• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

restaurant/food movies

markovitch

and don't forget the food orgy in Tom Jones-- 1963 Multiple Academy Award winning movie with Albert Finney... (then read the book; you won't believe it was written in the mid 1700's!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

It hasn't been released to the general public yet (it has been shown in limited engagements up till now) but Eat This New York is a documentary restaurant movie that is really good. Its what "The Restaurant" should have been.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Also there's a Chinese one called The Noodle Shop or something like that. About a woman who opens a noodle restaurant and wants to make the perfect noodle soup.  Hope I'm not mangling the description of it too much...

It is Japanese and is Tampopo.

oh good grief, did I ever mangle that. :huh:

I have seen:

Mostly Martha, a german romance flick... but like most german romance flick the final goal is friendship not love.

Hey I thought that was the one where she ended up with that sexy Italian chef!

what about "A Chef in Love" the part where he is in the restaurant and lists every ingrediant in the special down to the bear liver, or where he drinks 5 liters of wine at once at a ceremony.... good flick

"Only the tougne tells the truth..."-F.A.

revallo@gmail.com

Godfather 1 and Godfather 2 do a very good job of weaving food or meals into the story. The viewer is left very aware of how important food and drink were to that family. The contrast of the civil ceremony of meals against the not-so-civil family business is one of the things that keeps me watching them every couple of years.

Godfather 3? Not so much.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

There is one movie no one has mentioned that food is so intimate in, that it needs putting down here. It is "Vatel" with Gerard Depardieu as a master of the kitchens of a French Duc, who gets traded to Louis the XIV after a card game. Has anybody else seen this?

Here's one... Gosford Park... There are some great scenes in the downstairs kitchen where the staff gathers and we get a great glimpse of the rigidity of British culture at the time... There are also great scenes at table from both the perspective of the owners and the servants... I have worked on movies as a props person doing large dining scenes... What a nightmare in terms of continuity... You know, in one shot an actor has a glass of wine in front of him or her, then a quick cut and back and its gone or is white wine instead of red... That sort of thing...This is a movie with great food scenes to be truly appreciated from a historical and technical aspect...

Adam

Chef - Food / Wine / Travel Consultant - Writer

It hasn't been released to the general public yet (it has been shown in limited engagements up till now) but Eat This New York is a documentary restaurant movie that is really good. Its what "The Restaurant" should have been.

Was this the one about the two guys who took a year and a half to open a litle bar/sandwich place in Brooklyn? They also showed successfule restauranteurs like Nierport, Sirio, etc. This was a good movie.

Here's one... Gosford Park... There are some great scenes in the downstairs kitchen where the staff gathers and we get a great glimpse of the rigidity of British culture at the time... There are also great scenes at table from both the perspective of the owners and the servants... I have worked on movies as a props person doing large dining scenes... What a nightmare in terms of continuity... You know, in one shot an actor has a glass of wine in front of him or her, then a quick cut and back and its gone or is white wine instead of red... That sort of thing...This is a movie with great food scenes to be truly appreciated from a historical and technical aspect...

It was on the Mystery Channel last night and I had forgotten it had good food scenes. It also reminded of another period piece with AMAZING food scenes, Age of Innocence.

I haven't seen it yet, but isn't there a movie called "Woman on Top" with Penelope Cruz?  I think she's supposed to be a woman with a cooking show or something. :blink:

This movie is so dreadful that I did something I rarely do: turned it off after twenty minutes.

Let's just call it "unappetizing." And it left a bad taste in my mouth. "Woman in Flop" is more like it.

Blegh.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Not on par with many of the others mentioned here but I always do enjoy Mystic Pizza.

Yes, I just caught that on cable last week for the first time in years and it's one of the VERY FEW movies that makes me miss the '80's. The other is Crossing Delancey.

What did you like about Crossing Delancey? It's one of the few movies I remember because I hated it so much. I was waiting for the pickle-maker's son to make a speech at the end to the awful Amy Irving character saying: "You think just because I'm a pickle-maker's son, I don't have dignity? You think I don't have feelings? You think you can just abuse me in every which way and get away with it? Well, you thought wrong. You know what your problem is? You don't have a heart. It's like when you were created, God forgot to put one in your body. My father and me, we're not like those pretentious intellectual schmucks you like to fuck. You see, we have pride in working with our hands, we care about family, we have pride, and above all, we have hearts. You don't. But you know what else you don't have? You don't have a chance in Hell to find a soulmate who will be at your side when you're old and your pretty face is gone. So enjoy your empty affairs while you still can and get the fuck out of here!"

Michael aka "Pan"