• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum: Egg Custard Tarts

jschyun

I'm not an egg custard tart maven, but in San Francisco Golden Gate Bakery gets WAY more buzz than any other source. Of course, that means you have to wait in a line and personally I would never go out of my way to buy egg tarts. The time for eating them, IMHO, is at the end of a dim sum lunch when the sweetness of the tart can be useful in counteracting the saltiness of what came before. For that, I'm happy with whatever comes out of the kitchen.

I don't care for egg tarts at all. Can't stand 'em -- I have no explanation why... :blush:

However, my wife is an egg tart freak. She has sampled them all over L.A., S.F., and N.Y.C. Her all-time favorites are from Kee Wah Bakery in Monterey Park.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Whenever I'm in Chinatown [once a year or so] I always stop at the bakery at 133 Waverly Place - can't remember the name. Just my own tradition - haven't found any others that I like as well - eggy with a touch of sweet.

That must be the Wonder Bakery, next door to Utopia Cafe (a great place for very good, cheap Chinese food).

Okay?! :shock:You must have tried them when they wheren't fresh.I of coarse could be rong but.....inless you've Had them multiple times I would say you should try them again

No, Ton Kiang's egg custard tarts are usually fresh but after having some spectacular ones at Mission 261, I can't honestly say Ton Kiang's is the best, or even close. Actually, I think Ton Kiang's egg custard tarts are probably some of the best I've had in the Bay area, but they're so small that you hardly get a bite before it's gone, which is my only complaint. I like the fact that the crust is flaky, unlike Koi Palace's.

Perhaps I should have been more clear about the reason I started this thread. There is this local place near me that also has spectacular egg tarts. The crust is ridiculously flaky and the filling, while a bit sweet, is rich, bright yellow with egg. Fantastic. It got me wondering if I had been missing out on other great egg custard tarts. I have been to most of the popular places, but not many of the little bakeries like Golden Gate and Wonder Bakery. Perhaps it's time to wait in that long, long line.

I am also curious if the bakeries do egg custard tarts better than the dim sum joints. I guess this is sort of a pet project of mine.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Well, unfortunately, the place I was talking about is in SoCal. It's called Mission 261, which is also the street name, and I think they have way better egg custard tarts than their sister restaurant Sea Harbour in Rosemead (too greasy). Their milk tarts with ginger juice were very bland though.

Hey, if you're down in SoCal, let me know! I'd love to go there with someone else who loves dim sum. It was recently written up in laweekly.com, but I dont remember mention of egg custard tart. Jonathan Gold doesn't write about sweets much.

The place near me is this little craphole, but they do an inexplicably good egg custard tart. It's in OC.

I guess I must be a pig, because I read some back posts and nobody seems to complain about the size of Ton Kiang's food except me.

I forgot to go to Kee Wah bakery this weekend. Damn.

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

I have been to most of the popular places, but not many of the little bakeries like Golden Gate and Wonder Bakery. Perhaps it's time to wait in that long, long line.

You won't find a line at the Wonder Bakery. It's off the beaten track.

I was surprised to see memesuze even mention it.

I forgot to go to Kee Wah bakery this weekend.  Damn.

I forgot to mention that they sell two or three different types of egg tarts. Don't ask me what they are...

If you do end up at Kee Wah, check out some of their other baked goods. Whenever I end up at a Chinese bakery, I must have a palmier. Kee Wah's is pretty damn good; not the best I've ever had, but maybe the best in M.P. They also make a pretty good pullman loaf, thick or thin slice. Nice and yeasty.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Try the ones at 1029 Grant- one of my husband's co-workers brings them to us because she knows we love them. She thinks the name is Golden Door, but she only knows the Chinese name, so she is not sure of the translation. Phone # is 781-2627.

I think the ones at Koi Palace might be even better. I like ones w/ a a very flaky crust.

Try the ones at 1029 Grant- one of my husband's co-workers brings them to us because she knows we love them. She thinks the name is Golden Door, but she only knows the Chinese name, so she is not sure of the translation. Phone # is 781-2627.

That's Golden Gate. You should give her a "hong bao" for waiting in line for you!.

Just came back from Golden Gate. Oh geez, of all the times to go, I had to stand in that damn line during New Years celebration.

Bought half dozen, probably the most consistently made flaky crust I've seen so far. Filling is not as rich as I've had elsewhere, more milk or water, less eggy rich. Still quite addictive. Had an old man try to squeeze me out of line. Repeatedly. Will go again to check for consistency.

I've never had a decent crust at Koi Palace. Maybe they don't like me there or soemthing. Always get them and always get a cookielike crust, the filling is okay.

--NeroW