• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

AlaMoi

AlaMoi

steelhead is genetically a rainbow trout - which goes to sea . . . but is not a salmon.

its wild / sea diet gives it (a deeper red than) salmon coloration and it is a most tasty dish.

due to fishing pressure, last I heard only Canadian native peoples may harvest steelhead from the wild - the rest of  it is farmed.

as to run of the mill farmed salmon - it's pretty bad.

our fish monger usually has Scottish farm salmon - big ones - fresh, never frozen, and it is seriously superior to supermarket salmon.

edit:  the pix reminded me - arctic char is also a super option in that "taste family"

salmon.jpg

AlaMoi

AlaMoi

steelhead is genetically a rainbow trout - which goes to sea . . . but is not a salmon.

its wild / sea diet gives it (a deeper red than) salmon coloration and it is a most tasty dish.

due to fishing pressure, last I heard only Canadian native peoples may harvest steelhead from the wild - the rest of  it is farmed.

our fish monger usually has Scottish farm salmon - big ones - fresh, never frozen, and it is seriously superior to supermarket salmon.

salmon.jpg

AlaMoi

AlaMoi

it's wild / sea diet gives it (a deeper red than) salmon coloration and it is a most tasty dish.

salmon.jpg