• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cafe paloma

i was in DC last week and had a meal at zaytinya - a turkish fusion place. i loved the food and am craving mezze...i'm meeting a friend for dinner tonight and i'm tempted by the charming website of cafe paloma. has anyone been? any advice for other/better mezze either traditional or fusion (but one with at least a tavern license)

thanks! i'll report back tomorrow

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Cafe Paloma is fantastic, or at least it was when I went. I'm kind of a Turkish food freak, and I think it's probably the best quality mezze in town. One thing to know is that the servings are quite small, so if you're the kind of person that wants to get a lot of food for your money, you'll be dissapointed.

Another good place for Turkish food in general is Ephesus in West Seattle. Great hummus and kababs.

Porta on Eastlake is a Greek place that also has top quality mezze. Some Greeks and Turks don't like to admit it, but there's a lot of commonality in their cuisines and much of what Porta serves could easily appear on the menu of a Turkish restaurant as well.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

i much prefer to order lots of small plates - i'm very excited for paloma! is the WS place past the junction on the right as you head to fauntleroy? i have always wondered about that place - it always seems dead...i'll have to check it out now.

have you been to mezze in kirkland? is it still there?

if you're ever in DC - i can't recommend zaytinya enough - i posted a review on the DC page - i have a good friend who belly dances at mezze in cleveland park and she swears by the borek there.

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

i much prefer to order lots of small plates - i'm very excited for paloma! is the WS place past the junction on the right as you head to fauntleroy? i have always wondered about that place - it always seems dead...i'll have to check it out now.

have you been to mezze in kirkland? is it still there?

if you're ever in DC - i can't recommend zaytinya enough - i posted a review on the DC page - i have a good friend who belly dances at mezze in cleveland park and she swears by the borek there.

Yes, Ephesus is at 5245 California Ave. Very good food, nice space, sometimes spotty service.

Never been to Mezze in Kirkland. Is it good?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

i haven't been but in my paloma research, i discovered that the owner left mezze in kirkland (which i think he'd opened with a partner).

i loved paloma. i loved zedat - we chatted about zaytinya and the serious buzz surrounding it in DC and turkish food in the states...he was warm and gracious. our waitress (though slow due to a confusing and complex system there) was totally lovely and sweet...and the food was amazing.

the menu was more limited than what i'd seen online, but there was still plenty to enjoy. winners - the peynir & meyva - i've never had cheese quite like that...and the pomegranate, red pepper and walnut spread. addictive. we felt high. the best kind of food experience. i can't believe i'm going to say this, but i wish i spent more time in pioneer square. i can envision all kinds of fun wandering in there for a coffee and baklava on a rainy afternoon.

--6 Train

dammit! I hate it when I hear about a restaurant I don't know about. I especially hate it that I haven't eaten there yet!!

Uhh, so you're more OK with restaurants that you don't know about that you HAVE eaten at then??.... :wink:

dammit! I hate it when I hear about a restaurant I don't know about. I especially hate it that I haven't eaten there yet!!

Uhh, so you're more OK with restaurants that you don't know about that you HAVE eaten at then??.... :wink:

YEAH! :raz:

Born Free, Now Expensive