• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snow Cream

Ladybug

I feel so cheated! We are definately making snow cream at school the next time is snows.

Do you have to refreeze it? How do you keep it from melting?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Well, the first time round it has a fresh-churned ice cream texture, then after it's in the freezer for a while it freezes solid and you sort of have to chip it out of the bowl in chunks. It's still very good at that stage though.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Do you have to refreeze it? How do you keep it from melting?

If I remember right, we got the cream and sugar mixture really cold and only mixed what we would eat right away. We didn't refreeze.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Well, the first time round it has a fresh-churned ice cream texture, then after it's in the freezer for a while it freezes solid and you sort of have to chip it out of the bowl in chunks. It's still very good at that stage though.

That's my experience too, but I have nuked the rock solid snow cream to soften it with some small success. It was basically spoon-able then and the flavor didn't suffer. It's really more of a novelty food than a gourmet food, but it goes over really well with kids.