• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

potato peeler

elfin

Is there a good potato /vegetable peeler you can recommend? I have bought the cheap variety (which work ok until it quickly dulls and rusts) and name brand (Henkels) which was really disappointing.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

get a Kyocera, guaranteed NOT to rust.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I am sure most of the fancy, expensive peelers are fine, but a regular one will do pretty much as well if you keep it sharp. They don't come sharpened from the factory either, so a brand new one benefits from sharpening. How you say? I use a ceramic stick, from a Spyderco sharpening kit - but any cheap stick likely would work. Rub the stick across the underside of the peeler to take off the burrs, then stroke it flat across the top - the cutting edge - a few times. You'll be amazed.

Is there a good potato /vegetable peeler you can recommend?  I have bought the cheap  variety (which work ok until  it  quickly dulls and rusts) and name brand (Henkels)  which was really disappointing.

I use the Victorinox Rex potato peeler. Made from alu and stainless steel, at 2 greenbacks you can buy it in half dozens. This item is fabricated unchanged for about half a century.

Couldnt locate an US source though.

A bit more expensive (8 dollars) is the Kuhn Rikon All Stainless Steel peeler

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

I have had great luck with these tools. They are really sharp and hold an edge well. They are also cheap enough to bag when they get dull (which takes a while).

They are available at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Walmart, but this was the best description that I could find to link.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I snapped my Kyocera in 2 while peeling a sweet potato after just 18 months.

ouch! i dont like my Kyocera paring knife either.

feels too kitschy

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

My Kyocera is still good. But it hasn't gotten that much use yet. I have the uneasy feeling that it will go snap. I have seen those Victorinox peelers somewhere here. I think at someone's house. I would think that they are available as most other Victorinox products are. But then, I can't find it on their web site.

My Oxo got dull really fast. I never thought about sharpening them. Duh.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have had great luck with these tools. They are really sharp and hold an edge well. They are also cheap enough to bag when they get dull (which takes a while).

They are available at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Walmart, but this was the best description that I could find to link.

This is the peeler I have and I'm very happy with it except that you can't dig out the potato "eyes" with it. Had it for a few years and it's still sharp, though.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'll third those. Haven't used it for potatoes though yet. For carrots its pretty awesome. But then again the last one I had been using was one of those old school all metal ones that was dull as a doorknob.

Msk

I peel my potatoes with a paring knife to my hubby's everlasting horror. He uses the tupperware peeler, and loves it.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Here are two suggestions: the Kuhn Rikon peeler with a carbon steel blade (click here) or the Messermeister serrated peeler (click here).

The Kuhn Rikon model is really sharp, pretty strong, and very inexpensive. Chefs come in all the time to buy these. In fact, over Christmas, several chefs bought them for their staffs, as "stocking stuffers."

The Messermeister, being serrated, can peel things that other peelers can't touch, such as raw tomatoes or peaches, or waxed vegetables like cucumbers and bell peppers.

I have both. I use the Kuhn Rikon for most jobs, but love the Messermeister for the tricky ones.

The Kuhn Rikon model is really sharp, pretty strong, and very inexpensive. Chefs come in all the time to buy these. In fact, over Christmas, several chefs bought them for their staffs, as "stocking stuffers."

The Messermeister, being serrated, can peel things that other peelers can't touch, such as raw tomatoes or peaches, or waxed vegetables like cucumbers and bell peppers.

I have both. I use the Kuhn Rikon for most jobs, but love the Messermeister for the tricky ones.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If I were on staff and the chef put potato peelers in MY stocking, I would stuff him in a stock pot!

I never heard of the serrated peelers. That sounds like a really good idea for the things you mentioned.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have a serrated paring knife now as well as the smooth one. Both work equally well for peeling things.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I never heard of the serrated peelers. That sounds like a really good idea for the things you mentioned.

I know on Good Eats, AB recommended a serrated peeler because it "grabs" more and so you maintain your peeling better. I've never been able to find one in stores, yet, though. I guess maybe I'll try the link above.

I have the OXO as well. I'm not normally a fan of the oversized grips, but it seems to be appropriate here. The inability to dig out eyes on potatoes is occasionally annoying, however, as previously mentioned.

I've been using an OXO for years. Never had a problem with it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'll weigh in on the Good Grips, too. Comes razor sharp when new, and I've had mine for years and it's still sharp. When I worked at a kitchen supply store this is the only one we'd let anyone buy. (And would sometimes keep a carrot and a supply of them on the checkout counter and let them sell themselves.)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Have had the OXO for 5 or so years now, it works very well. Sharp enough to peel with ease (even butternut squash) but not so sharp that a slip will send you, swearing and bleeding, to the medicine cabinet. Very comfortable handle, and dishwasher safe.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

I've used one of these for abnout 10 years and it still works just fine.

I can't believe that they sell it for $17.50!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock:

That's the same one (Kuhn-Rikon) that JAZ showed at Sur La Table for $3.95. And it is wonderful!! I used to buy them for my staff at Broadway Panhandler. Takes off such a thin layer that if the skin is thick, you may have to run it over twice. The only drawback is that the blade can pop out of the plastic cradle; but it can then be popped right back in again, so no loss.

I also love the Oxo swivel peeler. Years of use, never dulled. (true of the Kuhn-Rikon, too).