• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boycott Beaujolais

Florida Jim

Over the past couple of nights, I have had a couple of clearly aberrant bottles of Beaujolais. They were delicious. Obviously, these must be the kind of wines people talk about when they say the exception proves the rule. Ah, make that exceptions.

2002 Coudert, Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie Cuvee Tardive:

During the first half hour, this bore a striking resemblance to the regular cuvee from this producer in this vintage; that delineated, latent power, fairly closed profile that all but yells that it needs to rest. But this cuvee has plusher fruit and a bigger and more textured mouthfeel, which I got to taste starting at about 45 minutes open. By the time the evening (and bottle) was ending, this wine was fully open, joyously juicy and rich, with plush tannins and fabulous flavors.

I suspect this will also do well in the cellar, but if 45 minutes of air make it this good, why bother. About $22, delivered.

2000 Micharud, Brouilly Cuvee Non-Filtre:

The Michaud 2000’s are really coming into their own. The more expensive (by $4) Cuvee Prestige from this producer is just starting to open but this is glorious right now.

Half and hour in the decanter brought out a tart raspberry structure but it was merely a skeleton for the deep, rich flavors and texture that were expansive in the mouth and seemed to last through an entire TV commercial break (now that’s length).

I have had a lot of very fine Burgundy that could not approach the mouthfeel of this wine and very few from recent vintages that showed this well. So if you’re waiting on your Burgs. to develop, this is a lovely wine to consume in the interim.

While the Cuvee Prestige still needs time, this is ready and willing today.

About $13, delivered.

As you see, these must be anomalous examples from this wasteland of an AOC located somewhere in a country that doesn’t share our administration’s political views.

If for no other reason, they should be avoided.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

My understanding is that French wine sales are still down, but that it's on the retail side of things and at this point more likely caused by the low dollar valuation and economy.

Even when people were calling for boycotts Restaurants in North Carolina that carried French wines said they would continue to carry them and saw no drop in sales. One Somalier was even quoted as saying, "Well, the people who want to boycott French wine, and call them freedom fries ... they didn't eat here anyway."

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

"Well, the people who want to boycott French wine, and call them freedom fries ... they didn't eat here anyway."

That is and will always be true in this regard I think.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Over the past couple of nights, I have had a couple of clearly aberrant bottles of Beaujolais. They were delicious. Obviously, these must be the kind of wines people talk about when they say the exception proves the rule. Ah, make that exceptions....

As you see, these must be anomalous examples from this wasteland of an AOC located somewhere in a country that doesn’t share our administration’s political views.  If for no other reason, they should be avoided.

FWIW, Ben Giliberti in the Washington Post was pretty high on the current Nouveau Beaujolais this week also. I'm not even close to expert and can't give a professional sounding opinion, but when we tasted the Duboeuf Beaujolais last weekend we thought it quite nice and somewhat more polished (probably not the right word) than NB from earlier years.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Please excuse me if I have these facts mixed up, but didn't someone named Pearl (spelling?) just advocate invading France? Would this be good for the wine industry or bad? Would Haut Brion then be an american wine? We seem to have a larger then usual bounty of well priced French wines in our stores here in Vancouver so who am I to complain. Does Mr Bush's government have any problems with Italy? With all the great vintages there it would be nice to see americans boycott them for a year or two.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Haut Brion .... would be nice to see americans boycott them 

And please don't forget to boycott truffles from Perigord, foie gras, Châteauneuf, Clos de la Roche, whatever as well. It's so expensive here in Old Europe.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Haut Brion .... would be nice to see americans boycott them 

And please don't forget to boycott truffles from Perigord, foie gras, Châteauneuf, Clos de la Roche, whatever as well. It's so expensive here in Old Europe.

Lest the political clamor rage on, I was being sarcastic in the title and intro. Not in the tasting note, itself, however.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I will be looking out for these wines.

Thanks Jim.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I just had some of the regular cuvee of the Clos Roilette. It's great! For UK readers, Lea and Sandeman have it at just under £10 a bottle (just next to the Black & Blue where the burger club had a meeting). The cuvee tardive is not available here but the chap at L & S I spoke to said they might have it next year, because the regular one has sold well.

Thanks for the pointer Jim.