• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer with sushi

john b

I'm planning a late night sushi snack tonight. Any suggestions for a good beer/sushi match?

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I'm planning a late night sushi snack tonight.  Any suggestions for a good beer/sushi match?

If I were eating sushi, I would try to find:

Stoudt's Pils

Victory Prima Pils

Straub's

Saranac Pilsner

Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale (my personal fave with seafood)

Brooklyn Pilsner

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'm planning a late night sushi snack tonight.  Any suggestions for a good beer/sushi match?

If I were eating sushi, I would try to find:

Stoudt's Pils

Victory Prima Pils

Staub's

Saranac Pilsner

Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale (my personal fave with seafood)

Brooklyn Pilsner

Great minds think alike. I was considering the Victory or Brooklyn.

In Garrett Oliver's book, he says that weissbier is a good match with sushi. I'll have to do a tasting with three or four different beers one of these days.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I'm planning a late night sushi snack tonight.

Am I sensing a short run down the road to Fuji, now that you've discovered the best sushi is practically in your backyard? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Be aware tha most 'Japanese' beer is now 'imported' from Canada and Kirin is imported from Los Angeles! I have to go to Mitsua to get actual Asahi 'SuperDry' in liter cans from Japan and even Saporro is now coming from Canada. -Dick

but apparently Kirin is made to the exact same standards in LA by Anheuser-Busch as it is in Japan by Kirin, to an anal retentive exactitude, right down to the classical music that is played in the factory to calm the yeast.

FWIW I like Kirin Ichiban a lot, its a solid japanese-style lager.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Be aware tha most 'Japanese' beer is now 'imported' from Canada and Kirin is imported from Los Angeles! I have to go to Mitsua to get actual Asahi 'SuperDry' in liter cans from Japan and even Saporro is now coming from Canada. -Dick

but apparently Kirin is made to the exact same standards in LA by Anheuser-Busch as it is in Japan by Kirin, to an anal retentive exactitude, right down to the classical music that is played in the factory to calm the yeast.

I find almost all Japanese beers undrinkable. It might just be me, but they just dont have the balance, the malt, or citrusy hops notes I want.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

For something different you could try Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale, a beer made with rice in an attempt to get sake-like flavors. Works well with Sushi, and better than the standard Japanese brews (and it is available in the US).

I find almost all Japanese beers undrinkable. It might just be me, but thye just dont have the balance, or citrusy hops notes I want.

That's because you get most likely only have had the crap that is being produced by the major 4 (Kirin, Asahi, Suntory and Sapporo). There are actually quite a few nice Japanese microbrews out there, my favourite is a beer called Yona-Yona that has a very refreshing taste and it works well with most Japanese foods. I have a personal boycot on the major 4, I plain refuse to drink it (OK, on occasion I will but it is rare).

I went to a microbrewery event in Japan last year, and there were some really nice beer there that I wish were available in the US. OK, it was not Belgium, but to judge Japan on the major four is like judging the US on Bud, MGD and Coors.

I'm planning a late night sushi snack tonight.

Am I sensing a short run down the road to Fuji, now that you've discovered the best sushi is practically in your backyard? :biggrin:

Of course! It's dangerously close. Now all I have to do is figure out what it is that I'm eating, other than the obvious tuna and salmon.

John

Well, the closest I could get to what I wanted (pils or weissbier) without driving to the store was Victory Whirlwind Wit, which was close enough.

John

Hi, John. I'm glad you let us know what you ended up drinking with the sushi. I was afraid you were going to leave me hanging in suspense. And so often it comes back to Victory, but of course! :wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Sapporo is now made in Guelph Ontario by Sleeman's.

Don't know if they play classical music when they make Sapporo, but I know from my younger days that Sleeman's Cream Ale goes very well with George Thorogood played very loud. :laugh:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Don't know if they play classical music when they make Sapporo, but I know from my younger days that Sleeman's Cream Ale goes very well with George Thorogood played very loud. :laugh:

But there are no bones in sushi.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

BBbbbBBBbad :raz:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

BBbbbBBBbad :raz:

Forgot to mention that Sleeman's also tastes good when preceded by bourbon and scotch, in that order. :cool:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Even though the anlytical testing says that the beer is the same, I'm afraid that testing cannot capture all the nuances. Many years ago while sitting at Kuni's in Evanstan, Illinois, after ordering an Asahi 'SuperDry', I remarked to my wife that it tasted different. I looked at the label, Imported from Canada.

Where in the Chicago area can I find a source for the Japanese micro brews other than the little they have at Mitsua? Thanks for any info. -Dick

• 3 weeks later...

I was an uchideshi (live in, direct disciple) to an aikido master. After hours of sustained training, when I thought I was going to sweat a lung, nothing, but nothing would marry sashimi as well as my favorite rice beer,

DAI Kirin Ichiban, KUDASAI!

Unlike most of the mega-brewers, there is a nice malt backdrop even though much of the mash bill is indeed rice. And slakes the meanest of thirsts.

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais