• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caesar/Caesar's salad

rockhopper

Does anyone know of a place in Philly or delaware valley where you can get a real Caesar salad - perhaps created tableside?

You can find a Caesar style salad everywhere with various travesties commited (mustard, canola oil, boxed croutons, anchovy filets laid on top...) so I'm not interested in those.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

My uncle (in Haddonfield) makes a terrific one--with eggs. I'm sure it's not hard to make--if you want the recipe PM me. :biggrin:

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Does anyone know of a place in Philly or delaware valley where you can get a real Caesar salad - perhaps created tableside?

You can find a Caesar style salad everywhere with various travesties commited (mustard, canola oil, boxed croutons, anchovy filets laid on top...) so I'm not interested in those.

1. The Marker at the Adam's Mark Hotel

2. The Mosholu, if host Nick Bongiorno is still there

3. a place in Huntingdon Valley, PA, on Philmont Ave, called Sandro's I think, has the great Alfio Ganglinese coming in occasionally to do them, as he did at his namesake restaurant, Alfio's in Glenside, for years.

4 La Buca did one the last time I ate there.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My uncle (in Haddonfield) makes a terrific one--with eggs. I'm sure it's not hard to make--if you want the recipe PM me. :biggrin:

Hey I live in Haddonfield too. :smile:

I have Cardini's original recipe along with a pile of others. We can trade!

I usually make a Caesar style salad since I mash up anchovies and garlic in the dressing. When I have a gang over I make the original.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

There is a place in Wilmington, DE. I haven't been there in 10 years. Italian joint. Make it at the table. In fact, I remember the guy throwing the raw egg in the bowl from across the room (I'm not kidding), and making it. I also remember the "Human Menu", or something to that effect. The owner, I'm guessing, asked you questions (meat, pasta, etc.) and then followed up with more questions, and more questions, to the point where we had your order.

I want to say Vincent's, but I could be wrong.

Anyone else heard of it?

Upon further research, it is Vincente's. check this out:

http://www.restaurants.com/US/ReviewPage.a...3026525142&Pg=1

give this place a try. the "walking menu" is still there, aparently.

Edited by otello (log)

I also remember the "Human Menu", or something to that effect.  The owner, I'm guessing, asked you questions (meat, pasta, etc.) and then followed up with more questions, and more questions, to the point where we had your order.

I ate at a place like this once. Hated it. I felt like they were steering me toward the most expensive dishes they had (and since there was no printed menu, you had to ask for the price on each dish) or toward whatever the kitchen had too much of that day. My feeling is, I know how to read a menu and am not shy about asking questions, so unless there is truly a personal chef on hand and a limitless number of options, I'd rather just have the menu laid out for me. But others' mileage may vary...

No one said it wasn't a great business model. I do recall at our dinner. It was expensive ($900 or so for 6 I think). I didn't pay. But we did go all out (expensive wine...). I'm sure they have a menu to look at; they didn't offer and we didn't ask. There was a showmanship aspect to the whole thing, I must admit. As a far as the caesar is concerned, I have never seen it done that way before or since.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the Dillsworthtown Inn is making an excellent tableside Caesar. I haven't tried it personally, but just got a raving report this weekend from friends. If you manage to make it out there, I'd love to know if its worth the trip.

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama