• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee and Type II Diabetes

docsconz

According to the American Diabetes Association, a recent study published in The Annals of Internal Medicine suggests that people who drink a lot of coffee have a lower incidence of type II diabetes mellitus than those who don't. It is not clear whether coffee itself is responsible or if there are other factors about heavy coffee drinkers that confer protective effects.

"The evidence is quite strong that regular coffee is protective against diabetes," said one of the researchers, Dr. Frank Hu of the Harvard School of Public Health. "The question is whether we should recommend coffee consumption as a strategy. I don't think we're there yet."

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Hi,

I too, read that in the paper. As much as I like to see folks drinking (really good quality) coffee, more of it is not the answer to the diabetes health issue.

Improving the diet, based on doctors recommendation and some excercise (can you walk around the block a few times?) has proven to help.

Joe

You gonna eat that?