• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

potato peeler

elfin

I've been using 2 OXOs for many years now -- a straight and a Y -- and have had no complaints except for the potato eye thing. But darn, now I'm going to have to try the Kuhn-Rikon and the Messermeister.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I regret to have to advise you that the best possible peeler is no longer manufactured. Mine disappeared over a decade ago. I bought all sorts of substitutes, none of which were satisfactory, went through the trash bins, and even siffted my compot heap to no avail. Then when my new refrigerator was being delivered, as the old one was being removed my peeler appeared in a pile of grot, mold, and cat kibble.Repressing my gag reflex, I grabbed it (the peeler, not the cat, although he had it coming) with a pair of kitchen tongs, threw both the peeler and the tongs into a pot of boiling water for five to ten minutes and then washed them over and over and over. The culprit, in this disappearence, was the cat, who in reverse of the Monty Python skit, liked to put things under things.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Add my vote for the Messermeister serrated. It's new, I read about in the LA times last year, and only place that seems to carry it is Sur La Table.

It peels fresh tomatoes, though I have not tried a really ripe one yet, 'tis not the season, but it has worked great on butternut and jicama and tough stuff like that.

Was around $6

I've used one of these for abnout 10 years and it still works just fine.

I can't believe that they sell it for $17.50!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock:

Look again.

That it's $17.50 (currently $15.00) for a 5 piece set, one of each color. That averages about $3.00 per peeler.

Though why would one person want 5 peelers at one time is a puzzle. Perhaps it's their idea for stocking stuffers at Christmas time.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

QUOTE (Suzanne F @ Jan 9 2004, 03:32 PM)

QUOTE (mnebergall @ Jan 9 2004, 03:04 PM)

I've used one of these for abnout 10 years and it still works just fine. 

I can't believe that they sell it for $17.50!!!!!!   

Look again.

That it's $17.50 (currently $15.00) for a 5 piece set, one of each color. That averages about $3.00 per peeler.

Though why would one person want 5 peelers at one time is a puzzle. Perhaps it's their idea for stocking stuffers at Christmas time.

I think this is the peeler I love too. The brand is Swissmar. I have never had to replace one because it was dull, but I do lose them often at work. And they are dirt cheap, I buy them three or four at a time. They are never more than $4.00 (thats canadian) but they are usually on sale for $2.49. And they come in so many pretty colors :wub:

I'll add my vote for the Swissmar. I never though I'll use a peeler with such pleasure. Bought at BB&B for $2.99.

p.s. so much for W-S's claim that it's an exclusive...

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

Thanks for the correction; I guess I stopped reading after the shock of the $$$ without seeing it was for several.

In any case, yes, it is a terrific peeler, especially for when you want to take off just the thinnest layer.

I'll check to see if Knife Merchant carries the serrated kind; that's where I usually get my Messermeister stuff.

• 2 years later...

that looks weird...;) the only peeler i use is the cheapo kuhn-rikon plastic one, available at Northwest Cutlery for just 2.95. rutabegas, butternut squash, even the bumpy end of celery root, taro root, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. peels a carrot in about three seconds flat. never misses; the only problem is that i have occasionally taken off chunks of finger--but thats mostly because of the way i hold the vegetables, on the tips of my fingers for speed. they are sharp though, and when you get used to the size and shape much more movement-efficient than anything else; a few snaps of the wrist are all that is required...

such a passion for peelers here! :cool:

Another vote for the OXO, I have the straight one.

Okay, you folks have persuaded me to get the serrated peeler for tomatoes and such. You're right, they are a hassle, even with a very sharp smooth edged peeler.

Why would you ever peel tomatos with a peeler? the blanching technique is much easier and results in just the skin being taken off.

PS: I am a guy.

hands down best peeler in the world i think is the Kuhn Rikon carbon steel peeler which comes in various cute colors. It has the best blade i know of for a peeler and lasts forever. The handle is brillant, you can use it in many different ways with great results. I like the little knotch on the side for taking out potato spots etc..

I can't get them here in Slovakia which is a pain. So when my cookies lost all i had, i ended up flying to London to a shop i knew carried them just to have them back in the kitchen!!!

For a chef, there's a few pieces of great must have equipment: good knives, measuring spoons and tasting spoons, and a kick arse peeler!! Everything else is optional...