• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are we having for dessert?

Moopheus

The other day we made the meyer lemon sabayon pine nut tart from the French Laundry cookbook, served with honey mascarpone. Surprisingly easy to make, given the source.

Last night was affogato (a shot of espresso over vanilla ice cream). Usually we make our own ice cream but we were lazy and bought a pint.

allison

I believe the pastry chef at NoMI is Kriss Harvey, who used to be at 727 Pine in the Seattle Hyatt. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to meet him, but he always seems to do interesting work.

I LIKE his (her?) dessert menu!

Very cool!

Thanks for linking it, alana.

2317/5000

The other day we made the meyer lemon sabayon pine nut tart from the French Laundry cookbook, served with honey mascarpone. Surprisingly easy to make, given the source.

This has become a standard in the Busboy household. We find that it's even better now that we pay close enough attention to keep the entire top from burning black and having to be peeled off. :laugh:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Panettone bread & butter pudding. I first had this at the Walnut Tree Inn and this was my first attempt. The flavor is awesome (if, of course, you like panettone), but the layer of custard that developed below the floating bread was silken. I meant to just have a corner of it. I ended up devouring a quarter of it.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I made strawberry sorbet last night using Busboy's formula. Delicious. Locally grown strawberries picked yesterday morning ($18 a flat, usually they get cheaper as the season goes on, so it should be a good year price wise). I made the simple sugar with turbinado sugar (real turb, not the fake stuff with syrup added back to granulated) instead of white granulated. I also crushed a few mint leaves and added them to the syrup as I was making it. None left. Might have to do it again tonight, although strawberry icecream sounds good as well. :biggrin:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 2 weeks later...

We've all been so very good - so long since last post.

"Peppermint Pattie" - two chocolate shortbread cookies with a creamy mint filling - ala Tom Douglas/Dahlia Bakery. A little outline heart on the edge of the half dipped portion.

The other day life handed me some black bananas, so I made banana bread, with chocolate chips. Basic Betty Crocker recipe. You can pretend it has nutritional value. Should be gone tonight, though.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

• 3 weeks later...
For our anniversary on Wednesday, I made the Apricot Soufflé from Cocolat. I kind of f***** up the gelée on top, but otherwise it was a masterpiece.

i3262.jpg

You photographed it beautifully. If you hadn't said anything, very few people would have noticed. Definitely a masterpiece. I may need to have some dessert tonight.

You photographed it beautifully. If you hadn't said anything, very few people would have noticed. Definitely a masterpiece. I may need to have some dessert tonight.

Edit: I can't delete, but I was trying to edit and it double-posted. Oh well.

Edited by Rhea_S (log)