• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

restaurant/food movies

markovitch

So for the past week Portland has been snowed/iced in, and i have done nothing but cook and rent movies. I started hunting out food related movies, but i haven't found any good ones. I have seen:

Mostly Martha, a german romance flick... but like most german romance flick the final goal is friendship not love.

Dinner Rush, starring Danny Aiello (sp?) and the head chef looks like John leguizamo

any better ones out there? am i just going to have to wait for the Kitchen Confidential movie?

edit: one day i will learn to type

Edited by markovitch (log)

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

Wasn't there some sort of "Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?" with Robert Morley as a Food Critic?

"Moonstruck" had a lot of food-related scenes in it. I always get so hungry when I watch that movie!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Already some great suggestions. Tortilla Soup is a decent enough movie. I think it was based on Eat Drink Man Woman, but I could be wrong. But I love Mexican food so much that seeing the opening sequence is just awesome.

btw, drove my wife into work today (Portland) and it took us a full hour to get across the 205 bridge. Then coming back I saw 4 accidents, 3 of which happened before my eyes, including a guy shooting across the median from the other direction. Even had to get out on an overpass and push some lady's tin can mini-SUV to get her straightened out. We need some rain!

Wasn't there some sort of "Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?" with Robert Morley as a Food Critic?

Yes - with Jacqueline Bisset and George Segal. I recommended it to a friend just last night but she couldn't find it in her store (it is a bit older).

Tampopo (great noodle slurping!).

Tampopo is one of my all-time favorite movies, food-oriented or otherwise. I think any film where there is obvious passion about its subject matter is worth seeing. There is much passion in Tampopo. It's also very funny. Nearly perfect.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

La Grande Bouffe

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

And don't forget L'Aile ou la Cuisse? (A Wing or a Thigh?) a 1976 Louis De Funès comedy in which De Funès stars as Charles Duchemin, France's best known gourmet and publisher of the red Guide Duchemin. He is waging a war against fast food entrepreneur Jean Tricatel and seeking to preserve the traditional cuisine of France. Meanwhile his son wants to become a clown rather than a restaurant critic and he, the famous Charles Duchemin, has lost his sense of taste.

Very 1970s, mostly silly, lots of slapstick, but dead on-topic for eGullet foodie types.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Yes - with Jacqueline Bisset and George Segal. I recommended it to a friend just last night but she couldn't find it in her store (it is a bit older).

If you've got a TiVo, just do a search or a wishlist autorecord. I'm sure it airs several times a year, you'll catch it eventually. Click for movie's details.

Eating Raoul

In which Mr. & Mrs. Bland go to great lengths with a cast iron skillet in an effort to save up enough money to open a restaurant.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I fondly remember 'Who's killing the Great Chefs of Europe'. It's from the late 70's, when I began to get serious about cooking. Lots of great scenes in European cities, kitchens, food, lots of over the top hysterical chefs. Even then, it was unbelievable that Jacquiline Bisset (as a Pastry Chef) could waltz onto an airplane, carrying her knife kit. (heck, I had problems checking mine in my luggage at that time.). And watching her try to make a large Bombe is just too funny, as she patted away at this massive thing with a palette knife.

Funny, funny movie. See it if you can.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Well, maybe not for the entire movie, but in the beginning of "Once Upon a Time in America" there is the most beautiful scene of a kid bringing a confection to a girl and he has to wait in the stairwell until she is ready to come out. Leone spends an entire 5-minute single-edit with this kid as he unwraps the dessert and slowly proceeds to devour the thing. Really beautiful cinematography.

The original french Cousin, Cousine. The couple made eating pastries so sexy. Not a food movie but food in it. .. it was french, what do you expect?!

Agree with others on Babette's Feast and Eat Drink, Man Woman.

Also there's a Chinese one called The Noodle Shop or something like that. About a woman who opens a noodle restaurant and wants to make the perfect noodle soup. Hope I'm not mangling the description of it too much...

Certainly Babette's Feast applies, especially for the demonstration of the proper manner in which a quail head should be eaten...

Adam

Chef - Food / Wine / Travel Consultant - Writer

Tortillia soup is a good one also.

I saw this on cable recently, it was excellent.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've been passionate about food movies for a long time -- and food SCENES within otherwise non-food movies. Here are a few of my favorites:

Diva

Serge Gorodish (played by Richard Bohringer) explains to Jules (the postman, played by Frédéric Andréi) the proper way to butter a baguette. "This is my sartori," he says...

Women in Love

There is a picnic scene where Rupert Birkin (played by Alan Bates) watches Hermione (Eleanor Bron) delicately eat a fig with utensils. He then akins the fig to a woman's part and sensually rips the fig apart with his two thumbs, eating it thus.

Lives of the Bengal Lancers

Another movie with a Veuve Cliquot reference (see my signature). But there is a banquet scene where Lieutenant Forsythe (my greatest love, Franchot Tone) discusses how horrible the mutton is. Brilliant.

Titus

Well, the entire dinner sequence with Titus (Anthony Hopkins) in chef's garb is superb.

I could go on, but those are my all-time, watch over-and-over fav's...

Also there's a Chinese one called The Noodle Shop or something like that. About a woman who opens a noodle restaurant and wants to make the perfect noodle soup. Hope I'm not mangling the description of it too much...

It is Japanese and is Tampopo.

How about The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer