• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Palette

The website promises BIG BIG BIG stuff from that restaurant. Levels of culinary excellence and dining excitement never before seen in D.C. Nothing short of a revolution in dining.

Not to mention that the attractive brunette in the picture perfectly fits the desired D.C. restaurant demographic. Chevy Chase type for sure. Lots of disposable income. Demure dress, but attractive in that non-threatening kind of way. Sticks to pricey French wines.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

The website promises BIG BIG BIG stuff from that restaurant. Levels of culinary excellence and dining excitement never before seen in D.C. Nothing short of a revolution in dining.

Not to mention that the attractive brunette in the picture perfectly fits the desired D.C. restaurant demographic. Chevy Chase type for sure. Lots of disposable income. Demure dress, but attractive in that non-threatening kind of way. Sticks to pricey French wines.

Then she better want to drink champers with all of her meals there...check out the description of the wine list.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Champagne is the only French wine they will have. The "concept" includes only wines from North and South America.

Mark

I just checked the drink list. Avacado Daquiri, anyone? It's avocado, Skyy vodka, lime juice, and simple syrup. I might go with tequila over vodka in that one, and skip the simple syrup, but you could certainly do worse. How about a White Peach--peach nectar, Stoli vanil, and Godiva white chocolate liqueur? Sounds like a drink aimed at twelve year olds.

Or, a Nectar--Pitu, apricot nectar, and fresh mint. Shouldn't that be the name of somebody else's signature drink?

Seriously, though, if the food lives up to the billing on the web site, this place is going to be stunning.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

The website promises BIG BIG BIG stuff from that restaurant.  Levels of culinary excellence and dining excitement never before seen in D.C.  Nothing short of a revolution in dining.

Not to mention that the attractive brunette in the picture perfectly fits the desired D.C. restaurant demographic.  Chevy Chase type for sure.  Lots of disposable income.  Demure dress, but attractive in that non-threatening kind of way.  Sticks to pricey French wines.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You just described my friend to a T.

Sounds like a good place to meet her "friends".

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were there a couple of days before the chef change was announced. I actually liked the food quite a lot, but agree that it wasn't right for the market.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I went today (yesterday now I guess-weds) for lunch and found out about the chef change. But since I've never been there before it didn't matter.

Escabeche of vegetables. Not a huge veggie-only fan (or salads for that matter) but loved this dish. nice crunchy vegetables in well seasoned but not tangy (ie vinegar) sauce.

Duck prosciutto, granny smith apples and frisee. I thought this would be more focused on the duck as an appetizer but it really was a salad. The tanginess of the carroway seed vinegarette and green apples overshadowed the delicate duck prosciutto but it was good anyways

Tuna, foie gras and portabello club sandwich. I would normally go for a non-sandwich entree, but this sounded good and it was.

I'd give it a green light for dinner.

• 1 month later...

The menu at Palette is now changed. I think the food is great. The focus is on food of the Americas and I think that they have really done a great job with the new menu. The stuff on there now is not only tasty but I know what it is also. You should check it out now for dinner. They make some of their own vodka flavors there too. I am pretty impressed with the overall menu and new chef. I heard about them having a wine pairing dinner on Monday the 20th. Sounds interesting, I think I'll try it out.

The menu at Palette is now changed. I think the food is great. The focus is on food of the Americas and I think that they have really done a great job with the new menu. The stuff on there now is not only tasty but I know what it is also. You should check it out now for dinner. They make some of their own vodka flavors there too. I am pretty impressed with the overall menu and new chef. I heard about them having a wine pairing dinner on Monday the 20th. Sounds interesting, I think I'll try it out.

Welcome poshpastries.

Are you connected to the restaurant in some way?

Sincerely yours,

Peter Poshpastries,

Publicist,

Palette Restaurant :wink:

Sincerely yours,

Peter Poshpastries,

Publicist,

Palette Restaurant :wink:

tsk, tsk tsk Rocks, are you always this cynical? :hmmm: