever, served with (surprisingly) traditional Southern vegetables. It’s extremely casual. If you’re looking in a phone book, make sure you’re looking in Ponte Vedra, not Jacksonville or Fernandina.

As for carousing, I would second the above-recommended O’Kanes. Not to be missed is The Palace, which claims to be Florida’s oldest bar and has the layers of stickiness to prove it. For an interesting mix of locals and tourists, check out Slider’s about half way between the Plantation and Fernandina. Go late and be prepared for a dive.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

I should also add that the food at the Plantation is for the most part institutional in character, although the cheeseburgers served poolside by the main beach club are excellent.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

I'm going to Jacksonville for the first time in February at the Amelia Plantation Resort.  Can someone suggest me a good place to eat?

Kareen

Will you be in Jacksonville proper (as opposed to Amelia Island) for any reason during the day - shopping - business - whatever? There are some nice lunch places or places for an early dinner I can recommend. Keep in mind that it's at least a half hour drive - maybe 45 minutes - from Amelia to any part of Jacksonville where there are restaurants you'd care to eat at - and you'll be driving dark 2 lane roads over lots of bridges.

Best eating on Amelia is at the Ritz Carlton - it has 2 restaurants - 1 formal big deal - 1 relatively casual. It will be hard to do better than either of those restaurants for dinner in Jacksonville (was just up there for lunch a couple of weeks ago). But you could get close.

I agree that the food at the Plantation is pretty institutional. OK for lunch. That's about it. The Beech Street Grille in Fernandina is highly touted - but I've never eaten there.

The restaurant in Ponte Vedra that was mentioned was Barbara Jean's. It has a branch on Amelia Island. Look it up. I live in Ponte Vedra about 6 miles north of Barbara Jean's. It's about an hour or so from my house to the Plantation on Amelia - add 10 minutes for Barbara Jean's here - and there's no reason to come here if there's one there. It is a basic crab cake southern veggie place. Cheap and popular (because it is cheap). Certainly not a destination restaurant - but ok for a night you want to do simple. Robyn

Will you be in Jacksonville proper (as opposed to Amelia Island) for any reason during the day - shopping - business - whatever? There are some nice lunch places or places for an early dinner I can recommend. Keep in mind that it's at least a half hour drive - maybe 45 minutes - from Amelia to any part of Jacksonville where there are restaurants you'd care to eat at - and you'll be driving dark 2 lane roads over lots of bridges.

Actualy, thanks for the heads up, I'm going to spend the whole time on the island, it's really a golfing trip, nothing else, and because I'm going to try to play a couple of rounds a day, a long drive won't be in the cards.

Thanks for the infos, we'll make sure to report back...

Kareen

Just a word on Beech Street in Fernandina- I ate there last year and a giant roach ran across the table. Oh, and the food wasn't too good either. If you want to make the drive north to Kingsland, GA, eat at Aunt B's- really good southern food lunch buffet.

Actualy, thanks for the heads up, I'm going to spend the whole time on the island, it's really a golfing trip, nothing else, and because I'm going to try to play a couple of rounds a day, a long drive won't be in the cards.

Thanks for the infos, we'll make sure to report back...

Kareen

Couple of rounds a day? Sounds like you'll need spa suggestions too :smile: .

If you need a few hours off - and don't like "cute" stores - you might spend a couple of hours at the Jacksonville zoo (perhaps 30 minutes away). It is not a "world class" zoo (I'm a zoo fan) - but it's worth a trip if you like zoos. It is down the road from the Budweiser plant (tours and tastings).

If you have a condo type arrangement - you can stock up at the Harris Teeter - just down the road from the Plantation (there's a "gourmet store" at the Plantation - but I'd just go to Harris Teeter).

If you do get to the casual restaurant at the Ritz Carlton - try the Chef's special "bento box" of the day (it's a lunch item - might be a dinner item too). When I was there in December - it was kind of Asian/Southern fusion Christmas :smile: . Sounds strange - but it was delicious. It is the dish where the chef experiments - so no guarantees.

Have a great trip. Remember that we can get some pretty cold damp dismal weather in February - as well as temps in the 70's-80's. Norm is mornings in the 30-40's - going up to 50's-70's in the afternoon. So bring lots of layers. Also some water balls (I seem to remember some pretty awful holes on the courses at Amelia Island). Robyn