• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

restaurant/food movies

markovitch

I loved Tatie Danielle, a French film about a mean, mean, mean old woman and her semi-abusive caretaker, Sondrine. The old woman is addicted to pastry. Pastry appear throughout the movie.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I highly suggest the following from this list because food is so prominently portrayed as a central theme:

301-302 1995

South Korea - John Hart : Horror / Mystery / Thriller

Babette's Feast 1987

Danish / French - Gabriel Axel : Comedy / Drama

Bella Martha aka Mostly Martha 2001

Sandra Nettelbeck : Comedy / Romance

Big Night 1996

Campbell Scott, Stanley Tucci : Comedy

Chicken and Duck Talk or Chicken and Fast Food 1988

Clifton Ko : Comedy [Gai tung aap gong]

Chocolat 2000

Lasse Hallstrom -- Comedy / Romance

Cooking with Butter [La Cuisine au Beurre] 1963

French - Gilles Grangier : Comedy

Cuisine Americaine 1998

Jacques Teyssier -- Comedy

Earth to Mouth 2002

Yung Chang : Documentary / Short

Eat Drink Man Woman 1994

Ang Lee Taiwan : Comedy / Romance / Drama

Eat This New York 2004

Kate Novack & Andrew Rossi

Fine Food, Fine Pastries, Open 6 to 9 1989

David Petersen : Documentary / Short

Four Seasons for a Feast 1999

French - Jean-Paul Jaud: With Chef Guy Savoy DVD includes recipes

Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers 1980

Les Blank : Documentary (w/Alice Waters); Video Clip

Like Water for Chocolate 1992

Mexico - Alfonsaso Aeau : Comedy / Romance / Drama

Missing Person 1984

Arabic - Mohamed Khan Kharag Wa Lam Ya'ud

Mostly Martha (Drei Sterne) 2001

Sandra Nettelbeck : Comedy / Romance

A Private Function 1985

Malcolm Mowbray : Comedy

Winner of the "Best Stimulator of Hunger" award at the 1997 Cinema and Food Retrospective Festival in Italy

Tampopo : 1986

Japan - Juzo Itami : Comedy

Tortilla Soup 2001

Maria Ripoll : Comedy / Family / Romance

Vatel 2000

Roland Joffe; Drama extravagant seafood feast

Water, Greenery and a Beautiful Face 2000

Arabic - Youssri Nasrallah

Enjoy!

:smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Rear Window isn't a food movie, no food at all really, but there is a scene where James Stewart, Grace Kelly and Wendell Corey are all holding brandy snifters warming the brandy by swirling it non-stop in their hands. I must have seen that movies over a dozen times, and I noticed this for the first time this weekend. Once I noticed, I was mesmerized by the activity. I lost track of what they were saying because the swirling was so constant. I wonder if the actors felt silly doing that?

The Scent of Green Papaya

This is a lovely movie, but why people think of it as a food movie is beyond me.

I prefer Eat Drink Man Woman over Tortilla Soup. But that could be because I saw EDMW first and thought it was brilliant. So seeing it remade just didn't seem right...

Babette's Feast. Fabulous film.

Tampopo is probably the one film in that everything, EVERYTHING in it has to do with food. Even in the death scene the guy's last words are about food LOL

Born Free, Now Expensive

It hasn't been released to the general public yet (it has been shown in limited engagements up till now) but Eat This New York is a documentary restaurant movie that is really good. Its what "The Restaurant" should have been.

It opens this friday (1/30) in NYC at Cinema Village.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

How about Scarface when Tony Montana freaks TOTALLY out in the restaurant?

i will NEVER watch that movie again

I wrote a paper for a class last semester profiling Pacino's "cuban" accent-- how he 'manages' to kind of sound cuban without really sounding cuban at all...

i ended up watching the movie, beginning to end, about 16 times.

got good remarks though.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

New documentary film screening at Sundance this week - "I Like Killing Flies", about Shopsin's, a tiny, family owned restaurant in Greenwich Village.

The film documents this 35 year old neighborhood institution and it's chef, Kenny, who started cooking to earn some extra money and now has about 900 different items listed on his menu. The film follows him, his pronoucements on life, and what happens when the restaurant loses it's lease. I didn't get a chance to see this at the festival, but hopefully it picked up a distributor and will be opening soon. Any NYGulleteers know about this place?

People who saw the film tell me Kenny is a riot.

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Diner. Was it Paul Rieser who kept saying "Are you gonna finish that?" I also have to mention the episode of Bugs Bunny with the two little French chefs who fight over who gets to make rabbit stew out of Bugs. A true classic.

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.--fortune cookie.