• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are we having for dessert?

Moopheus

What did we have for dessert today? Did you make it, buy it in a store, get it after dinner at a restaurant or in a cafe? Was it good? Tasty? Interesting? Satisfying?

After reading through the "making and eating desserts" thread I thought it would be interesting to take a cross-the-board state-of-the-dessert survey.

My dessert tonight was pretty pedestrian--some chocolates from a tray of Ferrero Rocher hazelnut chocolates. One of those gift assortments, and it was in fact a gift. It wasn't especially satisfying, not terrible. We ate them.

I hope somebody had better.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

What did we have for dessert today? Did you make it, buy it in a store, get it after dinner at a restaurant or in a cafe? Was it good? Tasty? Interesting? Satisfying?

So funny you should ask... I made my first souffle today!

Procedure went pretty smoothly, I've made custards and meringues before, this is just folding the 2 together.

It came out all right for a first try, classic chocolate souffle. COulda been more chocolatey, and I'm sure I still didn't cook it long enough. But not bad for a first try...

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

This is my kind of thread.

An almond truffle from Godiva and some Valentine colored peanut M&M's

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Blovie and I went out to dinner tonight. I had orange infused beignets (3), banana and pineapple fritters (2 of each) with pineapple sorbet. The plate was dressed with raspberry, strawberry and kiwi sauce. It was yummy.

Blovie had a molten chocolate cake. He ate it too quickly for me to sample.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

This is my kind of thread.

An almond truffle from Godiva and some Valentine colored peanut M&M's

I don't generally eat dessert, but I'm still eating the Christmas coloured peanut m&m's!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have just returned from visiting family in the United Arab Emirates. After thirty hours of travelling, I fell into bed a few hours ago with the four-kilo tin of basboussa, nammoura, and baklava I brought back with me.

The butter keeps me sated, the sugar makes me happy, the nuts make me strong like an ox.

Bliss.

We had the Chocolate Lover's Angel Food Cake from The Cake Bible with a dollop of Nutella and whipped cream. It was very nice. It was not pretty, but the cake was very moist. Usually angel food cakes are on the dry side.

Tonight my girlfriend and i had orange sements & Cucumber with sweet and sour chili poweder.  Not a traditional dessert but very tasty, a great mexican treat during the summer.

Is "sweet and sour chile powder" anything like "hot ham"?

Erin

I just made some chocolate mousse for tonight.

Mmmm. Chocolate. :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I made chocolate mousse tonight., It was good. I hadn't done that in a long time. The other night I had a hazelnut velvet cake at a restaurant--hazelnut cake, chocolate mousse filling, buttercream frosting, which was pretty good but my mousse was better than what was in the cake. The filling was very dense and not as chocolatey.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I had 4 chocolates from an 32 count assorted box purchased at Sen5es in Vancouver, BC. They are small, so I actually thought I used some will power eating only 4.

2 of them I couldn't distingish their flavor (semi-sweet ganche/semi sweet coating), the 3rd was not to my liking-it had a savory Indian taste, but lucky enough the last one was my favorite out of the box, to date. It was a white chocolate ganche, thin layer of lemon coated in semi-sweet choc..

I braved the freezing cold weather tonight and had dinner with a friend tonight. Afterward, we treated ourselves to a little "snack" at a local dessert place. I had a chocolate cupcake with chocolate-orange buttercream with a cafe au lait. The cupcake was little but hit the spot. The orange in the buttercream was suprising. I figured it was just chocolate.

I had a lovely dessert yesterday for lunch at NoMI here in Chicago. It was a warm chocolate soup infused with cinnamon and vanilla topped with a bit of melting coconut "curd" (basically coconut milk cooked with sugar, egg yolks and butter like a lemon curd). It was served with a deconstructed linzer "tart" which consisted of halved fresh raspberries, a sprinkling of crunchy, spicy struesel powder and a quenelle of chocolate cream. The soup was rich, but not very sweet, with a very complex and subtle flavor which brought out some floral notes from the coconut. The "tart" was refreshing and a nice complement to the soup, though the chocolate cream was a bit on the too rich side.

My first attempt at chocolate cheesecake I am trying out for a chocolate competition next month. Lots of components. chocolate crumb crust, ganache, chocolate cheesecake with a carmel swirl and candied pecans in maple syrup on the outside adhered with carmel. Been super busy in the past month, but getting back to this forum. All the desserts sound wonderful!

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

I had a lovely dessert yesterday for lunch at NoMI here in Chicago. It was a warm chocolate soup infused with cinnamon and vanilla topped with a bit of melting coconut "curd" (basically coconut milk cooked with sugar, egg yolks and butter like a lemon curd). It was served with a deconstructed linzer "tart" which consisted of halved fresh raspberries, a sprinkling of crunchy, spicy struesel powder and a quenelle of chocolate cream. The soup was rich, but not very sweet, with a very complex and subtle flavor which brought out some floral notes from the coconut. The "tart" was refreshing and a nice complement to the soup, though the chocolate cream was a bit on the too rich side.

Absolutely no fair! Did you get to meet Kriss? (And did you eat some savories to go with that?)

Rich looking devil's food cake from Mother's Bistro that I haven't tucked into yet, but I had to get a piece to go because it looked sooo good. Still stuffed from dinner. (Review in Pacific NW)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."