• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My first risotto.

majkeli

I'm attempting my first risotto tonight. I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to get around to it. Too many other great things to try I guess.

I'm thinking to make it with shallots, some Bolla chardonnay, smoked turkey stock from my Christmas bird, and parmesan cheese. I'll serve it with smoked pork chops, a veg, and the rest of the wine.

Does that sound like a good combo? Is there anything that could make this menu better?

Thanks.

Soup is good food.

I'm thinking to make it with shallots, some Bolla chardonnay, smoked turkey stock from my Christmas bird, and parmesan cheese.  I'll serve it with smoked pork chops, a veg, and the rest of the wine.

What time is supper? I can be there in about 15 minutes :laugh:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I'm attempting my first risotto tonight. I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to get around to it. Too many other great things to try I guess.

I'm thinking to make it with shallots, some Bolla chardonnay, smoked turkey stock from my Christmas bird, and parmesan cheese. I'll serve it with smoked pork chops, a veg, and the rest of the wine.

Does that sound like a good combo? Is there anything that could make this menu better?

Thanks.

Sounds really good. :smile:

Maybe some wild mushrooms added to the risotto would help.

Enjoy!

That's too funny--I made my first risotto last night. It was extremely simple though, because I was working with what I already had in the house. I took my risotto milanese recipe from my JWU cookbook and halfed it so it would be 5 servings instead of 10.

I was going to add some linguica and shredded chicken breast to the risotto, so I thought it might be nice to sear the linguica first and use the oil to coat the rice. (10 oz. arborio) So I did that, and then added I think a quart of chicken stock, which I had simmered a raw chicken breast in until it was cooked through. I cooked that on med. low heat until the stock was absorbed, then I added about another quart of stock, a splash at a time, stirring until it was absorbed and the rice was al dente. Then I added about 4 oz. stock and stirred quickly. Then I stirred in like 3T butter, 3T parm cheese, and stirred in the linguica and chicken shreds and heated them through. It came out pretty well but I think it would have been better had I sauteed some onions first, and had some fresh parsley.

I don't think the linguica-flavored oil made a noticeable difference.

It was outstanding. :biggrin: I did go out and get some wild mushrooms and they really added to the dish, thank you for the tip. The smoked turkey stock worked great, it's definately something I'll try again. Risotto is going to be a standard around here for now on.

The truffle oil sounds like a nice addition too. I'll try that next time.

Soup is good food.