• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris restaurants with good value?

picaman

For the sake of expediency, I omitted mention of anything that was in the original list, even though it might continue to get good notices. That's certainly the case with Violon d'Ingres.

I've eaten there twice and will return on this trip. I always go at lunchtime for the current deal, and end up splurging for the full tasting menu anyway. It's wonderful, and certainly an outstanding value no matter how much you spend there.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Please comment on the list, feel free to add anything you think I've missed, and especially let me know what you think should rise to the top, or be deleted for whatever reason.

OK then--fire away!  Thanks in advance for your input.

Jamie

Wow Jamie, that's a pretty impressive list list. How long will you be in Paris for? Do you want people to give you the ten that they would choose or something along those lines?

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

How long will you be in Paris for?

I'll be in Paris for a week.

Do you want people to give you the ten that they would choose or something along those lines?

That's a great idea. How about everyone's top five, culled from both the old list and the new one? Or ten, if you just can't stop.

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

Les Papilles 30, rue Gay-Lussac - 75005 Paris - Tel : 01 43 25 20 79

La Ferrandaise 8, r Vaugirard 75006 Paris, France - 01 43 26 36 36

Maison du Jardin 27, rue de Vaugirard 75006 Paris 01 45 48 22 31

Sensing 19, rue Bréa, 75006, Paris,01 43 27 08 80

Ze Kitchen Galerie 4, rue des Grands Augustins Paris 6 Tel: 01 44 32 00 32

Les Anges 54 Boulevard de La Tour Maubourg Paris 7 Telephone: 01 47 05 89 86

Dominique Bouchet 11 rue Treillard, Paris 8 - 01 45 61 09 46

Astier 44 rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud, 75011 Phone: 01-43-57-16-35

La Cerisaie 70, bd Edgar Quinet, 75014 Paris - 01 43 20 98 98

Les Magnolias 48, avenue de Bry, Le Perreux-sur-Marne; (33-1) 48.72.47.43

Tough to pick 10 Jamie, but here they are

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Tough to pick 10 Jamie

Hey--no one said eating in Paris was easy :laugh::raz:

Thanks for the excellent feedback, John.

For what it's worth, I've eaten at two restaurants on these lists--Le Violon d'Ingres and Au C'Amelot, both of which I thought were excellent. I also ate at Clos des Gourmets (16, av Rapp 75007 01 45 51 75 61) which I liked quite a bit, enough to take home a jar of their incredibly good fennel preserves. So I can't get anywhere close to a list of 10, or even five.

Other favorite restaurants of mine (not on the lists, but I mentioned them earlier in the thread) are Au Petit Tonneau (20, Rue de Surcouf, 75007 01 47 05 09 01) and La Galoche d'Aurillac (41, Rue de Lappe, 75011 01 47 00 77 15).

Jamie

Edited by picaman (log)

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

I've also not been back to Carré des Feulliants in a few years. It has been two stars for so long that I suspect it will never get a third star. We though it was an exceptional meal at a very good price when we were there, but it's been a while. Since then, I've heard mixed views and read mixed views here on eGullet. Nevertheless, the most convincing comments were laudatory. I don't know that I've ever heard of a restaurant that's universally appreciated. Even people whose taste I respect have been know to disagree with mine. Even Robert Brown hated a restaurant I loved.

Someone recently recommended Carré des Feulliants to me. Couldn't find any recent reviews on eGullet. How is it for lunch? Other options I am considering are L'Arpége, L'Ambroisie and Les Ambassadeurs.

Any other 2-3 star lunch (or dinner) recommendations for a single traveler where I can secure a reservation for 1, 3 weeks out?

Cheers

Percy

Edited by percyn (log)

I went to Carré des Feulliants last April and I don't find anything very specials about the food right there. The place is modern and quite high tech i.e. with sliding doors, and the wine place's quite nice to see.

I found the service rather below average for Michelin 2-3* restaurants. The waiters tried hard to be nice, but it can be seen for the expressions that they're not naturally pleased to serve the guests. The price is rather reasonanble compare to its competitors, quality wise? I like it the least compare the 3 other I visited - L'Arpege (simply the best), ADPA (excellent, come closed to L'Arpege. could be a tie if not due to the sommelier ...) and Le Bristol (very good - similar to Ducasse except the food is one level below while the rests being pretty much equal).

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried Le Cinq recently?

I will be in Paris on a Friday evening and Saturday, and have reservations at L'Arpege (dinner) and Le Cinq (lunch). Most other places were either closed on a Saturday or booked up.

Not fror a year - Sorry.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just returned from 12 days in Paris/Burgundy/Jura, and, thanks to the advice from many here on eGullet, had some wonderful lunches and dinners. Thank you!

I'm curious about other recent experiences at L'Os a Moelle. We went there following advice from eGullet, friends and several books, and I have to admit that it was the least memorable meal. I was really surprised, because so many sources recommended it.

The six course menu sounded exciting at first, but when (finally!) the courses arrived, they were lacking something... and the cut of beef was even unappetizing. The service, although charming, was incredibly slow and confused. Our waitress would inevitably arrive with one plate we did not order, and so we would wait for several minutes for the other to arrive. This was happening at all the tables around us, too.

The only truly memorable item was the mousse au chocolat (which we did not order, but there was no other table to take it at the late hour, so we were left with the extra dessert!).

We thought perhaps the chef was out of town, but were surprised when he made an appearance at the end of the night.

What's going on? Was this really simply an off-night, or is L'Os a Moelle going downhill? Just curious...

Thanks, V.

I just returned from 12 days in Paris/Burgundy/Jura, and, thanks to the advice from many here on eGullet, had some wonderful lunches and dinners. Thank you!

I'm curious about other recent experiences at L'Os a Moelle. We went there following advice from eGullet, friends and several books, and I have to admit that it was the least memorable meal. I was really surprised, because so many sources recommended it.

It would be great if you'd tell us the other places you ate at.

Thanks.

John Talbott

In Paris (with my impressions, in brief):

Ambassade d'Auvergne - very nice

Le Grand Vefour (lunch) - just what one would expect, perfect

Le Dome (the seafood place in Montparnasse) - absolutely enjoyable, probably our most exciting meal in Paris this trip; would go back in a heart beat

Le P'tit Troquet - charming, simple, just what we were looking for at the time

Au Trou Gascon - it was nice, but I would not go back given so much else to explore in Paris

Aux Lyonnais - wonderful space, great service, loved the sommelier; straight forward bistro fare (good, but not terribly exciting)

there were so many more interesting suggestions on eGullet, I wish we would have had more time... we were there on one Sunday and two Mondays - poor planning on our part, so our selections were somewhat limited on those days.

We had some wonderful meals in Burgundy/Jura - the best at Jean Paul Jeunet in Arbois; not just the best meal this trip, but one of our best meals ever, I'd say; it was such a pleasure, the food, the people, everything.

thank you, John, and others who are active on the France forum - we benefited greatly from the wisdom you have shared, and now that we are back, I follow the forum daily with great nostalgia.

V.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Paris last weekend and had dinner at Alain Passard's L'Arpege and lunch at Le Cinq in the four seasons.

Both are 3 star restaurants, but I found Le Cinq to be a superior experience and quite reasonable for lunch.

A full report of both dining experiences can be found here.

Cheers

Percy

• 4 years later...

Going back to Paris January 7-15, and thought I'd revive my old thread with a bit of current research, and ask for suggestions. Here's the original outline of what we were looking for:

average cost per meal at dinner for two people, with maybe a kir to start, the prix fixe meal or entree + plat with one bottle of usually a house/fairly inexpensive wine, dessert then coffee is 100 euros-ish plus or minus 25 euros or so.

Let's generally stick to that price range and ignore the effect of inflation.

Here are some currently interesting places I've found researching here and elsewhere:

La Régalade Saint Honoré

123 Rue St Honoré

75001 Paris, France

01 42 21 92 40

Le Chateaubriand

129 av. Parmentier, 11e, Paris

01-43-57-45-95

Restaurant L'Agrume

15 Rue des Fossés Saint-Marcel

75005 Paris, France

01 43 31 86 48

L'Ami Louis

32 rue du Vertbois, 3e, Paris

01-48-87-77-48

La Cordonnerie

20, rue St.-Roch, Paris, 75001

At rue Saint-Honore

01-42-60-17-42

Le Gaigne

12 rue Pecquay, 4e, Paris, 75004

01-44-59-86-72

Ze Kitchen Galerie

4 rue des Grands-Augustins, 6e, Paris

01-44-32-00-32

Chez Grenouille

52 Rue Blanche

75009 Paris, France

01 42 81 34 07

Saturne

17 Rue Notre Dame des Victoires

75002 Paris, France

+33 1 42 60 31 90

L'Agape

51 Rue Jouffroy d'Abbans

75017 Paris, France

01 42 27 20 18

Le Mini-Palais

Grand Palais

Avenue Franklin Delano Roosevelt

75008 Paris, France

01 42 56 42 42

Le Concert de Cuisine

14 Rue Nélaton

75015 Paris, France

01 40 58 10 15

Chez Adrienne

37 Rue Arbre Sec

75001 Paris, France

01 42 60 15 78

Moustache

3 Rue Sainte-Beuve

75006 Paris, France

+33 1 42 22 56 65

Edit: forgot these two which looked interesting to my partner Kirk:

Chez Lena et Mimile

32 Rue Tournefort

75005 Paris, France

01 47 07 72 47

Le Bistro-T

17 bis, Rue Campagne Première

75014 Paris, France

+33 1 43 20 79 27

Please feel free to comment on these, add your own suggestions, or provide updates for any of the old original restaurants listed here (2004 list) and here (2006 list).

Many thanks in advance,

Jamie

Edited by picaman (log)

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite