• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

duck legs in Toronto or slightly west?

plragde

Can anyone point me towards a source of duck legs with good quality-price tradeoff, in the GTA or as far west as Kitchener-Waterloo? Fresh if possible, frozen I can live with. I would like to try making my own duck confit at home. (Any sources of confit that doesn't cost an arm and a leg would also be appreciated.) Many thanks. --PR

Can you post some specific recommendations? I mean Chinese grocery stores in Mississauga in general. You don't have to know for sure if they carry duck legs. Just list a few that you would try if you were looking for it. Many thanks. --PR

• 1 month later...

Hi, I wondered what the outcome of this search was. I myself am now looking for duck legs, and I was told Whole Foods had them frozen, but wondered if there was a fresh source in the city, or if that is out of the question this time of year.

Thanks,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Duck legs are usually available frozen at Avenue Food Market, 185, Avenue Road (416-923-5815) or they will bring them in

fresh if you give them two days notice. They come from Quebec. Any tips on cooking them?

Eric.

I'll tell you how we do it at the restaurant where i work its a long cooking time but well worth it.First you should work with fresh ones for sure...then what we do is that we cut the end of the bone off so that the meat slides down it during the cooking then we trim slightly the fat just a little then we salt them meat side with coarse salt and press fresh rosemary crushed peppercorns smashed garlic clove and thyme on the meat side.let this "marinate for 4 hours rince them off. Then bring enough duck fat to cover them to 90 degrees celcius and cook them for 7 hours.

leave them in the duck fat after that taking them out only when needed...to serve them you need a thick bottom skillet and slowly roast them skin side only on slow heat not touching it at first to make sure you don t damage the skin....hey thats our way.....and it really is wonderful just like they do in bayonne!!!

Edited by bigorre (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Are you allowed to tell me where this restaurant is? It sounds marvellous. Also, I was WholeFoods

the other day and noticed that they carry duck legs in the frozen section. There are two per package

and they are labelled "Brome Lake" duck legs. I've no idea where Brome Lake is but it must be very

large to produce so many ducks.

Eric.

Brome Lake is in Quebec and the farm has been producing high quality duck since the turn of the century or thereabouts.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.